Red Hair And Mistakes

PROLOGUE

“Your what!?” Garret stares at Anna until her head goes in and out of focus and her face seems distorted. Anna has already repeated the news to him twice, and along with the fact that the pregnancy test clearly reads “Pregnant”, should have been enough to convince Garret he was a father-in-waiting. But, no the thing that Garret hung on to was he never slept with Anna, at least not that he can remember…
Anna has never been promiscuous, maybe a little adventurous, but she’d never give herself to just anyone.

Anna starts to cry, and Garret feels himself tearing up. They both were always so sentimental, if one of them cried the other one always followed. Anna loved that about Garret, he wasn’t a robot or a macho man trying to prove himself, he was comfortable with her, and with himself.

Garret tries to speak but all that comes out is “Pregnant?” He realizes what this means, say goodbye to college, say goodbye to his parents’ favor; his parents always believed in high moral standards and this would not set well with them. He also realizes that he has to marry Anna now, which he planed to do in the future anyways, but now things won’t be the same. It will be hard to provide for a kid and Anna in such a short time. He was never fond of children. Maybe they could get an abortion.-- No, Anna won’t even kill flies, more less the child that now lives inside her.
All these things go through Garrets head, and after the news sets in he knows what he has to do, he has found his life-long search for a purpose, to care for the person he loves and the little person he’s bound to love.
Anna however imagined her future differently then Garret. Garret lowers himself to one knee while holding on to Anna’s hands. Anna starts to bail as Garret purposes, so he stops to hold her. He tries to calm her down with a soft tone of encouragement, but Anna tells him “No, I can’t, you have a better life then this. I can’t let you do this. Please let me go Garret.” He doesn’t abide at first, but soon Anna Violently thrashes in his arms demanding to be set free. By- passers look on at the scene as if Garret were abusing her or as if Anna were a madwoman. Garret cries and begs for her to stay, trying to hold on to her as long as possible. They fight until they’re both on their knees, on the cold wet sidewalk in front of their favorite café. Anna finally settles down and goes limp. “Please just let me go.” So he does.
My lover left me to bleed alone