‹ Prequel: Damn, I Hate You

Hate Is A Strong Word

What to say...

I watched Deryk run up the stairs, trying hard not to trip over the blanket he still had wrapped around him. Sometimes I wonder how such a cocky kid could be so insecure. Mr. B sat down in a chair by the door. "So what were you guys doing?" he asked.

"Well he had come down after his shower in just shorts, 'cause he didn't know I was there. But then he got lazy, being Deryk, and didn't go back upstairs. We didn't do anything. We didn't even kiss." I admitted.

"You guys are the weirdest couple ever! You guys just sit and talk half of the time." he smiled and shook his head.

"That's not wierd! It's just..." I lost my train of thought. Considering the stuff on tv these days, I guess it was a little wierd.

"Well, at least I know I don't have to worry about you two. So what were you guys talking about?"

I hesitated. Should I tell Mr. B what's up with Deryk? I mean, it's sort of private, but he is his foster father. Maybe I could ask him not to tell Deryk. Or maybe I should just keep my mouth shut. What's better?

"Well, Deryk has been having some issues lately." I said, deciding to do what I've always done and tell Mr. B. It could only help him, right?

"What do you mean? Doesn't he like it here?" Mr. B almost looked hurt.

"No, I mean, that's not it. See, Deryk sorta, well, he misses his dad." I was stumbling on my words. How could I explain this? Even Deryk couldn't! "Well, maybe that's not what I mean. Ok, see, Deryk's having trouble remembering that he's an imperfect human being, and so whenever he does something wrong or messes up, he feels like someone needs to punch him in the face or throw him down the stairs! And so you and me being nice to him all the time is almost over-whelming him. I dunno if that's depression or what, but I don't know what we could do to help him." I spat out. Mr. B sat there quietly, trying to digest what I had just said.

Finally the silence was broken when we heard footsteps racing down the stairs. "Hey! I had a brilliant idea! We should all go to the movies tonight!" Deryk exclaimed. "See, the tv upstairs was on, and therew as a commercial for- why is everyone so quiet?" We were all looking at him. His smile faded slowly.

"No reason." Mr. B replied. Deryk slowly descended the final few steps and fixed the collar on his blue polo shirt. "If you wanna go out, why don't you fix that mop first?" He pointed at Deryk's hair.

"Uh, hello. Messy is a style, Mr. B." Deryk answered, flipping his hair like a model. I always did love his unruly mass of hair, and it had grown too long to spike anymore.

"Kids these days." Mr. B said, trying to sound like an old person but winking at Deryk. "So what did you want to watch?"

"OH! That movie Avatar. It looks amazing." Deryk exclaimed, his eyes wide with excitement. He's so beautiful, and he's even more good looking when he's happy. I don't think it's possible to love him more.

"Uh, you know it's a school night, right?" I asked him. He pretended to glare.

"Need you honestly rain on my parade?"

"Just wanted to remind you." I giggled.

"That's true. I would be an irresponsible foster father if I allowed you to go out tonight." Mr. B said. "However, I don't wanna be lame, so I guess it's cool. Besides, Miss Party-pooper, it's only five thirty." He stuck his tongue out.

"Hey! There's no need for everyone to pick on me!" I said defensively. Oh my gosh, these two were made for each other.
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah, yeah, got seriously filler status at the end. doesn't matter. it'll get relevant soon, okie dokie? feedback is appreciated. it's so weird for this story to not have, like, twenty bajillion comments like the last two did! haha