I Will Hold You Up

First,

Eric chased the blonde haired girl outside. It was pouring outside which was unusual for anywhere near Phoenix, but it fit the moment perfectly.

Eric Halvorsen was losing the only girl he ever loved.

Libby Dales was the other half to his heart you could say. She was the cigarette to his smoker; the beer to his alcoholic; the snow to his winter. You could also say she was the love to his life. Libby knew everything about Eric, and vice versa – or so he thought. What he didn’t know was that Libby didn’t like how open their relationship was. Mystery was what she wanted, and it was all that took to break it off with Eric.

It made sense. Libby always tried to figure Eric out back in high school. Of course, he was a lot shyer and closed up back then. Now, he would be bouncing off the walls half the time and awkward (one of the only things he kept from his former high school self) the other half. Libby didn’t like that; she constantly forced him into odd situations to get him to close up and blush like the old days. Being blinded by love, Eric never noticed.

That brings us to our current, cliché moment; the boy chasing the girl down the street in the pouring rain.

Libby’s flats hit the cement inaudibly while Halvo’s heavy, sneaker clad shoes followed closely behind. Her blonde hair was tied into a neat ponytail, creating the illusion of a tail from the back of her head. Eric wouldn’t dare grab her ponytail to stop her; he didn’t want to hurt her. Instead, he ran a few steps quicker and his long skinny legs brought Libby’s arm into his reach. Not missing a chance, he tugged on her arm back carefully. She made a forced 360 turn into his chest.

“Go away!” She shoved them apart, making Eric tumble back.

“Why Libs?” He knew the answer. He had asked her multiple times before; back when they were in the warmth of Eric’s house.

“You know Eric, now just go home!”

He reached out and clutched her arm gently again. His touch was deceiving.

“Because I’m too open Libby? You think that’s a legit reason?” he spat menacingly. She stopped struggling, taken back by his tone. At the moment, Eric didn’t look scary at all. His brown hair was stuck to his cheeks, making his ears poke out. You could see the occasionally chatter from his teeth if you paid enough attention. Halvo’s body visibly shook from the cold – or maybe anger.

“Shut up Eric!” she finally retorted. “Am I supposed to spend the rest of my life with a guy that isn’t perfect for me? You’re an amazing guy Eric, but you’re just not right for me,” she growled.

“I can’t be Mr. Mysterious like fucking Edward Cullen!” He dropped her hand and shook his head.

“I’d rather choose him over you,” she seethed.

“Live with your fucking fantasy vampire then! See if I give a shit,” and with that, Eric was on his heels and heading home. If she didn’t want him, fine. He especially didn’t want to be with someone who would choose a gay fictional vampire over a human being.

An angry pout made its way onto Eric’s drenched face as he shuffled back to his house. He threw the front door open and slammed it shut behind him. He went straight for the shower to warm himself up.

“I can’t believe her…” he sighed as he stepped out of the bathtub, dripping wet. Eric tied a towel around his waist and shook his hair out; a wet bathroom was the least of his worries at the moment.

He stepped into the hall and into his room. The cold air pecked at his bare skin, making him cringe. With that, he let out a loud sneeze.

\m/

“You look like shit Halvo,” Nick laughed as he placed a bowl of chicken noodle soup in front of Eric.

“Shut up Nick. I’m really not in the mood,” Eric grumbled. He scooped a spoonful of soup and into his mouth, yelping when he realized how hot it was.

“Oh yeah, careful, it’s hot.” Eric glared at Nick. He took a piece of noodle and flung it at his red headed friend. The noodle landed on Nick’s face, just around his nose.

“Fuck you, I’m going home.” Nick placed the piece of noodle in his mouth and stuck his tongue out at Eric. He left without protests or apologies from Eric, because he really didn’t feel like hanging around Nick when he was sick and the worst mood. The person he wanted to be around at the moment was…

“Hey John?” Eric asked through the phone. His words were almost incoherent due to his stuffed nose.

“Can you come over? I’m sick and I kinda need some assistance,” Eric chuckled. “No, you’re not going to be my maid. Think of it more like being my bitch,” he teased. John laughed and replied on the other end. “Leave the sexy maid costume at home bro,” Eric shook his head with a grin. “Aight, peace.”

While re-watching an episode of Dexter, Eric finished his bowl of soup comfortably. He patiently waited for his tall friend to come. Before he knew it, there was a knocking at the door.

“Keys under the mat!” he shouted to the other side.

“I thought you hid your key on top of the lamp!” John’s voice was muffled from the door between them.

“I was testing you!”

Click. John walked in chuckling at his friend.

“You look horrible bro,” John laughed. Eric glared at him. “Thanks…”

John plopped down next to Eric, observing the sick boy that was watching the TV closely.

“It’s her loss, ya know?” Eric muted the TV and stared back at his friend. “What’re you talking about?” he asked back, playing dumb. “Nick told me the whole thing man, there’s no use in lying to me,” John smiled. Eric sighed and rolled his eyes. “Never trust a ginger,” John joked. “Nick isn’t actually a ginger though, and what about Jared?” Eric chuckled. “First of all, Jared can barely keep his mouth shut. Second, Nick looks better as a ginger anyways,” John chortled. Eric could only shake his head at his friend.

“So uh, what did you need help with?” John asked while crossing his legs and facing back towards the TV. “Ugh, can you get my pills please?” Eric grumbled. John nodded and headed for the kitchen. He found the familiar medicine cabinet that he would find every morning after a party, but he was there for a different reason today.

John brought back a glass of warm water and two pills. Eric gratefully accepted them, and downed the pills and water immediately.

“Woah dude, you should slow down before you start choking,” John laughed. Eric took one last sip from the cup and swallowed.

“It’s fine man,” Eric shrugged. “I don’t want a dead best friend though,” John teased. “You’ve got Nick,” Eric pointed out. “You mean the ginger that can’t keep a secret? No, nu uh, no way,” John chuckled. Eric opened his mouth to reply, but instead his teeth started to clang forcefully together, chattering.

“Halvo?” John asked worriedly. Eric began rubbing his arms furiously, and breathing into his hands. He pulled his navy blue blanket tighter to his chest as he rubbed his legs together. John watched, horrified and unsure of what to do.

“I’m just cold, it’s fine,” Eric reassured through shaking teeth.

“Bullshit,” John mumbled as he scooted closer to Eric and wrapped his arms around the smaller boy. John’s body heat stopped Eric’s teeth from chattering, but his body still shook. “Oh God…do you need another blanket?”

Eric shook his head quickly, wrapping his own arm around John’s right arm that was curled around his chest. “Stay,” was all he could manage out. John nodded with an uncertain look on his face. “Are you sure?” Eric nodded rapidly. John wanted to get Eric another blanket, but he didn’t want to disobey him at the same time.

“Okay, I’m letting go for five seconds okay?” John asked carefully. Eric nodded. John released his grasp and slid off his black leather jacket. He laid it out over Eric’s body and draped his arms around him again. The extra warmth helped Eric; he wasn’t shaking as much anymore.

“Better?” John asked, looking at Eric’s face. “Y-yeah,” he stammered. “Do you need to go to the hospital?” John questioned. Eric shook his head and leaned into John a bit more. John was shocked a bit at first, but relaxed and tightened his grip around his friend a little bit more. “You know h-how I am with doctors bro. N-not very well,” Eric laughed weakly. John put on a half-hearted smile and squeezed the boy to assure him he heard what he had stuttered out.

They both sat in a silence, waiting for something to happen. Seconds passed, then minutes, and before they knew it, it was eleven o’clock.

Eric let out a yawn, making his eyes water. John fell out of his trance when he noticed the yawn.

“You tired?” he asked while rubbing Eric’s arm soothingly.

“Just a bit,” Eric lied. He was in fact, exhausted.

“’Kay, let’s get you to bed,” John smiled. Eric slowly nodded. John pulled the both of them off the couch, only leaving the dents from where they had sat. He began leading Eric towards his room whilst his hands were still tightly locked around him. John pushed the door open, revealing a white, plain bedroom. Practically everything was white, except for the wooden desk sitting beside the window.

“Dude, no. The brightness hurts my head,” Eric muttered while squeezing his eyes shut. “Just close your eyes, it’ll be okay,” John whispered. Eric reluctantly followed his instructions and shut his eyes. He blindly crawled onto his bed, eyes shut tight.

“John, can you uh, stay tonight?” Eric hesitantly asked. “Sure, I’ll be on the couch, okay?” John began walking to the door but Eric’s voice stopped him.

“No! Uh, you can sleep on the other side of the bed. It’s a king size bed man, we won’t be squished.” John nodded and climbed onto the bed slowly. He kicked off his shoes and pulled the cover over the both of them.

“G’night John.” John laughed at how childish Eric sounded.

“Good night Halvo,” he responded.

The night ticked by slowly, but Eric couldn’t sleep. He desperately wanted to move around freely, but he stayed in a stiff position, scared he might knock into John and wake him up. Eric also couldn’t open his eyes to see where he was moving or rolling because the white of the room was make his head pound.

“What’re you thinking about?”

Eric nearly flipped off the bed when he heard John. He breathed in and out, calming himself down from the sudden scare.

“Nothing,” Eric replied with a hand over his racing heart. He could hear John scoff. The bed shifted a bit before John said anything else.

“Yeah, because nothing will keep you up until three in the morning,” John grinned. Eric was shocked at how long he had just laid there in the same position.

“Is it the room?” John asked. Eric mentally rolled his eyes, knowing that John was sure of that answer. “No, John.”

“Lies!” They both burst out laughing. “I’m your bitch, remember? So just tell me if you don’t like this room,” John said.

“Yeah, fine. It’s the room,” Eric sighed. He felt arms wrap around his waist, and the comfort of the bed floating away. “You’re carrying me?” Eric laughed. “Why yes, I am,” John retorted.

Eric stayed lifeless as he was being carried by the waist towards somewhere else in his home. When he felt the material of the couch, he knew where he was.

“John, stay,” Eric said in an almost demanding voice. He knew John was about to head back up to the white room. He heard John’s soft laughter.

“Fine, I’m on the floor then?” Eric shook his head and finally opened his eyes for the first time since being in the bedroom. He patted the small space between himself and the back of the cough.

“You’re kidding me,” John scoffed. “No, I’m cold damn it!” Eric shook his head and pouted. John chuckled whilst rolling his eyes. He climbed onto the couch, behind Eric. He gingerly hung his arm around Eric’s waist. Eric only laughed.

“What?” John asked. “We’re spooning,” Eric giggled. John laughed. “Your point?” Eric shrugged. “It seems kind of…gay couple-ish don’t you think?” John turned a faint colour of pink.

“Nope,” John laughed. “This would be considered gay.” Before Eric could ask, John had already pecked him on the cheek. Now, Eric had also turned pink.

John knew what he had done. It wasn’t like a sudden moment for him; it was more like something he had wanted to do for a little while now.

“That wasn’t gay,” Eric chuckled. “Oh really? Then what is?” John asked. “This,” Eric turned around and placed his lips at the corner of John’s mouth. He quickly spun back around, feeling a wave of relief.

“I uh, a-about the- the uh,”

“John, just shut up and sleep.”

“Okay,” John croaked. He squeezed Eric’s waist one more quick time, and then he drifted off with Eric into a world of dreams while his arm was neatly wrapped around him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoops :\
Posted this three hours late (in my time zone at least :P)!
But...I still hope you enjoy?

<3