Status: one-shot; completed.

E-X-P-E-C-T-O P-A-T-R-O-N-U-M

Chapter 1

"Hermione, how do you spell 'expecto patronum'?"

Hermione looked up from the book she was reading. "E-X-P-E-C-T-O P-A-T-R-O-N-U-M. Why?"

"No reason." Ron bent down over his parchment again and continued scribbling.

He, Hermione and Ginny were sitting by the fire in the Gryffindor common room. Harry was nowhere in sight.

"What exactly are you writing, Ron?" Ginny leant over and peered at Ron's scrawly handwriting.

"Nothing!" Ron clutched the parchment to his chest protectively. "It's just...homework."

Hermione and Ginny raised their eyebrows at each other.

"If it was homework, you'd let us see it," Hermione said loftily.

"No...no I wouldn't! That's called cheating. Yeah. Cheating." Ron nodded his head emphatically.

Hermione and Ginny both stifled laughs. "Look who's talking," said Hermione. "How many times have you copied off me?"

A plan was already forming in Ginny's head. "Oh no, look what's happened to Neville!" she said, pointing at the door. Ron swung around and Hermione snatched up the roll of parchment.

She unrolled it and read out the title. "The Boy Who Lived: The Harry Potter Story, Told By Ron Weasley...Ron, what is this?"

Ron blushed and bowed his head. "A biography," he mumbled.

Hermione's eyes were wide over the top of the parchment. "Ron, how could you exploit Harry like this? You're his best friend, I don't understand why you'd do something like that. Just wait until he sees it. He'll be so furious."

And as if on cue, Harry waltzed into the common room, covered in mud from Quidditch training, his Firebolt over his shoulder. "Hey, guys. What's going on?"

"Harry, I think you should read this." Hermione thrust the parchment at Harry.

Harry's eyes flicked down to the last paragraph. "And then Harry drew out his wand and shouted 'Expecto patronum!'. A silver stag came out of his wand and made the Dementors go away," he read aloud.

Ron felt sick. Now he knew what a horrible thing it had been to write. Harry was a friend, not something to be capitalised on. Now Harry would lose the plot with Ron, declare they would never be friends again...

Harry rolled up the parchment and looked up at Ron.

"Expecto patronum is two words, Ron."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments = love, and con-crit is much appreciated. :)