Status: In progress

When the Petals Fall

Chapter 3

Adrianna
Hospital Room


I walk into the room to find Daniel talking to Rosaline, the little girl with a heart problem. I smile and am comforted by the fact that he has some one to talk to when I’m not around.

“Hey bro, I have to go home and deal with mom.” I tell him and pick up my bag and car keys.

“Okay. Good luck.” He says sympathetically.

I heave a sigh and try to delay going home as much as I can. The rain helps a lot.

When I get home my mom is waiting for me at the dinner table. She motions me to come over and sit by her. I unwillingly do.

“What the hell was going through your mind when you took your brother to the beach?” She said almost too calmly.

“Dr. Henderson told me it was okay. Anyways, when did you start caring?” I ask with betrayal in my voice.

Her eyes light up with anger. If you haven’t noticed yet, my mom and I are pretty hot headed.

“I’ve always cared!” She roared at me. “When did you stop?”

It was my turn to get mad, but I try to stay as calm as possible. “Mom, I was only trying to have fun for his last week. I did a lot of thinking and crying last night and I realized that Daniel may not let me donate a kidney to save him, but I could still give him the best last days of his life. That’s more than you can say!”

Her face becomes redder than a sun burnt tomato. I get ready to hear her yell at me some more.

“ADRIANNA ADARA LINDER!!! I don’t want to hear any more of this.” My mom yells loud enough that so that the neighbors can hear.

“Fine! I don’t want to-” The phone rings interrupting our yelling match. My mom hesitates to answer it.

“Hello, this is the Linder residence. Monett speaking.” Pause. “Dr. Henderson…oh, but you said. Oh, I see. Thank you. Good bye.”

And with that, my mother breaks into tears. I stand there for a second and then go to her side.

“Mom, what did Dr. Henderson say?” I ask her softly. She keeps shaking her head from side to side. I help her sit down at the dinner table. Getting a glass of water, I only wonder what could be wrong with Danny. These days, my mom gets upset over little things that Danny has done like blood drawn.

My mom starts to cough between sobs. Finally, she settles down a bit and says, “Daniel, he’s only got tomorrow, honey.”

Before she could tell me anything else, I rush to my room and pack for both my mom and I. All my anger just washes away and I think about what is really important. How would it feel if my last words to my mom were words spoken out of anger? That wouldn’t have been my choice of words that I would want to tell her if I was never to see her again. My thoughts shift to Daniel and I realize that the same principle applies to Daniel.

*~*
Daniel
Hospital Bed


I count the dots on the ceiling as I listen to Rosie snore quietly and I wish that I could go to sleep as easily as she did. It’s not that easy to go to sleep when you know that you might not wake up.

Dr. Henderson walks by the door and stops abruptly. He looks at me with a grim face and asks, “Can’t go to sleep?”

“Don’t want to go to sleep.” I sigh and say, “I have a question for you.”

He walks in and sits on the chair next to my bed. He smiles a bit and replies, “Shoot.”

“When I die,” I slowly say. “Will my heart be fine?”

He answers cautiously. “Yes, it should be if you die naturally.”

I smile and point to Rosie next to me, “Did you know that I’m a blood match for Rosie?”

“Are you thinking about donating your heart?” He asks like he already knows the answer.
I suck in my breath and reply, “Yes, I’ve made my decision.”

“If you don’t die, then she will. She’s as much on death row as you are. Dr. Clarkson predicts that she has two more days.” He points out. I heard him and Dr. Clarkson talking about her while they thought we both was taking naps.

“What percent of living through tonight do I have?” I try to make my voice even, but I know it won’t work no matter how hard I try. It’s not so much the fear of death as much of missing my mom and Addy.

He shakes his head sadly and whispers, “No more than 30%.”

Smiling peacefully, I confirm, “That’s what I want to do then. There’s less than a 7% chance that she’ll find another donor and it’s not like I’ll need it when I dead.”

All of the sudden, Adrianna and mom rush into the room and come up to hug me. I had asked Dr. Henderson not to tell them, but apparently he didn’t obey orders.

He leaves quietly and leaves me with two sobbing women. I rub both of their baths soothingly. Trying to tell them calming things, I barely believe my own words.

“You can’t go Danny, I love you.” Adrianna cries into my shoulder and I just slow down my hand.

My mom on the other hand doesn’t say anything and just holds onto my hand like it’s a safety raft in the middle of a flood. I don’t move my hand at all; she needs it more than I do.

“Its okay, Addy. Everything will be okay. All that matters is that we’re here together as a family.” I calmly say and scoot over in the hospital bed. She climbs yup and lies between the bar and me. Mom pulls up a chair and puts her head on my stomach.

“I love you Danny and I’m sorry if I’ve ever done anything that has upset you. I take all the mean things I’ve said back. You’re my hero Danny.” Addy quietly says into my side. I slouch down into the bed so I’m laying down all the way now.

I close my eyes briefly and smile at all the things that will be waiting for me in heaven. Lauren, dad, grandma, and grandpa. Maybe it’s worth it. I thinking of Rosie and I know it’s worth it.

“I love you too Addy. Promise me one thing though.” My tone turns a bit more serious.

“Anything.” She replies with devotion in her voice.

“Please try to see eye to eye with mom more. I don’t want you guys to fight over me and what to do anymore. Addy, you’re my hero because you have never given up on me even when things seem hopeless. You’re my best friend and I’m glad you my sister.” I turn to my mom now and strongly ask her, “Will you do the same thing mom? Will you promise to try and get a long with Adrianna when I’m gone?”

“Of course honey.” She runs her fingers through my hair as tears fall softly. “Daniel, I’m sorry I’ve put you through a lot and that I haven’t been the best mother. I’m sorry too Addy that I get mad at you often when you’re just trying to do the right thing.”

I feel tears on my bare arms and I know that they’re Adrianna’s. My eyes droop and I close them briefly. God I’m tired. I do all I can to not fall asleep.

“I love you guys. Good night.” I say drifting off into a deep sleep. It feels so good and then I see light and heaven. A world of clouds stands before me and light shines everywhere. A girl floats before me and I know it’s over. Lauren throws her arms around and I know that everything will be fine.

*~*

Adrianna
Hospital Room


It’s over. It’s all over. At 3:33 am, Daniel dreamt his way into heaven and I would never know how it is.

Flashing lights surround us and I can hear frantic beating from the machines. Nurses are rushing in and gently removing me for Daniel’s side. My mom is already up and shouting. I don’t hear any words though. My eyes are glued to Daniel’s smiling face.

3 Hours Later

I wish Rosie laugh lightly as her sister tells her a joke. A true genuine smile dances on her face and I know that it was because of Daniel. She wouldn’t be alive if it weren’t for Daniel.

Turning away, I walk home slowly. My mom went home an hour ago to call the relatives and friends. We didn’t speak to each other when she left. We both just knew what she needed to do and that I needed to be left alone.

As I reach my front door step, I put my hand gently on the knob. Ice hits my heart and I remember all the times Daniel and I raced to the door to see who was faster. My mind races and tries to remember every moment, every detail including Daniel and before I know it, my knees have it the ground.

One Week Later

I tried to go to sleep and never wake up. I tried to convince myself that if I went to sleep enough, I would wake up and suddenly he’d be there, next to me. Disappointment stabs my back every time though.

Though it may be pretty pathetic to compare this week to Twilight, I’m going to do it. Life for me right now is like Bella’s life without Edward times a thousand because Daniel wasn’t only my brother, but my best friend. Right at this moment, I wish he was here so I could confide him. I know that it’s not like Daniel is my love interest like Bella and Edward are, but that’s why it’s so much harder because he’s my family.

Emptiness consumes me and I can’t help, but to think of him. I miss his little quirks that use to annoy me. I miss all the times that he would yell at me. All the little moments that I wouldn’t think twice about, I suddenly remember. Random moments of us come when I sleep or even if I look at something. Everything reminds me of him and every time I remember, a little piece of me dies. Soon, there will be nothing left of me.

Three Days Later

Clouds roll in and cover the sun shining through the church windows. My black dress is crinkled in too many places to count. I look over to my mom whose tears roll down her cheek gently as Trevor, one of the cross country guys, talks about Daniel. As he ends his speech, the minister motions me up onto the stage.

My stomach feels queasy, but I stand up slowly and walk over to the podium where friends, teachers, and family. Taking a deep breath, I start the speech that I’ve been regretting this whole time.

Clearing my throat, I clearly say, “From our birth, I knew we were destined to be best friends no matter what. We may not have always gotten along, but through the good and the bad, I knew I could always rely on him for whatever my problems were. That’s what a best friend is; someone who will be there for you.
“These last few months haven’t brought out the best in me, but brought out the best in him. He sacrificed his life for two things; my dream and a girl’s life that he hardly knew. Daniel was a far human being than me. I just wish that I could have-” Tears block up my throat and I shakily swallow them down. “helped him like he’s helped me. In addition to my speech, I would like to thank all of you for coming in support of Daniel. He’s probably smirking down at us right now.”

People clap and I hear sniffles and sobs from across the room, but I don’t notice any of this. All I can focus on is the casket as I walk past it. Daniel was laying there, pale and motionless. He almost looked happy. Sadness wells up inside me and I try to think of other things, but nothing can distract me from this.

The rest of the ceremony flies past me and I don’t pay attention to any of it. I could really care less. Before I know it, the open casket showing is almost over and I start heading for the doors. A hand touches mine and I whirl around to see who it is.

“I would like to talk to you.” Rosie quietly says and gently leads me away from the door and to a corner. “I’m sorry about Daniel and I just wanted to say that you’re brother did more than just save me. He made me believe that dreams and miracles aren’t just fairytales. I want to thank you for that.”

“Don’t thank me. I had nothing to do with Daniel saving you.” I weakly replies.

She smiles a sad kind of smile and tells me, “He talked about you like you were God. I wish I felt that way about my sister. I can tell that you may not know it, but you affected him in ways that a lot of people can’t see.”

With that, she walks away and from where I stood, she looked like an angel that Daniel has sent to me to tell me everything will be alright.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay well, I think it'll be longer than I expected. At least a full 5 chapters or 4 depending. :) Hope you enjoyed thanks.