Status: Nearly finished.

Monster's Game

Afterward

Click

The room filled with a thick silence. Brandon raised an eyebrow at the Chief of Police whom sat across the table from him.

"So that's it?" The Chief asked, looking up at Brandon.

"Yes, sir." He quietly replied.

The Chief took a long drag from the cigarette between his fingers, buying time to think and digest what he had just heard. The smoke rolled out of his mouth as he exhaled, putting the cigarette out and standing up.

"How is the girl?" He questioned, his voice raspy and angry.

"She is..." Brandon paused, having trouble coming to terms with the situation. "She is stable, but still has not come to."

"Will she wake up?" The Chiefs voice held concern.

"They are not sure." Brandon spoke quiet words, drenched in sadness. "She could wake up in a few days, or not at all." He held his head in his hands.

"I'm sorry to hear that." The Chief sat a sheet of paper down in front of Brandon.

"What's this?" He said, picking up the paper.

"The report. I'm giving it to you. We are not allowing this story to go public." The Chief stated plainly.

"B-but... I thought-"

"It will not go public. This is too much. We will give a few short details and say Adelaides current state is a result of shock." His stare remained on Brandon whom took his time to wrap his mind around the decision.

"Very well then. If you believe it is better this way." He sighed, running his fingers through his short, chocolate brown hair.

"It is." The Chief opened the curtains to reveal the dreary outside. Rain poured over the gray city, its little inhabitants scurrying to their destinations.

Brandon stood up, and pushed in his chair.

"I have to go." He gathered his things, and made his way to the door.

---

Adelaide lay motionless in the hospital bed, machines monitoring her body. Brandon sat beside her in a chair, head in his hands.

Beep. Beep.

The ring of his cell phone pierced the silence of the small hospital room. He hurriedly answered it, as if Ada would wake from the noise.

"Hello?" He asked quickly. "Yes, this is Brandon Westley." There was a long pause as he listened to the person speaking to him.

"How could you let him do that?" His words dripping with frustration. He hung up and set the phone down, sighing as he took his seat again.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's finally finished!
Comments are appreciated!!