Status: Hiatus

Dystrict

Dystrict at Night

Effective immediately, dystricts Eleven and Ten will undergo a program known as the “Generation” project. Between 2059 and 2064, all residents of dystricts Eleven and Ten, between the ages of 13 and 17, will be moved to Dystrict Two with a chance at a new life. This move is mandatory. Everyone must and will follow protocol. Those who disobey will be terminated.

She squatted in the mud. Soldiers, they were everywhere. Security is what they called themselves. She shook in the cold winter air. She saw her breath in front of her. She couldn’t stay long. They had already broken into the complex, and it would only take a few minutes to get to her parents’ floor, and only a few more seconds before they realized that their daughter had escaped. She stood and started her way down an alley way. She held something tightly in her arms. She would never let it go. She ducked into a closed electronics store. Her brother didn’t stir as she examined him. He was fourteen years younger than she was. Toby, her two-year old brother, slept peacefully in her arms. He didn’t even know about the world around him. A tear fell down her cheek. Why was this happening? What did Security want? She just wanted things to go back to the way they were. She closed her eyes. No matter how hard she tried, the cold night around her didn’t fade away into a dream. This was real. Suddenly, there was a noise like glass shattering. She cried, clutching Toby tighter. She knew it was over. The front door of the store flew open, and bright lights flooded the place. Their flashlights settled on a girl. She shook with fear as they closed in.

Michelle stretched in her chair. Glancing at the clock, she noticed it had been five hours since she started. She took a sip of her coffee.
“Come on.” She said, staring at the computer screen. The blue light was visible on her rectangular glasses. Her brother, Toby, stirred on couch a few feet away. The 7-year old licked his lips and continued sleeping. She hardly noticed. He stirred a lot. She only did anything about it when he started to toss and turn vigorously. She sniffed. The stale night air in her apartment sickened her. She wanted to crack a window, but she couldn’t. You don’t crack a window in Dystrict Three, well, if you’re a hacker you don’t. She slumped farther into her chair. “Let’s…go.” She said. There was a beep, and the blue computer screen switched to red. Michelle shot up in her chair. “Shit!” She whispered. Her fingers began to glide all over the keyboard. She hated red screens. It meant she’d have to give it some effort. She hated giving inanimate things effort. She smiled as another beep come from her computer. She had found what she was looking for. “Oh, I would die for those shoes.” She said, her eyes wide. The screen switched, and now Michelle was looking at a receipt. “Thank you for your purchase,” Michelle read off the screen, “You’re welcome.”

Toby’s eyes drifted open. Sunlight spilled onto his face. He sat up slowly.
“Michelle,” he called, “Michelle.” Nothing. Toby sat up straighter and looked around. Where was his sister? He head snapped from left to right. Michelle suddenly came from nowhere.
“What’s wrong?” She asked. Toby sighed in relief.
“What’s for breakfast?” He asked. Michelle shrugged.
“What do you want?” She asked. Toby rubbed his eyes. What was he in the mood for? He licked his lips.
“French toast.” He said. Michelle nodded.
“Okay. Give me a few minutes.” She said. Michelle walked back into her room. Her laptop beep softly as it downloaded some software. Michelle grabbed a shirt out of her drawer and placed it on a pile of clothes she had taken out. She stripped naked and walked into her bathroom, where the shower was already going. Her laptop beep loudly, but the running water in the shower drowned out the noises of the world. Michelle let out a sigh and drifted away. Her laptop screen flashed, then went black. Words appeared on the screen. Toby walked in.
“Where the Hell is that remote?” The seven-year old asked no one. He bent down and search underneath the bed. Not there. He lifted his head and gave the room a quick sweep. His eyes rested on the words on the screen. “Be there in ten minutes.” Toby read off of the screen. Michelle heard that. Her eyes snapped open at the sound of Toby’s voice.
“Toby! What the Hell are you doing in my room!?” She called from the bathroom. Toby heard the shower shut off. He shot up.
“I was just looking for the remote!” He said. He ran out of the room as the bathroom door opened. Michelle pushed her wet red hair out of her face. Toby wasn’t there. She narrowed her eyes. With one hand holding up her towel, she closed her bedroom door with the other. She turned around and saw her computer screen.
“Ten minutes?” She started. She was cut off by a loud beep. The words faded away, and now there was a timer on her screen. She had a minute. This was every hacker’s nightmare. She had been found. She dropped her towel and pulled on her pants and shirt in no time. She slammed her laptop shut and shoved it into her backpack. She always kept it packed in case something like this happened. She opened her door and called out to Toby.
“Toby! Thirty seconds!” She yelled. Toby came out of nowhere with his own backpack. She grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the fire escape. He opened the window, but before he could step out, he saw a man on the street below him. Toby screamed.
“Michelle!” Michelle looked out the window and saw him as well.
“Damn!” She said. She slammed the window and ran for the front door. The clutter in their apartment slowed her down, but she got to the door in no time. Before she could grab the handle, the door opened up. A tall, slender man was on the other side. His jet black hair spilled over his eyes, but Michelle could see them. They were clear and penetrating, and didn’t contain an ounce of humanity.
“Where are you going?” He asked, his tone harsh. He seemed to glide as he moved forward. Paper on the floor rustled as he did so. Michelle and Toby shuffled backwards as he advanced upon them. The window near the fire escape slid open, and the man on the street stepped in. He looked exactly like the man who came through the front door. Toby stared at one as Michelle started at the other.
“My brother has nothing to do with this.” Michelle said. The man in front of her grinned.
“Oh yes he does,” he said, “He is as much a part of this as you are.” His words stung, as if every one of them was a cold slap. The man across from Toby stepped closer.
“Sorry for our entrance,” he said, “this is a bit extreme.” Michelle was shocked. He spoke so softly in contrast to his twin brother. She calmed a bit.
“Who are you?” She asked. The man in front of her glided past her, and stopped next to his brother. Michelle turned around to keep them in her field of vision.
“I’m Zeke,” the twin with the softer voice said, “and this is my twin brother Logan. The man behind you is Zane.” Michelle turned her head and saw another man in her doorway. He didn’t have the same air as the twins did. There was a slight inexperience about him. Michelle assumed he was as new to this as she was. He scratched his spiky blonde hair and walked past her.
“Hey.” He said dully. He stood next to the twins. They looked like quite the bunch. Zane was much shorter than the other two, and seemed almost like a child in comparison. Zeke just stood there with a dumb smile on his face. He watched Michelle as she scanned the people in her apartment. Logan eyes were hidden by his hair, and at this angle, Michelle couldn’t quite see them. He stood stiffly though, and the facial expression she could see expressed disgust. Michelle looked back at Zeke. He was the only one who looked like he was in the mood to talk.
“Why are you in my apartment? What the Hell do you want?” She asked. Zeke’s smile faded.
“Uh, well, see, what had happened was, we were looking for a “computer programmer”, and you came on our radar.” He said. Zane nodded. Michelle shot him a look. Toby spoke up unexpectedly.
“Why do you need my sister?” He asked. Logan looked down at him.
“Your sister’s assistance is required for our mission.” He said almost robotically. Zane fell into a chair behind him and sighed. Michelle continued to look at him.
“What kind of mission?” She asked.
“Please, I think it would be better if we sat down and discussed this.” Zeke said. Michelle took a seat on the couch, next to Toby. Zeke and Logan fetched chairs out of the kitchen and sat in them. Zane stayed where he was. Zeke resumed his response. “Everyone in this room is a victim of the Generation project,” he started, “and I think it’s time we got our revenge.”
“How so?” Michelle asked.
“It first just started with Logan and I, and a few kids in our neighborhood. A few years later, and now we have a massive underground cult working with us. All of them are victims, just like us. For a while, we were merely a club for those moved here by the government. Now, we have actually created an escape plan for those who want out.” Michelle lifted and eyebrow.
“Who wants out?” She asked. Zeke smiled.
“Everyone,” He said simply. Michelle nodded silently. She wondered what medication all these people were on. Zeke sensed her disbelief.
“All of these people have worked hard to formulate and perfect this plan. All we need now is a hacker who can get us inside the Wall’s technical systems and take control of it.” Michelle laughed at the thought.
“Seriously, what are you people smoking?” She covered Toby’s ears. “I want some.” She whispered. Zane smiled at her sarcasm. Michelle removed her hands from the sides of Toby’s head. Zeke closed his eyes.
“I realize that the Wall gives the impression of being untouchable, but it isn’t. We have found a way to hack it; we just need someone to execute the plan.” Zeke said. Michelle rolled her eyes. Toby looked at her.
“Why not?” He asked. Michelle looked at him. He raised his eyebrows. “If this means going home to mom and dad, why not try?” He asked. Michelle sighed.
“Fine. We’ll start tomorrow.” She said. Logan looked up at her.
“We start now.” He said. Michelle glared at him.
“You need my help, not the other way around,” she said, “We’ll start when I’m good and ready.” Logan shot out of his chair. Zeke grabbed his arm.
“Tomorrow it is then.” he said. Logan yanked his arm out of Zeke’s grip and left. Zane got up and followed. Zeke stayed where he was for a moment.
“Thank you. You really don’t know how big this is,” he said. He nodded and left without another word. Michelle watched as they closed her door. She looked at Toby, and Toby looked at her. He spoke first.
“Where’s my French toast?” He asked. Michelle rolled her eyes.

Toby snored lightly next to his sister that night. He had been stirring a lot, and Michelle allowed him to sleep next to her in her bed. Michelle wasn’t so lucky. She lay there, her mind racing at a million miles per hour. What if Zeke, Zane, and Logan were really on to something? Could they really free all of those people? Did they really have a way to hack into the Wall? Michelle hated the thought. She had been trying to do that for the past three years. She wasn’t in the mood to be disappointed. She concentrated on sleeping. Her eyes shot open at the sound of glass breaking.
“Please! She’s only sixteen!” Michelle heard he father yell. A soldier hit her father across the face with a rifle.
“Silence!” The man shouted. Michelle’s mother sobbed nearby.
“No!” She screamed between sobs. Michelle watched the soldiers around her. She shook with fear. What was going to happen to her parents? What was going to happen to her? Michelle’s mother broke free from a soldier’s hold and wrapped her arms around her. One of the soldiers raised his gun.
“No!” Michelle screamed. There was a loud bang, and Michelle’s mother’s grip loosened.
“Take care of your brother.” Her mother whispered as she slipped to the floor. Michelle sobbed. Michelle’s father ran to her.
“Helen!” He yelled. The same soldier shot him in the head. Michelle’s father fell to his knees in front of her, then fell to the floor. Michelle screamed.

Toby woke up to the sound. Michelle stopped almost immediately. She was sweating bullets.
“What’s wrong?” He asked his sister. Michelle was breathing heavily.
“Nothing,” She said. She wiped her forehead and looked at Toby. Toby looked scared. She swallowed. “Nothing Toby, go back to sleep,” she said. Toby continued to stare for a moment, then wrapped his arms around his sister. Michelle held him too. She let out another sigh and went back to sleep.

The day was too bright for Michelle’s liking. People smiled as they passed her on the sidewalk. Toby held her hand as the walked next to Zeke.
“I really can’t thank you enough for this.” Zeke said yet again. Michelle smiled.
“Yes you can.” she said. She laughed softly. Zeke smiled at that. They were in the park that morning. A few kids playing caught the attention of Toby. He released himself from his sister’s grip and ran to play with them. Zeke and Michelle found a bench to sit on.
“So, tell me a bit about yourself.” Zeke said. Michelle’s red hair began to move with the breeze. She took a deep breath.
“My brother Toby and I were in Dystrict Ten when the project started. I was sixteen, Toby was only two. My parents knew that they were going to be killed, so they had me run away, and take Toby with me. I was going to go to my aunt’s house in Dystrict Three, but they caught me when I stopped at an electronics store.” Michelle said. Zeke nodded.
“So, you were always into technology huh?” He asked with a smile. Michelle snorted.
“Yeah, I guess. Anyways, they caught us and brought us back to our apartment. My mother and father were surrounded by soldiers, I remember that.” Michelle let out a sigh. “They killed both my parents that night. Because he no longer had any parents, they let me take Toby with along. We’ve been in Dystrict Two for the past five years.” Zeke nodded again. He had nothing to say. Michelle took a deep breath. Zeke saw Toby playing with the other kids.
“He doesn’t know they’re dead, does he?” Zeke asked. Michelle shook her head.
“No. I don’t know how to tell him something like that,” Michelle said. Zeke continued to watch Toby.
“I’m sorry.” He said.

Logan waited for them outside of what looked like an abandoned apartment complex.
“No.” Michelle said. Zeke looked at her.
“What?” He asked. Michelle shook her head.
“There is no way that there is an abandoned complex in Dystrict Two. The Government would have been all over this.” She said. Zeke nodded.
“True, but it’s not abandoned. It’s actually just being built. The government was looking for workers, and a few members of our little organization volunteered. As far as anyone knows, we’re working on it right now.” Zeke said with a smile. Michelle continued to shake her head.
“It’ll do.” She said with a smile. Logan narrowed his eyes.
“It better.” He spat. He turned on a dime and opened the door to the complex. He led the three of them to through the inner workings of the complex, and finally stopped in what could be called a computer room. Toby sat on a couch in the room. Michelle looked around. Logan watched her. “Are you going to be ready for tonight?” He asked. His voice had a tone of disappointment. Michelle took her time answering him.
“Yeah.” She said. She sat in a chair and pulled out her own laptop from her backpack. She and Toby were still packed up. If this worked, there was no reason to unpack. She plugged her laptop into their server and began typing like a hyperactive pianist. There was a series of beeps, and she unplugged her laptop. She got up and handed it to Toby. “Here, I just downloaded that game you like.” She said with a smile. Toby took her laptop with a smile, and followed Logan and Zeke out of the room. Michelle cracked her knuckles and got to work.

Logan stood on a stack of wooden boxes and gazed upon the massive crowd before him. They had heard news that a computer hacker had finally been found, and he was there to confirm their suspicions. He cleared his throat, and the light murmurs in the room simmered away. All eyes were on him.
“If you have been keeping your mouths closed and your ears open, then you have heard the rumors. Zeke has found a woman who may be able to hack the systems at the Wall, and may be able to get us to Dystrict Three by tonight. I’d tell you all to pray, but we know all too well there is no God. Not after what happened to us! No, all you can do now is hope that this girl knows what she claims to, and hope that my brother was right in trusting her. All you can do is hope that the two people who have control over your future tonight don’t go and fuck it up!” Logan spat. He jumped off of the boxes and landed on the dirt below him. The crowd screamed for their leader. Logan just stood there, his eyes closed. “They didn’t hear our screams when they brought us hear,” he said, “but they will hear our yells as we escape this Hell!” The crowed screamed louder. Zeke watched the scene from a distance. He shook his head at the mayhem. He understood that they were happy to finally be going home, but most of them didn’t understand what kind of world they were going home to. They all had been here for five years. They didn’t realize that things changed. There was something Logan wasn’t telling them, and something Zeke wasn’t telling Michelle. He took a deep breath. He had no choice. He got up from the wall he was leaning on and made his way for the room where Michelle was. Zane stopped him in the hallway.
“Think about what you’re doing Zeke.” Zane said. His voice neither encouraged nor discouraged Zeke. The tone seemed so plain, so detached. Zeke watched Zane.
“I know what I’m doing.” He finally responded. Zane shook his head.
“You think you do, just like Michelle thinks she does,” Zane said, “but you both are blinded by what you think is right.” Zeke raised an eyebrow.
“What do you mean?”
“Think about it,” Zane said, “are you really about to disappoint hundreds of children and young adults, who, like us, have been ripped from their homes and brought to this so called oasis just because you’re hung up on the feelings of this woman? This is bigger than her.” Zeke narrowed his eyes slightly.
“I had a choice to make, and I made it.” He said. He pushed his way pass Zane. When he came into the room, and he found Michelle asleep on the couch. The computer beep softly as it hacked automatically. Michelle stirred as he closed the door behind him. He walked over to the couch and knelt beside her. She stirred again, and finally awoke to Zeke’s face. She smiled.
“Hi.” She said. Zeke smiled back.
“Hey.” He said. He was about to tell her what he had come to tell her, but she placed a finger on his lips.
“Shush.” She said. Zeke watched her. She shifted on the couch and lifted her head. Their lips met. After a few second, she pulled back. Zeke just stared at her. There was a short pause, but it was broken by him kissing her. She wrapped her arms around him. Zeke forgot what exactly he came to tell her. All he knew was that there was Michelle, and nothing else. They both stood up. He took off his jacket, and Michelle pulled off his shirt. He kissed her neck as he pulled her belt off.
“Zeke.” She whispered.

Logan watched as Zane entered the basement where the crowd was. Zane’s eyes met his, and Zane started to make his way through the crowd. Zane stood next to Logan.
“What?” Logan asked. Zane looked at the crowd.
“This isn’t going to work.” He said. Logan’s expression grew angry.
“What the Hell are you talking about?” Logan asked.
“Zeke is with Michelle.” Zane said. Without another word, he walked away. Rage filled Logan. He knew he couldn’t trust Michelle, and he should have known he couldn’t trust his brother. He was weak. It seemed like he was in front of the door in no time. Zeke and Michelle jumped as the door flew open. Logan stepped in with the angriest look on his face. He eyed the computer.
“What the Hell are you doing!?” He shouted. Toby stopped short of the doorway and crouched in the hallway. Zeke got up from the couch.
“We have to tell Michelle.” Zeke said. Logan smiled. Michelle felt a terrible feeling wash over her. Logan’s hand moved like lightning across Zeke’s face. Zeke stumbled backwards into the computers. Logan took a step forward.
“We don’t have to do a damn thing!” He shouted. He looked at Michelle. “Should’ve known you’d do something stupid like this.” He spat at her. Michelle got off of the couch.
“Everything is still going according to plan.” She said. Logan let out a laugh.
“Please, I’m not dense,” He said. He walked over to the computers and typed something. “There. The systems have been activated. We’ve got five minutes.” Michelle looked at Zeke.
“What happens in five minutes?” She asked. Logan spoke before Zeke could.
“I know you were a bit worried about telling, so I’ll do it,” Logan said to Zeke, “I’ve just activated a bomb. Several bombs actually, planted inside of the Wall.” Michelle’s eye grew wide.
“What!?” She said. Zeke looked at her.
“Michelle, I was going to tell you.” Zeke started, but he was speechless. Michelle started to cry. She opened her mouth to speak, but couldn’t find the words. Logan stood waiting.
“Let’s go Zeke.” He said. Zeke stayed where he was. He watched Michelle. He wanted to comfort her, but he knew now wasn’t the time. Logan grew impatient. “Now!” He shouted. Again, Zeke stayed where he was. Logan snapped. He struck Michelle across the face. She collapsed to the floor, her head hitting a small table next to the couch. Zeke shot up from where he was. He intended on striking Logan, but Logan was ready from him, and punched Zeke square in the face. Zeke fell to the floor, next to Michelle. Logan shook his hand in pain and left. Michelle lifted her head. She could hear the bombs started to go off from far away. Zeke lifted his head.
“I’m so sorry Michelle.” He said. Michelle didn’t respond. Zeke looked at her. Her red hair was stained with her blood. Zeke sobbed. “Michelle.” He whispered. There was no response. Zeke hugged her. Zane appeared from nowhere.
“Zeke.” He said. Zeke looked at Zane.
“I’m not going.” Zeke said. Zane stared at him.
“Don’t be stupid. She’s dead Zeke.”
“I don’t care.” Zeke said. He lifted her body and placed her on the couch. He moved her hair out of her face. Zane began to leave when he saw Toby in the corner of his eye.
“You’re coming with me.” Zane said. He grabbed Toby’s hand and pulled him out of the hallway, out of the building, and out into the open night air. As Zane and Toby stepped outside, Toby saw that the complex was a block away from the Wall itself. Right in it’s blast radius. Zane looked at Toby. “You’ll be okay.” He said. Toby didn’t hear him. He was deaf to the world. He climbed onto the back of Zane’s motorcycle. Zane started it and was gone in no time.

Zeke heard the explosions getting closer. He had about a minute now. He did nothing but stare at Michelle. He felt like he had more to tell her, but he didn’t know what to say.
“This is bittersweet. This is Dystrict at night.” He sighed. “I wanted to tell you Michelle. I can come up with a list of reasons why I couldn’t, but none of them matter now. You should’ve known what exactly we wanted from you. We pulled Zane in the same way, but he at least knew what was going to happen, and what we were planning. Logan took this too far.” Zeke started to cry. He couldn’t say anything anymore. He was overcome with grief. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. This wasn’t what he wanted at all. Michelle stirred. She placed her hand on Zeke’s cheek. He looked at her, in shock. She opened her eyes.
“Zeke,” she whispered, “hold me.” Zeke pulled himself up and sat on the couch, next to Michelle. He wrapped his arms around her, and she did the same to him. Now the explosions were outside. Michelle cried.
“Where is Toby?” She asked. Zeke closed his eyes.
“He’s going home.” He answered. The complex crumbled as it was swallowed by the explosions.