Status: Finished, check out the sequel!

Show Them What it Means To Be Alive

Remind Me Again Why I Thought Twice About It

we've got ambition like you've got restraints

Melanie made her way over to the boys, looking down at her feet. The ground was suddenly very interesting.

“Um, hi” She began, surprised at the sound of her own voice. It was times like these Melanie felt incredibly out of character, but she couldn’t help herself. It was just one of her quirks she had to live with.

“What’s up?” One of the boys looked up at her with a smile. Surprisingly, by the look of his eyes, he seemed genuine. Melanie continued, but not any less socially awkward than before.

“Can you guys do me a favor?” She asked, twirling a lock of her caramel hair around her thin finger. Not in a look-at-me-being-sexy-twirling-my-hair, way, though. It was more of a nervous fidgety habit than anything.

“What kind of favor?” One of the boys in the chair asked suggestively, raising his eyebrows.

The boy Melanie who had been talking to, picking up on how uncomfortable the girl was, shot the other one an ‘if I wasn’t so far away from you I’d make you regret saying that’ kind of look. He then switched his gaze back to her.

“Well this isn’t much better, but, what kind of favor?” He chuckled

“I’m new here, and, ikindofsortofforgotwheremycabinis” Melanie choked out, all the heat her body rising to her face

The same boy as before giggled. yes, giggled.

“ALEX. Shut the fuck up!” The other one returned.

“nonono. Not like that, I’m sorry.” The boy told the confused girl, a hint of laughter in his voice. “it’s just that, the same thing happened to Jack here” He motioned to the lanky boy sprawled out on top of him, “Like, last week.”

“Yeah. And he’s been going to this camp for what, five years, now?” The blonde one cut in, also laughing.

“Hey! I resent that!” Jack pouted, folding his arms across his chest, while making a “HMPF.” noise.

“Calm yourselves,” The one Melanie was talking to laughed. “And it’s fine; don’t worry,” He said as he returned his attention to her. “We’ll show you back to your cabin. But I don’t think we’re done here yet. Mind staying here for a little bit?”

“Sure,” She shrugged, knowing she clearly didn’t have any other choice.

“Awesome! Here, sit down.” He shuffled to the far side of the couch, so Melanie could slide in between him and the blonde.

“So,” She started, finally warming up to them a bit. “What are your guys’ names?”

“I’m Rian,” The one she had been talking to told her, flashing his perfect smile. Rian had brown wavy hair that covered his forehead and stopped at his brown eyes..

And like that, something clicked. “Do you by any chance have a girlfriend named Kara?” Melanie asked. If those had been the boys Kara was talking about, it would explain a lot.

“Yeah,” he smiled. “Do you know her?”

“Mhm! We bunkies!” Melanie exclaimed, proud of the nickname they had given each other.

Rian laughed. “Yeah you seem like you’d get along well with her.”

She nodded, turning her head towards the blonde on the other side of her, “And what’s your name?”

“Oh, hey.” He returned his gaze from whatever he was staring at, back to her. “I’m Zack.” Zack had blonde-brown hair that went past his forehead, but swept just right so she could still see his blueish grey eyes.

Melanie Fisher’s eyes directed to the two boys pretty much on top of each other on the chair.

“Alex,” The boy on the bottom told her. He raised his hand to let Melanie know who he was, and then used it to adjust the white bandana he wore, making his dark brown hair cup his face, swooping over his left eye. His mouth formed a crooked grin that made her heart skip a beat.

“My name is Sexypants, but since I’m nice I’ll let you call me Jack,” The one on top told Melanie very confidently, with a grin that announced how proud of himself he was.

“Oh, thanks. You’re a lifesaver”

“ That’s what I’m here for!” Jack shouted, as he ran his hand through his blonde-streaked black hair. “Jack Attack to the rescue!”

“You never told us your name,” Rian reminded her.

“Oh! I forgot! My name’s Melanie. You can call me Mel. Or something like that.”

“Melanie …” Jack said, implying he wanted to know the rest of her name.

“Stalker,” Melanie mumbled. Earning an “I HEARD THAT!” from Jack.

“It’s Melanie Hazel Fischer, if you must know” She laughed.

“Like the nut!?” Jack asked, suddenly very excited.

It took Melanie a second to realize he was talking about hazelnuts.
What a strange child.

“…Yes. Although I don’t think that was my mom’s intention while naming me.”

Jack grinned, satisfied. Alex laughed “He just loooves nuts. Don’t you, Jack?”

“Only when they’re yours” Jack replied to Alex, the serious look on his face concerning her a bit. As soon as they burst into a fit of giggles, she felt a little better.

“I’m so sorry, Melanie. They’re not usually like this,” Rian assured the slightly confused girl. He took a second glance at the two.
“Fuck. Who am I kidding? Yes they are.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I may or may not have screamed when I saw the ten stars.
okay, fuck it. yes i did. [:

I really don't know how this all works, but i'm serious when I say thank you all for supporting and commenting and reading this story. it makes me so happy that you guys enjoy reading my ramblings. ;)

comment if you liked. thank you so much to everyone who comments regularly.

Chapter Title Credit; We Say Summer - All Time Low (... again)