Status: Finished, check out the sequel!

Show Them What it Means To Be Alive

And Moonlight Would Provide a Spark

and that I would stumble across the key

As soon as Melanie had opened herself up to it, summer had taken its course on her; time was no longer classified by Mondays and Tuesdays, barely even by days and nights.

This, along with bright sunlight and careless laughter was what she yearned for most during the year.

For that reason, she hadn’t seen Alex, Jack, Rian or Zack since that night. And although she spent much of her time with Kara, Melanie spent most of her time alone, enjoying the little piece of heaven that we call summer.

If the past few days had to have been put to a number, she would probably say three or four. So she hadn’t completely fallen off the face of the earth, but was beginning to become a bit bored.

At the moment, Melanie was reclined on a beach chair watching the sun slowly sink, sending an explosion of blues and pinks and purples into the surrounding sky. Her hands were laced behind her head as her loose wavy hair cascaded down past her shoulder blades.

Melanie’s piece of mind was interrupted by the plastic chair abruptly tipping back. After letting a tiny squeak escape her lips, Melanie looked up to see a mess of brown and blonde hair with a huge smile.

“Jackie!”

“Mellie!” Jack squealed, forgetting he was holding onto her chair. It fell backwards, forcing Melanie to do an awkward backwards roll off of it as she fell into the soft sand.

“I haven’t seen you in forever!” Jack pulled her into a hug as she was dusting off her sundress.

“If three days is forever, then yeah.” Melanie laughed while hugging the lanky boy back. She went on to receive warm smiles and half-hugs from Rian and Zack.

Kara was lying on her back on the sand, absorbing what was left of today’s warmth. Alex was a few feet away from her doing the same, either extremely calm or asleep – Melanie couldn’t tell.

“Hey Kaaaaaaaaraaa.” She called
“Haaay!” Her responded with a slight laugh

Last was Alex. Melanie tried to greet him in a similar way but got no response.
Ultimately, a collective decision led to ice-cold water being poured all over the sleeping boy’s stomach.

Alex twitched a bit, “Can someone tell me why I’m wet?” He mumbled, not bothering to open his eyes.

“That’s what she said!” Melanie snickered. Alex’s eyes shot open as he sat up – he was probably expecting it to be someone else.

“Melanieeee!” He squeaked, grinning widly
“Alexxxx.” She playfully mocked, taking a seat in the sand next to him
“I missed you!”
“Yeah Jack too. You two are so clingy.”
“What can I say? Jack can’t keep me satisfied.”

After quietly watching what was left of the sunset, Melanie’s almost non-existent attention span ran out. “I’m booored” she groaned.

“Go in the water” Alex suggested.
“But I’m wearing a dress”
“So? Take it off” Alex smirked
“I’m not wearing a bathing suit under it.”
“Exactly.” Alex winked, earning a playful shove.

*

As the round clock nailed to the wooden cabin wall announced, it was now ten-thirty. Melanie pulled on the sleeves of the sweatshirt Alex had brought back from his cabin for her, holding it in her fists to her hands were comfortably covered by the fleece.

They were now lounging in the Rec. Cabin, watching the movie they had all decided upon – Mean Girls.

Rian and Kara, Melanie and Zack, respectively, were squeezed into a couch. Kara and Rian’s cuddling allowed her and Zack to have enough room to breathe. Jack and Alex were sitting at their feet taking turns quoting every single line of the movie.

By the time the credits rolled around, everyone was emerged into their own conversations “I’m gonna go out on the deck,” Melanie mumbled to anyone who was listening, as she stood up from the sofa

“I’mma go too.” Alex mumbled, pulling off Jack’s arm that was wrapped around him, much like Rian and Kara.

Melanie headed outside and down a few steps to the lower level of the deck. She folded arms against the banister as she leant into it, overlooking the serene lake by a mere five feet.

“Hey,” Alex smiled at the quiet girl as he pulled himself onto the railing, so he was sitting on it facing in towards her. He patted the space next to him suggesting she, too, pulled herself up. Melanie shook her head.

“Why not?” He questioned.
“I don’t do balance.”

“You lied,” Alex frowned. This confused Melanie a bit, as we were just talking about her lack of balance.

“About…?”

“You said you’d come see us with Kara”

“Oh! I’m sorry. We were all off doing different things, and sometimes I wanted to go to the lake when she wanted to eat and then I wanted to sleep when she saw you guys and then--”

“Don’t worry about it,” Alex smiled, cutting off her rant. “You’re here now.”

“Yeah, but I really wanted to see you guys play your music. I like completely forgot to come see you guys and ask you.”

“I’ll make sure you see us eventually.” Alex promised
“In fact,” He cut in again, face brightening as if he just remembered something. “We’re playing at the camp’s talent show Thursday. If you come you can see us play. Plus I’d love support”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world,” She smiled. “But one thing, when exactly is Thursday?”

He laughed, “It’s … oh shit. Good question.” Alex’s lips moved as he silently talked it out to himself, “I think it’s tomorrow? Yep, tomorrow!”

“Sounds good. I’m so –”

“Alexander William Gaskarth!” Melanie was cut off by Jack yelling in a high pitched voice from inside “You better not be engaging in sexual intercourse out there!

“Don’t worry Jack,” Alex called back between his laughs, “My heart belongs to you!”

“Is that your name?” The younger girl asked, laughing a bit at the exchange between the two.

“No, it’s Zack’s” Alex told me, his voice laced with sarcasm.

“Fuck off” She laughed. “Alexander William Gaskarth. It sounds… British.”

“That’s cause I am!”
“Really?”
“mhm!”

“Then why don’t you have one of those cute accents?” Melanie wondered out loud

“Cause I moved here when I was 7… HEY!” Alex exclaimed, finally picking up on the other part of her question. “Are you trying to say I’m not cute?” He smirked.

“You’re adorable. Now let’s go inside.”

“Kay!” Alex bounced off of his seat on the balcony onto the deck, grabbing Melanie’s hand and pulling her along with him inside. And although she was sure that their laced hands was a purely platonic gesture, there was no denying the shivers that coursed down her spine.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you Dirty-Little-Secret, xxcaliheartsxx, and Nivosity. for the lovely comments !
enjoy :)

xoxo