Status: Completed

Does Your Lack of Conscience Tell You Everything's Alright?

Chapter 22

"What about Alex and me?" I ask.

"Has he asked you out yet?"

"Well he asked me to go out with him at the last dance practice but I couldn't because of Jeffery."

"Are you guys going to go out soon?" he asks.

"I don't know."

"How do you not know?"

"I just don't."

The type of questions he's asking makes him seem like a gossiping, preteen girl.

Jack pauses, tapping his nose.

I just noticed how large it actually is.

"Are you and August a couple?" I ask before he can ask another question.

They act like it.

And I have to know.

"We're not supposed to be. She's seventeen now and I'm twenty-one. Our relationship would be illegal."

"Are you two a couple anyway?"

"I like to say so. In my eyes, she's my girlfriend and no one else can have her. I know she considers me to be her boyfriend. We're waiting till she turns eighteen to announce it."

"Is Alex okay with that? He seems protective of August."

Jack scrunches his nose.

"He won't let me touch her at all. Its not fair.," he whines.

"That doesn't seem to be stopping you."

Jack smirks, "Alex can't keep me from doing anything."

"If I recall correctly, he threatened to rip out your vocal chords the first time I met you. You're not the least bit worried?"

Jack shrugs, "He's all talk. I make his sister happy and she makes me happy. He wouldn't do anything to tear that apart. He may be worried about me going to jail though."

"I wouldn't want you to go to jail."

"Aw, you care about my safety?"

"I don't think you would last long as some big guy's bitch," I state.

He nods to himself.

"All things considered, I probably would end up as some big guy's bitch. And that doesn't sound pleasant."

"It's not," I mumble.

After all, I was Jeffery's bitch for nine years.

There's no nice way of saying it.

Jack smiles sadly at me.

"That guy hurt you a lot," Jack says.

I nod.

"Everything is going to be fine now. We won't let him get to you and Alex sure as hell won't let anything happen to you."

"Speaking of Alex, where is he?" I ask.

It can't take that long to get ice cream.

"Do you like him?" Jack asks.

What?

"Who?"

"Alex."

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I don't know," I answer.

It's true. I have no idea why I'm so attracted to Alex. Something about him just makes me want to be near him.

Jack's eyes dart behind me; then back to my face.

Should I be worried?

"C'mon, spill the dirty details," Jack whines.

"There's just something about him. He's handsome, I can't deny that. I trust him. He's been nothing but caring since I met him. He's funny. I love his hugs and his smile. He makes my body respond differently than it has to anyone else," I stop.

Jack motions for me to continue.

"He's just amazing."

Arms snake around my waist from behind. A firm chest presses against my back. I don't shove the person away or jump from their arms. No, I know who this is.

It's Alex.

"I think you're amazing too," he breathes next to my ear.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to erika_xtc, v i v o l e t t e ., Lane In Vein, kycoolgirl-loves-a7x, sleepless nights;, CypherToorima, Akayytoremember, Abigrace (who commented three times), and RosaxMcrmy.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
I have over 100 now!
I'm excited.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed.
Comment?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste