Status: On Extended Hiatus

Never Never

Hook

Not to far from where Rei and Peter were sparring, a group of pirates were scouring the area looking, as always, for the ever elusive hideout of their number one enemy. In all the years they had searched they had never come even close to finding it. They continued to search though, driven on the fear of being gutted by their captain. Captain Hook had never been a merciful man, mercy was a weakness, but since the day Peter Pan cut off his right hand it had gotten worse. His thirst for revenge was insatiable and he wouldn’t give up until he got what he wanted, Peter Pan’s head on a platter.

Hook went on every expedition with his crew. He wanted to be there if and when they discovered the hideout. But with every trip the man became far less capable of holding in his rage, ravaging whatever crew member happened to be closest to him with the sharp hook that had replaced the right hand that Pan had taken from him. The crew never knew who was next, so keeping alert and on their toes was useless.

That day though, as Hook was being carted through the deep forest of Never Land they stumbled upon someone. The man’s face twisted into a devious smirk as he signaled the men to stand quiet and lower the litter that he was being carried in so he could climb out. There, not 15 feet from them, was the Indian princess Tiger Lily, perched in a low crouch on a thick, low hanging tree branch. Hook motioned for his men to surround the girl quietly and once they were in position he nodded. They pulled the Indian girl from her spot, quickly subduing her and dragging her over to face their captain.

“Well, well, well. Princess Tiger Lily, always a pleasure.” Hook’s words were pleasant, but the way he spoke them had that underlining malice that made men and children alike flinch. “We search, as ever, for Peter Pan’s hideout. I think you could lead us in the right direction, my dear.” The princess glared at him as he spoke and spat out a variety of words that he could not understand in the slightest.

Hook’s right brow arched skyward as Tiger Lily spat on his boots and continued to glare at him viciously. Hook then turned to his first mate, right brow arching even higher.

“She says ‘Sorry but no’.” Smee said, shaking his head a little. Hook bared his teeth in what could be mistaken for a smile and slid the dull side of the hook on his right arm under the Indian girl’s chin, pushing it ever so lightly against the skin of her neck.

“My hook thinks you’re lying.” The captain growled out amidst the low chuckles of his crew.

------------------------------------------------------

Peter landed a blow against Rei’s side with the flat part of his blade before calling for a break. The dark haired girl was panting and holding the side that he had struck with a displeased look; she had lost her concentration but was getting better. If Peter had any say in it she’d be the best around, second only to him. There were a few very thin cuts and minor scrapes against her pale skin from falling against the crumbling stone wall, and her once white tank top was now covered in dark stains.

“I must be out of shape, you aren’t even winded.” The girl rasped, finally smiling a little as she held her sword steady at her side. Despite the steady breeze and the cool air that surrounded them Peter could see a fine sheen of sweat glistening against her skin.

“By the time I’m finished with you, you’ll be in fine shape.” Peter quipped, allowing her time to catch her breath and cool off before engaging in their sparring again. Rei didn’t respond and used the time she had to rest a bit. She kept moving though, not allowing her muscles the chance to stiffen up. He didn’t feel any remorse for striking her with the blunt edge or flat side of his blade. It was the only way she would learn. If he went easy on her she would never last against an opponent that was willing to kill her. Once she had caught her breath enough he engaged her again, going at her swiftly and without warning.

Rei reacted on reflex it seemed, parrying before allowing her arm to relax so she could swing her blade around towards his side in a graceful arc. He leapt away, steel ringing out against steel as their blades clashed.

“If you aren’t willing to kill, you won’t get any better.” Peter warned, and just as she moved to swing her sword he saw an opening and went for it, thrusting his sword towards her left side. He heard a gasp just before her blade met his in a clumsy attempt to parry his strike and the sound of tearing cloth met his ears as the point of his blade cut through Rei’s shirt. “You left yourself open.” He said as the girl growled low in her throat and forced his blade away, leaving a gaping slash in her shirt.

It looked as if the girl was about to lash out, but before she could the sounds of adult laughter and the splashing of oars on water reached them.

“What was-“ Rei started, but was immediately shushed by Peter as he motioned for her to follow him. He took to the sky, very briefly glancing over his shoulder to make sure Rei was following along. He flew down just low enough to see without being seen and caught a glimpse of four people in a long boat. Two pirates rowing the boat, one cloaked and,

“Tiger Lily.” He muttered, seeing the young princess bound and gagged between the cloaked pirate, whom he was sure was Hook, and the two rowing. A small smile grew upon his lips as he slid his sword in the straps across his back, it was perfect timing.

“Peter, what’s going on?” Rei asked, and he turned to her, grabbing her arm and pulling her back up to the terrace they had been sparring on.

“The pirates captured Princess Tiger Lily, I’ll go on ahead. Just wait here for my signal and keep out of sight until then.” He said, pulling away from her as she landed.

“Wait here?! Are you crazy?” Rei protested, but he just shot her a smile and flew off anyways, a shout of “Peter, wait!” echoing in his wake. Inside the castle though, someone heard the cry.

----------------------------------------------------------

Pieces of hair swept into her face as she watched Peter soar off rapidly and she narrowed her eyes at the swooping figure before sheathing her sword. She tugged the band from her hair and set about re-braiding it tightly so it wouldn’t get in her way. Just as she finished and tossed the long braid over her shoulder a loud bang rang out into the air. Her first instinct was to duck down by part of what used to be a wall as she heard heavy boots slap against the damp stone.

She plastered herself against the crumbled wall, taking quiet, shallow breaths and keeping perfectly still as lightning arced across the sky. Rei took a chance and slid quietly across the wall to peek around it. It was then that she caught her first glimpse of Captain Hook. Long, tightly curled dark hair surrounded a gaunt, pale face and a pair of piercing blue eyes. He had a large pistol in his left hand and her green eyes widened a fraction when she saw a flash of the iron hook in the place of his right hand, bracing the pistol.

A long, intricately designed doublet in a deep shade of blue covered his upper body and flowed out behind him as he took a cautious step forward. From where she was crouching she could see the silver thread stitched and braided into the fabric of the doublet and couldn’t help but be impressed. Knee high black leather boots encased his feet and legs with a pair of black pants tucked into them.

Rei could tell just by looking at the man that he was a force to be reckoned with and didn’t let her curiosity and intrigue get in the way of that fact. Unconsciously, her hand slipped down to grasp the hilt of her sword and she flinched when it knocked against the stone and she pulled herself around to press flat against the wall again just as Hook whipped around and pointed his pistol in her direction.

She was grateful when she heard a set of retreating footsteps and took a deep breath when she heard nothing else after they faded away. She couldn’t sit back and wait for Peter’s signal now, not now that she had seen Hook.

When she was sure he was gone she stood up and took to the air, finding it easier now then the first few times she did it. She was glad she had decided to wear a skirt and not a tight pair of jeans as she would be able to move more freely this way incase she needed to fight. Rei kept her eyes on the shattered walls of the Black Castle and flew through the first opening she could find. As soon as she landed she could hear a deep booming voice echoing against the old walls.

“If you are Hook, then who am I?” Rei could only assume that it was Hook himself speaking and she crept forward, sliding her hands against the damp, moss covered walls to guide her through the shadows.

“You, are a codfish.” An oddly identical voice mocked and there was a minute pause before she heard the familiar laugh of Peter. Rei made it to the cavernous opening where the sea fed into the castle and stood against the wall in awe. It was a magnificent sight despite the deterioration, a large statue in the shape of a dragon took up one whole section in the back where she was currently hiding out, one large clawed hand reaching outward palm up. The detail was incredible and she was shocked to find that it was mostly still intact.

“Do you have another name, Hook?” The real Captain Hook asked, turning her attention back to the problem at had as she watched the man climb into the long boat with another pirate.

“Aye.” Peter’s imitated voice responded and she held her breath as the boat headed across the water to where they could find Peter.

“Vegetable?” Hook threw out.

“No.” Peter answered and Rei dug her teeth into her lower lip, grasping the hilt of her sword tightly.

“Mineral?”

“No.” She stepped a little further out, scanning the area and watching as Hook stepped out of the boat and onto solid ground again.

“Animal?”

“Yes!” From where she was she could see the sneering smirk on the pirates face.

“Man.”

“No!” Peter yelled and she gasped when she heard his real voice. Hook was getting closer to the boy, she was sure of it.

“Boy.” Hook said this time.

“Yes!” It was almost to much to bear now.

“Ordinary boy.”

“No!” Peter shouted in response.

“Wonderful boy…” Hook growled and she could see him getting closer to where Peter must be.

“Yes!” Peter started before he revealed himself, “Do you give up?” He yelled to which the other pirate responded with,

“Yes!”

“I am-“ Peter started just as Rei saw Hook standing a few feet behind him, pistol aimed and ready.

“Peter look out!” She screamed, finding her voice and using it well. A loud crack resonated through the cavern as Hook fired the pistol and Rei was ecstatic to see Peter flying, unharmed, above the water. With Peter unharmed and ready for a fight Rei took it upon herself to scan the area looking for the Princess that had been captured.

She skirted from her hiding place, finally spotting the only other girl around pulling herself from the water near the old wrought iron gate. Just as she was about to run over to her the flash of a blade caught her eye and she dropped to the ground, pulling her sword from its sheath and throwing herself forward before bolting upright and spinning to face her attacker.

“Pretty little thing ain’t ya?” The grungy man said, smiling viciously with the few teeth that had yet to fall out of his skull.

She didn’t respond and stood at the ready, waiting for the twitch his body made that would tell her when he was about to attack. She never thought her first real fight would take place so shortly after she had started learning.

---------------------------------------------

He was in his element, the clash of sword and the tingling down his arm was as natural to him as flying was and the rush of adrenaline as he fought was almost comforting. He could hear a second set of clashing swords, but wasn’t worried. If it was anyone but Hook, Peter was sure Rei could handle herself just fine.

“It is all requiem mass boy!” Hook shouted as Peter flew at him, brandishing his sword and swinging it without any feeling of mercy in him for the man before him. He kept his feet above ground as the pirate trapped both swords and held them still with his iron hook.

“Ready to lose the other one?” Peter asked, smiling.

“Not this time.” Hook growled, using the leverage he had to throw Peter back through the air. Peter only had eyes for Hook now as he surged forward once more, this time allowing himself to land as their swords clashed again.

---------------------------------------------

Rei could hear her heart beat in her ears and could feel it fluttering against her chest like something trapped as she fought. She never knew just how exciting something like this could be and she found herself smiling as she thrust the point of her sword through the soft belly of the pirate she was up against. The man let out a choking gasp and fell away into the water, sword clattering to the ground.

Absorbed as she had been in her first real fight, she hadn’t noticed the large long boat that had sailed in, four pirates manning it, with what looked like a large cannon in it. Her green eyes widened at the sight but she was once again distracted as she saw the gate come down quickly, trapping them all inside. Tiger Lily, as Peter had called her, was frantically working the wheel, trying her hardest to open the gate by herself.

Rei grabbed the fallen pirate’s sword, taking it into her left hand and running to the girl’s aid, going as quickly as she dared on the water slicked rock beneath her feet. When she reached the Indian she put her sword up and set the extra aside before attempting to help raise the gate. She threw everything she had into it and, to her amazement, the gate slowly started to rise. Rei ignored the sound of swords clashing as they finally got it raised just enough for a boat to get out and slid the locking mechanism back into place.

She was about to turn her attention back to the pirates when a tug at her arm caught it instead. She looked quickly at the Indian girl, green eyes locking with dark brown.

“What?” Rei almost snapped, remembering that it was because this girl had been captured that they were in this mess in the first place. Without speaking Tiger Lily pointed to the abandoned long boat that had brought her in and Rei smiled. The two of them jumped into the long boat, but they had to wait for Peter, so they remained stationary in the water.

Now the fight had Rei’s full attention and a gasp fell from her lips as she saw Hook fling Peter through the air.

“Fire!” The pirate yelled and the deafening crack of a cannon echoed through the large cavern. Suddenly the cannon split apart, revealing a thick net that wrapped around the high flying teen and sent him plummeting into the dark waters below.

“Peter!” She yelled as the pirates shouted and whooped. “We have to turn the boat around!” Rei told the Indian princess frantically and she understood because she motioned for Rei to join her at the oars.

---------------------------------------------

Peter kept his eyes wide open against the sea water as he struggled against the net for a moment before pulling out his knife and hacking away at them. Once he was free he swam to the surface, choking out water as he used the skeletons chained to the rocks to pull himself up. He grabbed the nearest thing to him on the flat part of the stone as his feet found purchase. He sucked in air but almost stopped breathing when he saw just what it was he had grabbed. It was the large black boot of Captain Hook. He looked up to fight the man smirking down at him and scrambled to his feet, raising his knife to strike.

Hook grabbed his arm and raise his right and Peter mimicked him, grabbing the man’s right arm to keep that hook from digging into him. It felt like his head split in two and he groaned loudly as Hook’s forehead connected with his painfully and spots danced across his vision. Jagged rock dug painfully into his back as Hook threw him down and he heard his knife skitter across the ground. His eyes locked with the dark blue ones he hated as he was forced to grab the man’s right arm again, with both hands this time.

The tip of that iron hook reached his chest and dug in painfully, making him growl with the effort of trying to push it away as it was pulled across his skin.

“And now, Peter Pan, you shall die.” Captain Hook spat as Peter shoved the man’s arm as far away as he could manage.

“To die, will be an awfully big adventure.” He responded challengingly, a mocking smile on his face. With an outraged roar Hook pulled his arm back, bracing himself to strike when suddenly the sound of a clock echoed through the cavern.

“Oh no.” Hook said, and Peter’s smile widened as he looked at the entrance to see the large crocodile he had thrown Hook’s right hand to. Hook took his eyes away from his target now, just in time to see the crocodile slide into the dark water. The panicked look on the pirates face was amusing to Peter as he shouted at the few pirates there,

“Shoot it!!!” Frantic wasn’t enough to describe their actions as they all jumped out of the long boat and into the water to escape the fate of being eaten. By the time Hook remembered just who he had pinned to the rock it was to late, Peter was already out of his clutches, knife back in his possession and standing in one of the long boats with the girls.

He sent a smile and a mock salute the Captain’s way, barking out a laugh as the man screamed and scrambled to get out of the way of the jaws of the crocodile that wanted the rest of him.

---------------------------------------------

They were safe now, and Rei had just managed to escape the festivities at the Indian camp. Now that they were out of harms way she felt the need to rinse her skin free of the dried sweat and grim from the castle. Sword at her side and a set of new hand made necklaces against her chest she walked away from the camp, still smiling a bit when she remembered the looks on the lost boy’s faces as Peter spun the tale out for them.

Her muscles were sore and the spots where she had been struck by the flat edge of Peter’s sword were throbbing now, as were the cuts and scrapes she had attained from throwing herself to the ground to avoid being hit more. The pads of her feet were pounding painfully to remind her just how long it had been since she had run around without shoes on.

She ignored it all as best as she could as she walked towards the sound of running water. Fairies danced through the nightscape, lighting up parts of the pathway as they went. She felt shell shocked by all that had happened that day and was still attempting to take it all in. When she reached the stream that cut through the island she sighed in relief, undoing the belt that held her sword and dropping it to the ground before into it, gasping as the cold water hit her skin.

She scrubbed the dirt, grime and sweat from her skin before submerging herself completely, in complete bliss now as she surfaced quickly. The sound of someone clearing their throat caught her attention and she whirled around quickly, only to see Peter standing at the edge of the stream smiling at her.

“So, how did you like your first adventure in Never Land?” Peter asked, watching her with those bright blue eyes.

“Amazing, everything I expected it to be even though I still can’t believe any of this is real. It’s like a dream.” Rei admitted, pulling the hair tie from the end of her braid and running her hands through it to work it out.

“I didn’t want them to find out about you so quickly, but I think Hook was a bit to busy to really notice you.” The boy said next as he apparently decided to join her in the water. “You killed the pirate you were fighting yes?” Rei nodded in response, watching him advance on her in the water. “Great, maybe they aren’t aware of you still!” Rei didn’t understand why it was so important to Peter for her to remain under the radar of the pirates, but she let it go for the moment, really just wanting to relax.

“Are you okay?” Peter asked and he finally came to a stop right in front of her.

“Yes, just some bumps and bruises and whatnot. Nothing major.” She then thought back to what she had heard Peter say to Captain Hook and frowned. “Peter, what you said to Hook back at the Black Castle, did you mean it?” Peter cocked his head to one side, thinking.

“What did I say?”

“You said ‘To die, will be an awfully big adventure.’ Did you mean it?” She quoted back at him.

“Of course I meant it. Death is the next big adventure! It’s not my intention to be killed, but I’m ready for it, always.” His answer both troubled and confused her, and she knew it would take time for her to understand what he meant. So for now, like with other things that plagued her mind, she shoved it aside to be thought about another day. The feeling of a wet hand slipping down her arm startled her and she locked eyes with Peter now.

“You’re cold. Let’s head back, you should get some rest.” He said to her with a smile and she found herself nodding as his hand slid into hers under the water. She allowed herself to be pulled along out of the stream and once they were on dry land again she scooped up her sword. Peter didn’t release her hand as they started walking and Rei was surprised to find that the hideout wasn’t very far from where they had been.

She didn’t bother changing out of her wet, and still rather dirty, clothing and just fell onto Peter’s bed, as it was the closest to her. The last thing she heard as she slipped into sleep was a low chuckle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh. A nice long one. Took FOREVER. *Dies*