Nightmare Cove

Little Miss Rabbit

She watched in silence as he threw the lifeless body into the dark and endless hole. She felt her body turn into ice, as if her blood had turned into ice. But, then the warmth came back.

Just keep running.

Her foot moved and a sound of a twig snapping shot throughout the forest. She turned into shock and quickly looked up at the same time he did. He looked around in confusion as she hide behind the large tree trunk before her. Seconds went and her heart beat faster and faster as she heard him step closer to the tree she was right behind.

"Fucking tree animals." She heard him say. She almost giggled at the thought of his stupidity.

A dark maturity filled her senses, she felt a strong sense of hate- pure hatred. His presence made her feel it, made her feel like killing him just like he killed her. But, she had no idea what this feeling was or what it was called- she just felt it.

"I hate you," she whispered as softly as she could. Flashes and flashes of her kind warmth flooded her with each sound of falling dirt that was being shoveled into the hole.

"Enjoy hell you smothering bitch. And as for you, you little Brat! I'll be coming for you!" She heard him yell as sounds of foots steps began.

Yet again that hatred filled her, poured into her. She felt so doomed with this feeling. It made her so angry to feel this sadness- she didn't know whether to cry or scream her lungs out. Her hands twitched as she slowing curled up her tiny fingers, curled until they were crunched into her palms. "I hate you."

Unwanted memories caved into her head, crashing into her vision and breaking her strength. She couldn't stand it, handling it was impossible. She looked up through the trees and her eyes followed the light coming from the moon through the darkest purple of the sky.

"Mom, sing me the Miss Rabbit run song!" She pleaded her Mother as she was tucked beneath the covers of her torn blanket. Her Mother's smile made her lips curl up and her heart jump with excitement.

"Little Miss Rabbit run, run. Little Miss Rabbit run, run! Through the trees and over the bridge, run, run!"...


"Little Miss Rabbit run through the trees and over the bridge..." Her heart jumped and she began. She ran. She ran through the trees, over logs and under vines. She ran. She ran until she got back to the bridge. And, under the bridge Jake was there still sleeping without sound.

"Jake, Jake? Jake!"

"What?!" He shot up.

"Come on, we have to go..." She got his hand and held it, pulling him up.

"What? Why? Where are we going?" She tugged onto him as she picked up her bag. He wasn't running.

"Come on Jake!" She pulled him and begun running over the bridge.

..."Little Miss Rabbit run, run. Little Miss Rabbit run, run! To the corn fields and through the corn. But stop Little Miss Rabbit stop. Pick some corn and put them away, put them away from another day."...

Her hands fumbled through the corn plant, picking corn from it as she found them. "Pick some!" She instructed Jake and he did so. "Quickly!"

..."Little Miss Rabbit run, run. Little Miss Rabbit run, run! Away from the corn and into the grass, run, run! Follow the light from the shinning moon, run, run!"...

The long grass slid against her legs she looked for the light. "The moon is shinning on those train tracks!" She triumphantly said.

..."Little Miss Rabbit run, run. Little Miss Rabbit run, run! along the silver tracks, run, run! Not long to go Little Miss Rabbit. The moon will shine and be your light, Little Miss Rabbit, so run, run! before the sun. Stop Little Miss Rabbit, stop. Rest awhile eat, eat."...

"We'll sit here for awhile," she said and she sat down on the silver of the train tracks.

"Why are we running?" Jake asked her as she looked through her bag.

"Because we need to." She found a slightly clean tea towel wrapped up, she pulled it out and opened it. Half a loaf of bread lay in it. She ripped a piece for Jake and herself. "Here."

..."Little Miss Rabbit run, run. Little Miss Rabbit run, run! along the silver tracks, run, run! The moon will shine and be your light Little Miss Rabbit, so run, run! before the sun. Stop Little Miss Rabbit, stop. Duck under and over and to a path, smell the flowers but look around. Look Little Miss Rabbit! a Little Rabbit hole for you to crawl! Crawl Little Miss Rabbit, crawl. Stand tall and go on Little Miss Rabbit, go on! Don't be afraid Little Miss Rabbit, don't be afraid! But Little Miss Rabbit stop, stop!"...

Through her fear she stopped unaware of what was behind her in the darkness.

..."Little Miss Rabbit watch, watch. Little Miss Rabbit watch, watch! the crashing water below, below."...

"Wow..." She heard Jake say in awe as he tightened the grip on her hand a tiny little bit. Just a step in front of them was an edge of a cliff and below them was the crashing water of the sea. She turned around making Jake turn with her, it was like a little cave but if they walked just a bit further there was another edge of a cliff.

"Wow..." They both cooed in awe. Below them was a whole lot of musky lights- City lights.

..."Little Miss Rabbit run, run. Little Miss Rabbit run, run! You'll find your way to Grandma's house. Little Miss Rabbit run, run! You'll find your way everyday..." Her Mother paused. She grinned at her ready to say the last line with her.

"But remember what Mother Rabbit said!"