Just One Kiss

Matthew Gray Gubler

Elise Wagner stood in front of the mirror in her rather large, clean bathroom. Her intentions were to get ready for the evening considering it was New Years Eve and she had plans with her friends; she hadn’t even taken the shower she went into the bathroom for 15 minutes prior. “Okay Elle, you need to turn the shower on, get in, and get clean. It’s easy,” she muttered to herself while staring down at the counter she was leaning against. Slowly her feet turned, putting one in front of the other, making her way to the shower. Her hand gripped the knob, turning it as far as it would go on the ‘hot’ side, and pulling it up so the water would run out.

After testing the water with her finger tips, letting it fall carelessly over them, the temperature was right enough to let her get in. As she stood there, the water ran down her body, touching every curve. Elise’s head fell back letting the water cascade over her face and hair. It truly felt good to her, almost as if it was releasing the stress from her body and life altogether. She began to wash her hair, and then her body, making the shower fill with tropical and exotic smells.

Once she was done, she turned the water off making the room quiet except for the small fan on the ceiling. Two towels hung next to the shower on a silver rack; Elise grabbed one and dried her body off, eventually wrapping it around her hair, and then grabbed the other to wrap around her body. Slowly, being careful not to fall, she walked to the counter and turned the fan off. It was then that she noticed her phone that lay on her bed side table was blaring her ring tone.

Quickly she made her way into the adjoining room, grasping the phone in her hand, “Hello?”

“Are you ready yet?” a sweet, girlish voice sounded on the other end.

Elise let out a sigh as she recognized the voice as her best friend Dylan. “Hey D. Actually, I just got out of the shower so you happen to be interrupting that,” she told her sarcastically.

“Well hurry up! I’ll be there in five so you better get a move on it!” Dylan practically screamed into the phone causing Elise to pull it away from her ear.

“Okay then! Let yourself in. Bye,” she told her quickly before hanging up the phone so she could continue in getting herself ready for the night.

>>>

“No, no, no, no D. I will not wear that! It has slut written all over it,” Elise took the dress from Dylan and threw it back into her closet. She held a disgusted look on her face as she went through the rest of the articles of clothing, deciding on what to wear.

“What about this one?” Dylan asked as she held up a sleek, black dress that was strapless. “You would look amazing in it. Plus, your make up goes perfectly.”

She gave it a once over, staying quiet as she mulled it over in her head. “Okay. Fine, but you have to wear this one,” Elise grabbed a shimmering, silver dress that was haltered. She held it out to Dylan for her to grab and put on, a small smirk playing at her lips.

“Seriously?” Dylan questioned with an eyebrow raised. She gave it a once over as Elise shook her head yes to Dylan’s previous question. “Fine,” she groaned out even though a smile had found its way to her lips.

Both of them changed into their dresses, standing at the mirror side by side to look at their reflection. Elise’s long, blond hair was loosely curled, hanging down around her chest. Her makeup was smoky, causing her green eyes to pop even more than they already did. Dylan’s light brown hair was pulled back high, letting it fall so it was slightly touching her shoulders. The makeup she wore was matching her dress that clung to her body; silver eye shadow, with black liner and mascara around her eyes. Her once dark brown eyes looked a honey color, almost as if they were sparkling.

“So, are we ready then?” Elise asked Dylan as they looked at each other in the mirror.

“Looks like it.” Dylan grinned before she grabbed a hold of Elise, giving her a large squeeze. “Let’s go Elle,” she slipped her hand into Elise’s, dragging her out of the adjoining rooms and into the living area of the flat.

“So you have your keys and purse, right?” Elise asked Dylan as she herself looked around for her things.

“Um,” Dylan mumbled as she scanned the area looking for her belongings, “oh, yeah! Here they are.” Dylan grabbed her purse, rummaging through it to ensure that it was all there. She pulled her keys out of the bag as she looked up at Elise,” Got the keys. Now do you have what you need?”

Elise shook her head yes, following Dylan out the door. “Hold on, I have to lock it really quick,” she said turning around and placing the key in the lock, turning it so no one would get in. “Done.”

The two young women walked to the elevator, heading to the parking ramp that was attached to Elise’s building. When they reached the right floor, they walked out, straight to Dylan’s car. She hit the unlock button, making a beeping noise telling them it was then unlocked. Dylan got in the driver’s seat as Elise sat in the passengers. When each girl was safely buckled, Dylan took off toward the party.

“Who is all going to be at this party?” Elise asked as she flipped through the songs on Dylan’s iPod.

“Dunno. People?” Dylan said sarcastically, knowing it would annoy Elise the most.

“Duh, dumbass,” Elise mumbled in frustration.

Dylan laughed to herself before she actually responded to Elise’s question, “Um, I know Steve and Katie are going to be there. Then Steve told me Matthew will be there as well.” Dylan nudged Elise in the arm, winking at her for a brief moment.

“Stop,” Elise groaned as she slapped at Dylan.

Elise’s fit made Dylan laugh louder than before, causing her to sneer in her direction. “Oh come on, you know you like him. Admit it!”

“As a friend, yeah, as something more, no. Just deal with it. Plus, I heard he has a girlfriend,” Elise stated nonchalantly. Even though her exterior was shouting that she did not like Matthew, her insides were screaming how much she wanted him and lusted for him.

Elise had met Matthew through their friend Steve; Steve works with Matthew on the set of the television show Criminal Minds as a prop director, while Matthew is one of the actors. One night Steve and his girlfriend Katie decided to throw a small party where both Elise and Matthew were invited. The two of them had quickly bonded; spending most of the night huddled in a corner chatting about their lives. They shared secrets that no one else had ever heard about, and for Elise to share those, it took all of her courage and will.

After that night Matthew and Elise became friends, but nothing more. His job conflicted with hers, and it was only every once in a while that they actually got to hang out. Dylan always got on Elise for never truly admitting her feelings for him, but she knew it couldn’t happen so why bother telling him how she felt?

“We’re here!” Dylan shouted as she parked the car in the nearby lot of building where the party was being held at.

Elise shook her head, hiding the thoughts that swam in her head. She placed a simple smile on her face as she got out of the car and followed Dylan to the elevator. Neither of them spoke as they stood in the small, confined space, going up to the roof. Once it hit the very top of the building, a small ‘ding’ sounded out as it stopped; the doors slid open revealing a small mass of people. Each one was mingling about, a drink in one hand with their heads bobbing to the beat of the music streaming in the background.

“Come on.” Dylan grabbed a hold of Elise’s arm, pulling her from the spot in the elevator. She dragged her into the middle of the roof where the small bar was set up. “Two chocolate martinis please,” she told the man that stood on the other side of the counter.

He nodded back, “Will do miss.”

Dylan turned to Elise who was just standing there, scanning the place for familiar faces. “You see him?”

That took Elise from her thoughts, “Him?”

She rolled her eyes at Elise’s attempt to act like she hadn’t been looking for Matthew. “Never mind. Look! Candy!”

Elise quickly darted her eyes in the direction that Dylan had been shouting. She saw one of their mutual friends Candice Lapour walking towards them.

“Here,” Dylan nudged her in the side, handing her the martini she had ordered for her. Elise took it in her hand, taking a sip right away to calm her nerves. “Hey dear, how are you?” she asked Candy while she gave her a genuine hug.

“Good, good. Just scouting the place for single, handsome men,” Candy laughed out. “How have you too been? I heard you’ve been busy Elise.”

Elise shook her head yes while she responded to the small talk taking place. “Yeah, busy. But I have been good.”

“That’s good,” Candy just stood there awkwardly, scanning the crowd once more.

“So have you found any yummy men?” Dylan asked trying to break the silence that had consumed them.

She stood there looking around before she had responded, “Yeah. Actually I have spotted a few of them. Look over there,” she said pointing at a man with brown locks that traveled to his chin.

Before he even turned around Elise knew who it was; Matthew. Her heart started beating quickly as her palms started sweating. Those thoughts that had been put in the back of her mind were on the fore front now. She faintly heard Candy and Dylan calling him over, her gaze still stuck on his figure that was slowly approaching.

“Good evening ladies,” Matthew greeted on his approach.

“Hello,” Dylan and Candy both responded, but Elise just stood there staring at him.

“Elise,” Matthew targeted her individually, staring her down just like she was doing to him.

Her face grew into a smile as the two of them stood there staring each other in the eye. “Hi Matthew.” Her feelings for him came rushing right to her heart. It felt so right for her to look in his eyes; so safe and warm.

“How have you been?” he asked her individually, excluding both Dylan and Candice from their now private conversation.

“Good. It’s been a while. How have you been dear sir?” she asked him, a hint of flirtation hitting her words.

He continued looking at her as he stepped a foot closer, making her two friends walk away from the scene. “Great, but busy. I am actually directing an episode in January, so you better watch it,” he told her jokingly.

Elise couldn’t help, but melt into his words; anything he said to her sounded brilliant. “I will have to do that Mr. Gubler.”

His grin grew even larger at the mention of his last name. “Do you want to go and sit down?” he gestured to a small seat that lined the edge of the roof.

“Sure.” Elise followed Matthew to the seat, sitting on the right, while he sat on the left. Elise took another sip of her martini, looking down at the glass. She kept her gaze on it, noticing it was already half way gone. When her eyes glanced back up, she saw Matthew was still looking at her intensely. “Yes?” she questioned his gaze.

“Sorry, you just look so beautiful tonight,” he stammered out. A crimson shade slowly crept onto his cheeks, letting them flush in the dim light.

Elise saw that he was blushing and let out a light laugh. “Thank you,” she said with a hint of blush on her cheeks to go along with his. Her skin was warm, whether it was from his gaze or just the amount of people that were milling about on the roof top; she was in a complete heaven.

The two of them began to make small talk, neither of them letting their gaze from each other fall. The two of them began to reminisce about times that they shared and times that they spent apart. Elise couldn’t help, but to smile the whole time that they were talking. Before either of them knew it, the clock was five minutes to midnight and the countdown for the New Year was going to begin.

“I seriously cannot believe that it is going to be 2010. Where has the year gone?” he asked, letting a faint laugh leave his lips and travel into Elise’s ears.

She loved the way he laughed; it warmed her heart even more. “I know. A busy year for everyone, but a good year.”

“Yeah, it was. So should we stand?” Matthew asked her, noticing that everyone else that was around was on their feet.

“Oh,” she laughed, “yeah.” Both of them stood on their feet, but when Elise looked up they were just inches apart. Her smile dropped and all seriousness took control.

“Elise,” Matthew whispered to her. His breath touched her face briefly, letting a chill run through her body. “You are gorgeous and amazing; sorry I just couldn’t keep it in any longer,” he quietly blurted out.

“I-uh, thank you?” she stumbled trying to find the right words. Her head was spinning from the words he spoke to her.

His face fell as her response was not that of what he hoped for.

As she saw his face harden from her lack of response, she quickly corrected what she said. “No! I mean, thank you and Matthew,” she said as she put her hands on his arms while trying to catch his gaze with hers, “I think you are the most brilliant man. Plus, you are completely sweet and undeniably gorgeous.” Her heart felt lighter as she let her feelings pour out of her mouth and into his ears.

“10! 9! 8! 7!,” the crowd shouted into the air in unison as the countdown to the New Year began.

"Elise,” Matthew said once more while staring into her eyes, “can I please have just one kiss?”

Elise’s response was not of words, but of action; she broke their gaze by closing her eyes and leaning her face into his. Their lips touch briefly, letting the kiss linger for a moment before she pulled away. Her eyes fluttered open to see him looking at her. “You can have as many as you want,” she whispered before letting her lips fall back onto his.

'Happy New Year’s' were heard all around, but the two of them were completely tuned out to the crowd. They were too wrapped up in each as they continued to kiss each other. Matthew deepened their kiss as he placed his hands onto her back, pressing her body into his. Elise moaned at the touch of him, her mind wrapped in the kiss.

Her hands found their way to his hair, tangling them into it as she licked his bottom lip. Matthew didn’t have to think twice about parting his lips, letting her tongue slide against his. Elise had to pull away for a moment to gain some air in her lungs. She placed her forehead against his, trailing her eyes to his. “Wow,” she mumbled out just loud enough for him to hear.

This led him to let out a slight chuckle, “To say the least.”

“I have to saw Matthew, I think 2010 is going to be great.” Elise grinned mischievously at him, thoughts brewing in her mind.

“So do I Elise, so do I.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you like it. Sorry it wasn't that long, but comments are appreciated.