Pandora's Box

Take Off Your Clothes

It's amazing how quickly you can slip into an old routine. After two days in Miami I was settled in a rented apartment a couple of blocks away from my old one and some of my old clients had dropped by the shop to make appointments, it felt like I had never left.

The guys had decided that we should all go out to dinner as a 'team bonding' exercise.

"Oh my God, this place hasn't changed," I laughed as the four of us walked into the tacky little Mexican restaurant we used to frequent when I lived here.

We were quickly seated in a booth to the rear of the restaurant, Garver and I on one side and Chris and Ami on the other.

"So what's new with you guys?" I asked after we had ordered a round of drinks, although I had been here a couple of days we had all been too busy with work to have any time to catch up properly.

"Same old same old," Ami shrugged.

"Working hard and playing hard," Chris smiled as the waitress returned with our beer and tequila.

"Amen to that," Garver raised his shot glass and we all followed.

I winced as the amber liquid burned the back of my throat, "What about girls? Three eligible bachelors like yourselves."

Chris shrugged, "There's not much free time between working and sleeping to meet girls."

"So he just hits on customers," Ami laughed.

"What about you Miss Brook? Last I heard you were all loved up with some band dude," Garver raised his eyebrows at me.

"His name's Zacky and he's a guitarist," I rubbed the back of my neck self consciously, "I guess you could say things are a little... messy at the moment."

"Oh?" asked Chris.

I shrugged, "We had a fight before I left and I haven't spoken to him since."

"What was the fight about?" Ami asked.

"Me coming back here actually," I said, taking a sip of my beer.

Garver raised his eyebrows, "He's pissed you're working with us again?"

I shook my head, "I wouldn't ask Adam for time off of work to go on tour with him but then I was able to come back here so he sees it as an either or situation, which it wasn't. Basically he thinks I chose work over him."

"Isn't it a little ironic that he wanted you to join him while he was working?" Chris asked.

I picked at the label of my beer bottle, "Like I said, it's complicated."

"You'll figure it out kid, you always were a little bright-spark," Garver grinned as he slung his arm around my shoulders and pulled me towards him.

I smiled half-heartedly.

Garver had more faith in me than I did right now.

comments = ♥