Pandora's Box

Sit On Our Bed

Val glanced over at Aubrey as she wriggled in her uncomfortable plastic chair in the doctor's office.

"He'll probably just give you some antibiotics and they'll make you feel better," she tried to reassure her friend.

The younger woman nodded and tucked some of the hair that had escaped her messy bun behind her ear, "Yeah."

Just then the older, grey haired doctor entered the small office and smiled at the two women, "Well Miss Brook we ran our tests on your urine and blood samples and I have some good news and some bad news."

Aubrey sat up straighter in her chair, "What's the bad news?"

"Well your stomach aches and general run down feeling are due to a kidney infection but I'll prescribe you some antibiotics and that should clear up the problem in ten days or so," the doctor pushed his glasses further up his nose.

Val frowned, that didn't sound too bad, "What's the good news?"

The doctor smiled, "Well we have a few tests that we run for every female patient of your age group, just a general check-up. And your results all came back perfectly normal apart from one."

Aubrey swallowed hard and Val reached over to take her hand.

"Congratulations Miss Brook, you are roughly six weeks pregnant."

In a blur of movement Aubrey stood from her seat and left the office, mumbling something about needing air. Val excused her friend and took her prescription from the doctor before leaving the office herself.

"Aubrey, Aubrey. Are you okay?" she asked once she had found the redhead sitting on a bench down the street.

She stared down at the sidewalk and ran her hands through her hair, "How could I be so stupid?"

Val placed her hand on her friend's shoulder, "It's not the end of the world. Okay, so I gather it wasn't planned but you and Zacky love each other, right? I'm sure he'll be happy once he gets used to the idea of being a parent. You will too."

Aubrey looked over at her, her green eyes shiny and her face pale, "What's he going to say? What does any rockstar tell their girlfriend when they turn around in the middle of a tour and tells him she's pregnant?"

"Aubrey, Zacky's not like most rockstars. Not when something's as important as this."

She shook her head and looked down again, "I can't tell him. Not right now."

Val frowned, "Why not?"

"Beacuse I -," Aubrey looked up again and blinked, "I just... can't."

"Maybe telling him will make it seem more real. You don't really seem to have let it sunk in yet," Val said softly.

A single tear ran down Aubrey's cheek and she wiped it away but it was quickly replaced by another and another. Val wrapped her arms around her friend and hugged her close, wishing she could make the situation better.

comments = ♥