Status: Finished

Its In The Past, Now Lets Try And Focus On The Future - Alex Gaskarth

Chapter 10

After that, things began to go back to normal. We would all hang out together and have fun. Alex and I were fine with each other, but there was still an awkwardness that lay just under the surface. We both tried to ignore it, but it couldn’t be ignored forever.

Several days later I was had crawled up the ladder to the roof of the bus. I laid and stared up at the clear sky. I wasn’t upset, but I wasn’t genuinely happy either. I guess you could say I was content for the moment. Even that was a lot because I hadn’t been content in a very long time.

Alex was able to almost fill that void, almost. We were back to our normal selves, as if we were in our first couple years of high school all over again. We were able to joke and mess around with each other and it was great. But there was still something there, something missing.

“Hey,” Someone said softly from behind me. I turned my head towards the ladder and saw Alex standing on the roof of the bus.

“Hey,” I said softly. He slowly approached me and lay down next to me and looked at the sky as well. It was quite for a really long time, neither of us wanting to break the comfortable silence.

“I still don’t know why I got in so deep,” I started quietly. I turned my head towards him and saw him looking at me as well. “I wasn’t depressed, my family life was in tack for the most part, and I had you guys.” I sighed, I hadn’t really talked to anyone about this, but I knew if any one deserved an explanation, it was Alex.

He looked at me with understanding now. He didn’t say anything; he just waited for me to continue.

“I just tried it, and I guess I just didn’t think that it could ruin my life.” I said sadly.

“You didn’t ruin your life,” Alex said softly, “People make mistakes…”

“But I never in my life up until that point would I think that before I turned twenty I would have been to rehab. It constantly haunts me, and I can’t get past it.” I said and I couldn’t meet his eyes.

“Will, you have been clean and sober for like almost four years now, that says a lot.” Alex said sitting up and looking down at me.

“I just still can’t believe I let myself get in that deep,” I started staring straight up and not at Alex. “I hurt the people that meant the most to me,” I said and looked at him, “I hurt you.” I said quietly as we stared at each other.

He looked away from me and down to his hands; he took in a deep breath and looked back at me.

“It was in the past,” He started, “I have forgiven you for it.” He looked me straight in the eyes. A small smile came across my face.

He had finally forgiven me, it was finally behind us.

He returned my smile, “Come on, let’s go party with the rest of the tour,” He said pulling me up by my hands. As we both stood he held my left hand in his right hand. It felt right; he smiled at me again and climbed down the ladder first. He waited for me at the bottom of the bus ladder to make sure I didn’t fall. When we reached the ground, he turned to head in the direction of the bon fire when I grabbed his arm to stop him. He turned to face me and I silently wrapped my arms around his waist. He immediately wrapped his arms around my shoulder and pulled me close to his body and resting his chin on the top of my head.

“Thank you,” I said silently.