Everything I've Been Dreaming Of

Kevin

My fingers were a blur as they flew across my keyboard, the constant clicking of the keys filling the room was overpowering the noise of the television. I heard an agitated sigh escape Kendall’s lips, forcing me to look up at her as she stared blankly at the television in front of her. I shrugged and continued typing my email. My eyes burned from the continuous staring at the bright computer screen before me. Kendall, who cleared her throat for a second time, forced me to lean back in my desk chair and turn my attention onto her.

“Do you need something, babe?” I asked casually.

“I don’t really need anything but I would like for my fiancee to spend some time with me instead of his computer.” She said, continuing to stare at the television. I rolled my eyes gently and crossed my arms over my chest tightly.

“Kendall, you know I’d love to, but the hotel just opened. There are numbers to crunch, people to fire already, and new people to hire. This is a very busy time for me.”

“It’s a busy time for me, too, Kevin. I’m planning our wedding without your help. You were supposed to meet me today at the caterers and you never even showed up.”

“I told Valerie to leave you a message.” I mumbled, replying to a new email that showed up on my screen.

“Valerie?” My stomach dropped as I felt Kendall grow tense in the seat next to me.

“My new assistant.”

“I thought we agreed with no female assistants.” She mumbled, finally whipping her head around to glare at me.

“I know, I’m sorry, but she was the most qualified for the job.” I said, glancing over at her. “That’s what I have to think about when I’m hiring people, you know. This hotel isn’t going to go anywhere if I hire people based on your requirements.”

It was moments like these when I dreaded going into the business of owning a hotel. I wanted to spend time with Kendall, I honestly did, but with the hotel being open for only a few months, it definitely had its flaws that needed to be resolved. Flaws that only I could fix.

“Well,” Kendall punched in the power button on the television remote and stood up from her seat, “This engagement isn’t going to go anywhere if you keep choosing your job over our relationship.”

“Come on, Kendall, don’t be this way-”

“No, Kevin.” Kendall held her hands up in front of her and shook her head, obviously giving up on her argument. “We’re not talking about this anymore. I’m going to bed.”

My eyes met with hers as I shrugged my shoulders in disapproval. There wasn’t anything I could do now. “Well, goodnight.”

The way Kendall’s voice sounded as she mumbled a ‘goodnight’ back to me made my stomach whirl around restlessly. I glanced behind me, at the door that had just been slammed shut, and considered getting up and joining her.

As soon as that thought entered my mind, my computer beeped, signaling that I had received yet another email from one of my employees. I sighed and glanced at the pile of papers that were sprawled across the coffee table in front of me.

I flipped through a few files that I had brought out of my office and once again searched for the budget roll that had been misplaced. My fingers brushed up against a glossy surface as I dug to the bottom of the box.

Gulping slowly, I studied the picture that was now being held tightly in my grip. I remembered Nick mumbling something under his breath in disapproval as our mom begged for us to gather in front of the camera. Joe was smiling brightly at the camera, although it was obvious that he didn’t want his picture to be taken directly after a concert. I had a small smile plastered on my face. My fingers were wrapped around the neck of my guitar as I eagerly awaited for the moment that I could finally take it off of my shoulders. It was the night of one of our biggest concerts in our career, when my brothers and I still spoke, and actually respected each other, and considered the others best friends. Almost the complete opposite from the way things are now.

I could hear voices leaving the television in the bedroom as I glanced back down at my unread emails. I sighed and shut my laptop.

I might have ruined the relationship I had had with my two brothers, but there was no way in hell that I was going to do the same thing with Kendall. I still had time to fix this.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, we haven't updated in forever! Sorry it has taken so long, after we worked out all of the drama over this story, neither of us had time to actually write the next chapter. But here it is, thanks to everyone who had subscribed and commented, by the way. :)
- Rachael & Steph