The Frisson

Gabe

I tapped the steering wheel to the beat of the current song, some song by Cartel, as I waited for the light to turn green. There was one more block until I reached the tavern. Rolling my neck, I yawned. It had been such a long day and the last thing I should be wanting was to be meeting up with Tucker, but I couldn’t help it, I missed him when he was off doing whatever he did.

”What’d you do if I died?” He leaned back on the bed in his room of the apartment. I shot him a look and began to close the book I’d been studying.

“Uh, why?” He shrugged.

“Just wondering. I mean, you’re probably the only one who’d care, ya know?” I rolled my eyes. Tucker’s an idiot.

“Whatever, dude. Now, if you will, we’ve both got finals to study for.” Opening the book again, I looked back down.

“No, seriously, you’re the only one and don’t worry ‘bout finals. You studied for that test like a year ago, or a week, whatever, you’ll be fine.” I sighed. This was going nowhere. After closing it again, I set the book aside and looked at him, telling myself I had to be patient.

“Ok, fine, if you died, I’d cry, happy now” I could tell he was thinking about this. For a genius, he really was slow.

“Not really.” My jaw basically dropped.

“You on something, dude?” He shook his head smiling before standing from the bed.

“Want to order out tonight?” I rolled my eyes. Just like that he was off on a whole separate topic. I sighed.

“Fine, doesn’t matter, long as we eat.” He never brought the topic of our past conversation up again.


The lights of the tavern shone through the parking lot as I pulled in. Smiling, I parked the car and made my way inside, laughing as I spotted him attempting to woo some girl. Yeah, some things never changed.