If You Only Had a Heart

One.

She only heard three words come out of his mouth before chaos erupted.
Three words before the Slytherins around him laughed.
Three words before Hermione’s shoulders shrugged in hurt.
Three words before Ron pulled out his wand to hex him, only to be blown back.

As slugs began pouring out of Ron’s mouth and Harry and Hermione had to help their friend, Emmeline could only stare at her friend in shock.

And he only looked at her as if to say, ‘What did you expect from me?’ Emmeline knew she should’ve expected it from him. She should have expected him to call Hermione a “filthy little mudblood,” but that didn’t stop her from hating him for it and hating herself for not fully expecting it.

“If you only had a heart, Draco…” she muttered just loud enough for him to hear before running after her friends.
|||||

“So I see you’ve come to visit me in the hospital.” the boy smiled triumphantly.

“No, actually, I’ve come to see Harry.”

The boy’s smirk dropped just a bit. “He’s asleep.”

Emmeline rolled her eyes. “Why are you even still here? You’re not hurt—”

“I’m very injured!” he complained loudly. “I was hurt—”

“And you’re milking it for every ounce of attention you can get.” she said with a little laugh.

“Just from you.” he said smoothly.

“Liar.” she said, knowing better.

“You think Potter’s not glad for all of the attention he—”

“His parents are dead, Draco.” she hissed into the quiet of the Hospital Wing, trying to not wake Harry.

“Well poor Potter. We should all grovel at his feet because he’s a bloody orphan—”

“You think he choose for that to happen? You think he wants to be an orphan? I can’t believe that you’re so jealous of him—”

“What’s there to be jealous of?” Draco insisted. “Friends like Weasley and Granger? Being a teacher’s pet? Being—”

“He didn’t ask for any of this!”

“Maybe, Emmeline, it’s not me that’s jealous of Potter, its you that’s in love with him.”

“I’m not in love with Harry. He’s my best friend.”

“I’m your best friend.”

She laughed and she hoped the sound cut through him. “You really think that?”

“Well…of course. We have been since we were little and I’m not going to let Potter—”

“Does everything have to be a competition with you?”

“With Potter, ye—”

“I am not a game! My friendship is not something for the victor to have!”

“Emmy—”

“Draco, are we friends because you’re competing with Harry? Because he isn’t playing that game with you and I won’t be apart of it!” she stomped to the door but stopped, “I hope you feel better.”

She left him then. But she knew in a matter of days or maybe a week or two, she’d back, putting up with him.

Emmeline hated herself for her weak spine but she couldn’t abandon her friend.

|||||

She dropped her books onto the library table and took the seat next to him.

“Well…?” she asked quietly when he showed no reaction to her presence.

“Well what?” he asked as he flipped a page in the book he was reading.

“Are you?” she asked, almost afraid of getting the answer that her friends were so convinced of.

“Am I what?” he asked again.

“Merlin, Draco! Stop playing around!”

He looked up at her briefly before returning his gaze to the book. “Am I what?” he repeated as he continued to flip through his book carelessly.

“The heir!” she hissed as she slammed her hand down on the pages of the book to make him look at her.

His eyes shot over to hers; he didn’t bother to brush the strand of blonde hair that hung in his face out of the way.

“I’m not the heir.” he said smoothly.

But Emmeline only looked at him, not sure if she believed him. It was one of the worst things she had ever experienced. She, for a burning, terrorizing moment, did not recognize her oldest friend.

“I’m not the heir.” he said again because he could see it in her eyes—he was losing her. “I promise.” If he had it in him, he would’ve smiled at her. He was satisfied, however, with the result those two words had given him.

She smiled at him so of course he had to wipe it away.

“You should’ve known I wasn’t because, if I was, Granger would’ve been the first mudblood attacked. And I would have killed her.” And to finish it off, he smirked at her.

And she, enraptured by her friend, could only roll her eyes and shake her head. She let out an incredulous little laugh and rested her forehead in her hand and shook her head. She questioned why she was friends with this boy.

“If you only had a heart, Draco.” she promised.

Draco Malfoy would never know what would happen if he had a heart until it was too late to change anything.