This Is My World

1/1

I groaned and threw my pencil at the desk, as if that would back anything better, it was this stupid question.
Stupid maths.
Stupid me.
I heard a laugh from next to me and looked up to see my friend highly amused by my confusion. I watched as his hair bounced as he laughed and stifled a giggle.
“It’s not funny.” I muttered, reaching back for my pencil so I could change my answer.
“Your laughing.” He whispered as the teacher hushed us, I heard him laugh lightly again and put my head back down to finish the question. I scribbled down the question again before looking back at his answers.
“At your face.” I finished, copying down the rest of the answer. Maths was simpler in year one, they taught you to count and a few times tables and hey you passed. The bell rang and we walked out of class together, it was the last lesson on a Friday and it meant we were left with the weekend to party and the following Monday to suffer.

I stared in the mirror and sighed. My hair was short and damaged from the amount of products that I had used on it over the last few years of school. It was currently blond with pink in it here and there. My figure was half way decent, although I hadn’t been happy with it for a few months now, I gained weight and everyone but me preferred me this way. I stared at my corset style top and tight jeans, I looked ok, a bit short but that could be fixed with a pair of high heels.
High heels can fix everything.
Except maths.
Nothing can fix maths.

I flashed my ID and went into the disco, it was nothing special, and it was where most Friday nights started. I went straight over to the bar and ordered a coke; it was early to be drinking. I chatted to the barmaid, we knew each other well from the amount of time I had come in here, petty much every week since my birthday.
I walked over to one of the tables, where some of the girls I knew were, ones that I spent a lot of time with when I was here, they were a few years older then me, but not much. One of them was dancing on the table and the others wee laughing at her and as I sat down I joined in.
I heard the familiar tune and then we were all scrambling to get on the table as quickly as we could. The table could just about hold us all without us falling off and we started singing. People stated staring at us because of how load we were singing but we didn’t take any notice; we just carried on shouting over the music.

I saw him dancin' there by the record machine I knew he must a been about seventeen The beat was goin' strong Playin' my favorite song An' I could tell it wouldn't be long Till he was with me, yeah me And I could tell it wouldn't be long Till he was with me, yeah me, singin'
I love rock n' roll So put another dime in the jukebox, baby I love rock n' roll So come and take your time and dance with me Ow! He smiled so I got up and asked for his name That don't matter, he said, 'Cause it's all the same Said can I take you home where we can be alone An' next we were movin' on He was with me, yeah me Next we were movin' on He was with me, yeah me, singin' I love rock n' roll So put another dime in the jukebox, baby I love rock n' roll So come an' take your time an' dance with me Ow! Said can I take you home where we can be alone Next we were movin' on He was with me, yeah me, An we'll be movin' on An' singin' that same old song Yeah with me, singin' I love rock n' roll So put another dime in the jukebox, baby I love rock n' roll So come an' take your time an' dance with me I love rock n' roll So put another dime in the jukebox, baby I love rock n' roll So come an' take your time an' dance with I love rock n' roll So put another dime in the jukebox, baby I love rock n' roll
So come an' take your time an' dance with I love rock n' roll So put another dime in the jukebox, baby I love rock n' roll So come an' take your time an' dance with I love rock n' roll
So put another dime in the jukebox, baby I love rock n' roll So come an' take your time an' dance with me


We laughed as we helped each other off the table, we were all wearing heels and it was difficult. I was about to step off the table when I saw someone staring at us, no me. It was my maths friend; I smiled as I climbed off the table and tried not to break my ankle in the process. I walked over to him and hugged him, inhaling his musky smell of the spay he used. We smiled at each other and I followed him over to the bar.
“This is my world.” I said, I knew the barmaid was listening, but so was he. I think I meant the bar, the parties, but my heart was telling me I meant him, he was my world.
He ordered two shots and I beat him, necking it a lot quicker then him, but we both laughed and I was mesmerized, his whole face lit up, illuminated by the dark. He looked beautiful. He stuttered a few things and I was slightly taken back by his lack of confidence. I heard the opening to living on a prayer and he lead me to the dance floor, he took me in his arms and started to sway me, I put my head on his shoulder and it was is if it was meant to be this way, I looked over to the table I had been sitting at to see the girls making kissy faces and humping each other. I gave them the middle finger and ignored them as we danced he sung every word in my ear, his voice sounded amazing, I had never heard him sing like this before but I was glad I could hear him now.

Tommy used to work on the docks Union's been on strike He's down on his luck...it's tough, so tough Gina works the diner all day Working for her man, she brings home her pay For love - for love She says: We've got to hold on to what we've got 'Cause it doesn't make a difference If we make it or not We've got each other and that's a lot For love - we'll give it a shot We're half way there Livin' on a prayer Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear Livin' on a prayer Tommy got his six string in hock Now he's holding in what he used To make it talk - so tough, it's tough Gina dreams of running away When she cries in the night Tommy whispers: Baby it's okay, someday We've got to hold on to what we've got
'Cause it doesn't make a difference If we make it or not We've got each other and that's a lot For love - we'll give it a shot We're half way there Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear Livin' on a prayer We've got to hold on ready or not You live for the fight when it's all that you've got We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear Livin' on a prayer


He led me outside and I followed, we had been such strong friends the last year I couldn’t imagine not following him. He hugged me and protected me from the cold, and I smiled gratefully. His lips pressed gently to mine but before I could kiss back he had pulled away.
“I’m leaving in the morning, I’m never going to see you again.” He whispered. I looked at him, at the sadness in his eyes and knew it was true.
“I’ll never forget you.” He whispered, his hand messed up my hair slightly, but I caught it and held it loosely.
“I’ll never forget you either.” I told him as he walked away, not letting go of my hand until he had to. I let him go and walked back inside.

This was my world.
My world with my fiends.
Where I have more friends than just math boy.
But none of my friends will ever be like math boy.