Am I Worth the Chance

Home

My feet shuffled up the driveway leading to the front door. When I stood in front of the door my body quivered.I lifted a shaking hand and placed it on the doorknob, loosely at first but then firmly. I gulped and took a deep breath of air.

My hand twisted the gold plated knob. I pushed the door open slowly, stepped in and closed the door quietly behind me. I kicked off my shoes and prayed that I was alone in the house.

In the distance I could hear the loud click of stilettos, clicking against the marble floor.

Apparently my prayer was denied.

The clicks continued to grow louder and come closer to me.

Finally the clicking ceased.

I looked up with a cold stare, only to meet my mothers even colder one. I looked quickly back down, as though I might turn to stone if I continued to stare at my mother any longer.

"Well?" ,her voice said. I could her the malice in it.

"Well what?", I answered back defiantly. My mother slapped me across my face right then and there.

"Don't you dare talk to me with that tone."

I kept my face turned in the direction she had slapped me in. My eyes bored into the marble floor, focusing hard in order to keep the tears that formed from spilling over. I clenched my teeth, trying not to grind them. "Sorry.", I spat between my teeth.

My mother stared at me coldly. "Leave. Get out of my sight. I don't want to see you."

I straightened myself up, making sure my eyes stayed glued to the marble floor. I fixed my backpack on my shoulder and walked around the cruel woman.

I was half way to the stairs when my sneakers were thrown at my head. I fell face first into the floor. "Don't forget to take your shoes. I don't want them polluting my hallway.", she harshly said. I could sense the satisfied smirk placed on that hideous face of hers.

"Bitch...", I muttered under my breath lowly.

"Excuse me?", she raised her voice slightly.

"Nothing, Samantha.", I said. I never used the words "Mommy", "Mom", "Daddy", "Pop". "Dad" or anything that showed that I was in any way related to either of my parents.

I picked up the sneakers, after picking myself up off the ground. I trudged up the steps, hoping that I wouldn't be forced to see my father.

Seems like today wasn't my lucky day

I turned the corner of the hallway that lead to my room and bumped into something - or someone - causing me to fall onto the ground... Again.

"WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!! Freaking brat." My father shouted.

"Yeah. Hello to you too..." I mumbled lowly.

"Watch yourself!" He snapped and kicked my leg. I whimpered in pain as he watched me with yet another one of his disgusting satisfied smirks. Without another word he strode around me, stepping on my hand and knocking over my belongings.

I waited until I could no longer hear his footsteps in order to pick myself up. I winced and whimpered from the pain. Tears burned my eyes as I picked up my stuff and hurried into the safety of my room. I took out the key and unlocked the door so that I could get in. I had started using a lock and key for my room when their beating became worse to the point where I wondered how I wasn't dead yet.

Once inside I shut the door behind me and locked it. I walked over to my bed and dropped down onto it. My arms wrapped around my pillow and hugged it close to my face as I sobbed.

Hot tears streamed down my cheeks, slightly stinging yesterday's injury, but I couldn't make myself stop. My heart felt like it was being stabbed over and over again. I stayed like that for a couple of hours until my body felt heavy.

My eyelids slid closed and I slowly drifted off into a short sleep...