Your Song

Backstage

Xx-zarah-xX

The show ended not to long after that. Meisa and I waited for the arena to empty some before heading backstage.

We were stopped by security before we got to far back. We tried to explain to them that we were asked to come back here, but they didn't believe us. They clearly weren't going to let us through... until Jeff showed up.

"ZARAH!" he yelled.

He pushed his way through the security guards and tackled me to the ground with his giant sweat covered body.

"Hi Jeff." I said from under him.

"I missed you so much, Zarah!" he exclaimed still hugging me.

By then security was probably able to figure out that Jeff and I knew each other. They finally left when he looked up at them from the ground and said, "She's with me."

"I missed you so much!" he said again smiling.

"I missed you too Jeff." I said smiling back at him. "Uh, Jeff, you're kinda crushing me."

"Sorry." he said.

He rolled off me and stood up, then grabbed my arm and helped me up.

Once we were both standing, I got a real look at him. He was more muscular than I remembered, but then again he had been wrestling for ten years and was bound to build up some extra muscle. His face was covered with smeared purple, black, and white face paint and his hair was the longest I had ever seen it – at shoulder length – but he still looked like the Jeff I knew when we were younger. He was wearing all black except for a purple studded belt and white arm band things – he was dressing darker than I remembered.

"Zarah?"

We both looked at Meisa, who looked shocked.

"Oh, sorry, Jeff this is Meisa, Meisa this is Jeff." I said introducing them.

Jeff smiled at her and politely shook her hand.

She turned to look at me, still holding Jeff's hand. "You know Jeff Hardy?" she said still sounding shocked.

"And Matt." Jeff said letting go of her hand. "The three of us used to be really close before my brother and I got signed."

"I see." was all she said.

"Speaking of Matt, have you seen him yet?" Jeff asked trying to wipe some of his face paint off.

"Just during the show, when he wrestled." I said.

"We gotta get him out here to see you!" he said. "He'll be so happy to see you! He'll probably tackle you too!"

I smiled as he grabbed his phone out of his bag and dialed it. I half hoped Matt wouldn't answer.

"Hey Matt," Jeff said into the phone. "I have something I want you to see... yeah... I'm close to Teddy's office... alright... bye."

He ended the call. "He'll be here in a minute."

My stomach started hurting like it usually did when I was really nervous. What would Matt say? What would I say? Would he even be happy to see me? I was about to find out.

I saw him coming from a distance. Hurricane Helms was with him, causing Meisa to "OHMYGOD!" in a hushed voice about a million times.

The Hurricane suddenly moved in a way that was really familiar. I wonder if I know him...

Matt was smiling. The Hurricane said something and they both laughed.

God, I missed hearing his laugh...

As they drew closer, Matt finally looked at us. He stopped smiling and froze as we locked eyes for the second time that night. The Hurricane stopped too. He looked from Matt to me and was suddenly running at me with a huge smile on his face.

I heard Jeff laugh and turned to look at him before being tackled to the ground again.

"Zarah! Holy shit! What are you doing here?!" The Hurricane exclaimed from on top of me.

"Um... have we met?" I asked.

I heard Jeff and Matt laugh from somewhere above me.

The Hurricane sat up, still on top of me, and laughed. "It's me!" he said whipping off his mask. "Shane Helms!"

"Shane!" I exclaimed sitting up underneath him and hugging him. "I missed you!"

Shane Helms was another one of my friends that left to become a WWE wrestler. I hadn't been as close to Shane as I was to Matt and Jeff, but I was still really sad when he left after them.

He laughed again and hugged me back. "That's more like it! I missed you to."

We finally let go of each other and stood up. I unwillingly turned to face Matt Hardy, who had been watching me the whole time.

"Hi Matt." I said softly.

"Hey Zarah." he said just as softly.

We didn't really say much to each other after that; it was kind of awkward between the two of us. It was mostly Jeff and Shane talking about things I had missed with them and asking about what's been going on with me. I also noticed that Shane couldn't take his eyes off Meisa.

I was listening to Jeff tell a story about how he had almost broke his arm for real in his match last week, when I suddenly got the feeling that someone was watching me. I looked away from Jeff and locked eyes with Matt.

"Zarah?"

I blinked and looked back at Jeff. "What?" I asked.

"I asked if you wanted to come to the show next week." Jeff said sounding a little put out.

"I don't know." I said. I didn't want to say no right away and make him feel bad. "I think I have to work that day."

"Couldn't you ask for it off?" Shane asked.

"I could, but I don't know if my boss will let me..." I said.

I tried to think of a way to get out of this. I was glad I came. I got to see Jeff and Shane... and Matt... But Matt was starting to make me feel like he would rather I left and never came back.

"Plus Meisa and I would probably need plane tickets to what ever city it's in."

"We'll pay for your tickets!" Jeff exclaimed.

"Jeff, I won't let yo-"

"Please!" Jeff and Shane said. Both fully groan, muscular men got down on their knees and grabbed my pant legs. "Please! Please! Please! Please!"

"I still don't know-"

"You should come."

Totally shocked, I looked up at Matt. We locked eyes again and he faintly smiled. There went me thinking that he didn't want me here....

"PLEASE!!!" Jeff and Shane begged tugging on my pant legs more.

I looked at Meisa, who was begging me with her eyes. I could tell she was about to break out with the puppy-dog pout.

"Fine." I said. "We'll try and come."

"YES!!!" Jeff and Shane yelled standing up and hugging me really, really tight.

We stayed for a long time after that just hanging out. We didn't end up leaving until security came and told us they were closing the arena for the night. Jeff, Matt, and Shane were gentlemen and walked Meisa and I out to our car.

"It was really nice seeing you guys again." I said.

I hugged Jeff and Shane. I turned to look at Matt, but he didn't move. I just smiled and nodded at him before getting in the car.

As Meisa drove away, I stuck my head out my window and waved until the three men were little dots that were eventually swallowed up by the darkness.

During the ride home, Meisa talked non-stop about how awesome that was and how she couldn't wait for the next week. She told me that I would need to call Jeff and ask what city it was going to be in [we had exchanged numbers earlier].

I was able to tune her out for most of the car ride, I couldn't stop thinking about Matt and how he had acted back at the arena...