Your Song

Mental Beating

Xx-matt-xX

Jeff and Shane waved as Meisa and Zarah drove away. Zarah stuck her head out her window and waved back. Even from afar I could tell that she was watching me. I put my hand up and waved half-heartedly.

If she didn't already hate me for leaving her ten years ago – no, not leave, more like ditch, without meaning to I had ditched her to follow my dreams – she probably did after the way I had acted tonight. I don't think I even said more than five words to her.

"I can't believe we got to see Zarah!" Jeff exclaimed once their car had disappeared.

"Yeah," said Shane. "It was good to see her after all these years."

"I can't wait for the show next week!" Jeff said.

They continued to talk about Zarah as we started walking to our own cars. I stayed silent and walked a few steps behind them. I was mentally beating myself up for acting like such an ass to her.

I should have said more! Now she thinks I don't like her anymore! God! I'm so stupid!

"Matt, why didn't you talk to Zarah more?" Shane suddenly asked turning to look at me. "You two used to be best friends."

I just shrugged my shoulders and kept walking.

"Yeah," said Jeff. "I thought you would have talked to her a lot more, especially since you used to be so in love with her when we were younger."

"I KNEW IT!" Shane yelled smiling.

Jeff and I both stopped walking and turned to look at him.

"What?" he said. "Shannon and I always used to argue about it. He thought you two were just friends, but I always thought there was something more."

We started walking again. "Do you still love her?" Jeff asked.

"I don't know." I said. "It's been so long. Things have probably changed since we last saw her. She might even have a boyfriend now... or a husband..."

My heart sank at the thought of Zarah with another man.

"Well you should talk to her next week." Shane said. "I mean really talk to her."

"I will." I said staring at the ground as we walked.

"I mean it." Shane said.

I sighed. "I know, and I will."

Just as we reached our cars, Teddy Long appeared out of nowhere and scared the shit out of us.

"Don't do that Teddy!" I exclaimed clutching at my chest where my heart was.

"Sorry." he said. "I just wanted to catch you three before you left."

"What is it?" Jeff asked.

"Next week The Hardys are going to have a Tag Team match against CM Punk and Luke Gallows. And Shane, you will be in a match with Drew McIntyre."

We all nodded.

"Hey Teddy," Jeff said. "I was wondering if I could get two front row tickets to next week's taping. Someone really important is going to be there and we want them to have good seats."

"Is it Beth?" he asked smiling.

"No," said Shane. "Actually it's someone coming mainly to see Matt, and she's bringing her cute friend."

I rolled my eyes. It had been really obvious all night that Shane was interested in Zarah's friend Meisa.

"Well, I'll see what I can do." Teddy said before walking away. "Goodnight boys."

We called our goodbyes to Teddy and said bye to each other, before getting into our cars and heading home.

The whole drive home, I couldn't stop thinking about Zarah. I was trying to figure out what I would say to her when I saw her. I wanted to make sure I said the right things and didn't make a huge ass out of myself. I wanted to show her that I still wanted to be friends.

When I got home, I was only half aware of what I was doing. I was still thinking about next week when I would see Zarah again. I was going to be worrying about this for a long time...

I crawled into my bed and turned the light off, still thinking about Zarah. My last thought before falling asleep was that I would at least get to see her one more time.

I really hope things work out okay...