Cheated Hearts

spite

"Who are these people?" Harper murmured.

The party was full of Gene's friends. They all seemed to be in the same odd celebratory mood that my dad was in. They were talking and drinking and I caught a glimpse of the cake, which was in the shape of a busty woman's chest with the words Happy Divorce! written across it in pink icing. I just didn't understand. Harper, however, seemed to be enjoying it, like she had just discovered a new species.

"Oh my gosh. This has got to be the coolest party I've ever been invited to," Harper said.

"Well, technically you invited yourself," I reminded her and she scowled at me.

She went back to carefully glancing around the patio in the evening light and I took this opportunity to stare at her. Her hair was up in a sleek bun and her crème dress hugged her curves in every way that drove me crazy. She found me staring at her hips and she smirked.

"My face is up here, Keatie, darling," she scolded.

"What? You have a face?" I joked and she grinned.

"Shut up," she muttered and suddenly my dad entered the room. He had a leggy brunette with him and I rolled my eyes.

"That man just doesn't learn his lesson," I sighed as I took a swig of my gin and tonic.

"He seems lonely," Harper mused aloud.

"Lonely?" I looked around at the crowded room, "He is not lonely."

"He is! Look at the way he eyes everyone. Like he's scared they'll leave him."

"He usually is the one who leaves," I said, quiet fury underlying my words as I stared at the handsome man joking around with his colleagues.

Harper looked at me, that same blazing look she had when she was thinking of something important.

"You're still mad at him," she concluded.

"I am not mad at him," I protested quietly.

"Yes, yes you are," she whispered.

We glared at each other and then I was distracted by a soft hand patting the back of my head. I turned around and found Avery. She had grown up so much.

"Keaton!" she squeaked and wrapped her arms around me.

I squeezed her and buried my face into her mane of curly brown hair.

"Oh, Keatie! I missed you!" she crooned and I laughed a little.

"I missed you Avery," I said.

So, maybe I haven't really mentioned much about Avery, Dear Reader. She is my little (half) sister. At that time she was thirteen or so and I'd never really seen much of her because she lived with Gene, and I avoided him as much as possible.

Harper smiled a little sheepishly, watching our exchange. Avery caught sight of her and gave me a little coy look.

"Who is this, Keat?" she asked.

"This is Harper. My girlfriend."

Avery smiled.

"How much did my brother pay you, Harper?"

Harper grinned back.

"A lot, let me tell you," Harper replied.

"You two will get along, I see," I said and walked away, not wanting to be a part of another joke. Harper smiled as I went to the bar and asked for another drink. My dad sidled up next to me and ordered a gin and tonic.

"I see you got reacquainted with Avery," he said, not looking at me, but past me.

"Yeah. She's so big now," I said, staring at the teenager who looked so much like my father and I –except her eyes, those belonged to her mother, the fourth wife.

"She misses you," he said and nodded at the bartender who handed him his drink.

"Yeah," I said vaguely.

"How's Chicago going for you?" he asked me.

I nodded, "It's going well. My job is fine and..."

"And you've got a girl." He winked at me.

"Yeah, I've got a –a girl," I said, for some reason stuttering.

We both looked up to where Harper and Avery were giggling at something childishly near the pool.

"It seems you're doing well for yourself," he said and nodded.

The night floated on and soon it was time for me and Harper to get to the airport again. It was dizzying, this trip. Greeting Avery and my dad and then saying goodbye to them after a few short hours made my insides burn and cringe. Even Harper was a little reluctant to say bye to them, especially to Avery.

We got back into the little sedan and raced to LAX in hopes of making it there on time for our flight. I felt the familiar ache of dread build in my stomach when I realized that in a mere few hours, I would have to start my shift at Etson.

Harper sighed in the car and watched the city lights flurry by.

"I like them, Keaton," she muttered.

"You do?" I asked warily, "Even Gene?"

"I think I like him the most," she said.

"That for some reason doesn't comfort me," I muttered.

"Oh, you know what I mean. You guys are so alike. Just the way you say things and act around others."

"I don't really want to talk about him anymore," I said, feeling a little sick to my stomach.

Harper nodded.

______________________________________________________________________________

Etson was frying my brain. The only motivation I had was the fact that Harp was going to come and drop off lunch for me at 12:00. I was having another epic game of Solitaire when I heard a soft melodic voice from the seat in front of my desk.

"Mister Miller? Um, Keaton?"

I looked up to find Chloe Dore. Her tiny body was covered in a huge black sweater and her slender neck was dripping with pearl and gold necklaces. She looked like a child trying to play dress up. Her plump lips were neatly painted red. She looked... pretty.

"Hi, uh, Chloe," I said.

"Hi! You remembered my name," she laughed with a pleasant smile.

"Of course. Can I help you?" I asked.

"Well, I have a deposit to make. And then I wanted to open a new business account," she said. Her voice sounded more sure of herself than the last time I'd dealt with her, like she had grown up a bit. I was a little taken aback.

"Oh, sure," I said quickly, exiting my exciting game of Solitaire. She inconspicuously glanced at my screen and grinned a bit.

"Nice game there, Keaton," she said as she took out her checkbook.

"Thank you," I replied sheepishly.

Her smile made me want to make her laugh again.

______________________________________________________________________________

"So here's the funny part," I murmured, getting to the best part of the joke. Chloe was giggling so hard that she had to clench her stomach.

"Keaton?" We looked up. Chloe Dore was wiping tears of mirth from her eyes. Harper was standing above us, holding a bag of what looked like Thai takeout in her small arms.

"Hey Harper," I greeted her. "Chloe, this is my girlfriend, Harper."

Chloe was smiling still as she said, "Hi, Harper."

"Hi," Harp replied, "I brought you lunch," she said to me.

"Oh, thanks. I'll just be finishing up with Dore," I said, clicking away at my computer on her account.

"Sit down!" Chloe offered the seat next to her to Harper.

Harp smiled brightly and sat down next to her.

"Your boyfriend is a master of Solitaire," Dore complimented Harper who grinned.

"Yes. He would win the gold medal of Solitaire, I'd say."

"Okay, all done," I whispered, closing the window of the Dore account.

"Well," Chloe stood up, "Thank you, Keaton."

"Thank you, Chloe," I said and stood up too to shake her hand.

"I'll see you later. It was great to meet you Harper," Chloe said and walked away, her heels clicking away innocently as she did. I watched as she exited and I felt a smack on the back of my head.

"Hellooo, Keaton! Wait till your girlfriend leaves before you check another girl out!" Harper scolded.

"I wasn't checking her out," I said back.

Harper rolled her eyes.

"Sure," she said sarcastically. "Let's go eat, perv."

I grinned at her and she grinned back... reluctantly.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Irish blood, English heart, this I'm made of. There is no one on earth I'm afraid of."

-Morrissey

F E E D B A C K !