Cheated Hearts

illusions

Chloe Dore's face haunted me. When I was at Etson, I'd be doing nothing, playing Solitaire and waiting for someone to sit at my desk and ask me to check up on their account. Then her face would sprout up and I'd feel the sinking feeling in my chest and I'd have to close my eyes and try to stamp out her tearful voice from my head.

Chloe Dore's face made me hold Harper's hand a little tighter. I'd tell her she was pretty more often. I'd kiss her with gentler hands. I made love to her thinking of only her.

Chloe Dore's face made me want to call my mom and tell her I loved her. Tell her I was sorry for blaming her for Gene. Tell her I was sorry for never being happy with what I had.

She haunted me in the most beautiful way.
______________________________________________________________________________

Harper was attempting to make dinner. Her hair was up in a very messy bun and she wore these heavy framed glasses that made her look like a professor. The pot roast she had in the oven was a little burnt and the mashed potatoes on the stove were too watery to eat. I tried not to laugh as I stood at the doorway of the kitchen.

She looked up at me and groaned. I noticed she had tears in her eyes. "Don't laugh, Keaton! This isn't funny, okay?" she huffed. I stared at her.

"Harp, don't cry," I muttered and buried a hand in her hair.

"I just, you know, really tried and it's all shit," she sniffed.

"It's not all shit," I replied and looked around the kitchen to look for something to make her feel better. I eyed the takeout menus and Harper's gaze followed mine.

"Fine, get Chinese. You have a sucky girlfriend who can't cook for her life," she whispered.

"What is wrong with you?" I laughed, "You just need practice."

Harper shook her head, "I have been practicing! All I can make are cupcakes and brownies! Do you want a cupcake for dinner? Tell me Keaton, do you?!" She practically hollered.

Her brown eyes found mine and she bit her lip. "I lost my job, Keat," she whispered.

My eyes bulged out. "What?" I whispered.

"The LOOK failed. We're in the can," she murmured and wiped her nose with her gray sleeve. Harper's tiny frame seemed even more insignificant as I hugged her. She started crying and I closed my eyes as she got my dress shirt from Etson wet with salt tears.

Harper pulled away and I let her go. She looked around my messy kitchen and stared at her watery mashed potatoes and burst into laughter.

"Call for some motherfucking takeout," she muttered with insincere mirth and walked out to the living room.

I followed her out and sat next to her on the couch. She was wringing her hands nervously.

"Can I ask you a big favor? A really, really big one?" she whispered.

"Sure, Harp, of course."

"Can I move in with you?" she murmured, staring at her tangled hands.

I gawked at her. "Why? What's wrong with Rory and Reagan?" I questioned.

"They've been breathing down my neck for rent," she looked up at me with miserable tearful eyes, "I don't have it. Truth is, Keat... I lost my job over a month ago," she whispered.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, my voice blank.

"I just couldn't tell you okay? I thought I could get things back in order and get a job super quickly, but it didn't work out that way."

"Rory and Reagan can't pay rent by themselves. I heard them talking last night. Reagan was fighting with Rory for me to stay, but Rory just kept saying, 'We can't. We can't.' I'm coming between them and it's awful!"

I looked around my cramped apartment. Harper's things were strewn everywhere along with mine. I could feel her eyes on my face as I thought.

"Of course," I sighed, "Of course you can move in."

Harper threw herself into my lap and buried her face into my neck. "Thank you Keaton. Thank you! I will be helping with rent as soon as I get a job. I promise. Thank you! I lo-"

She stopped and ice settled in my stomach. She was going to say it. She was going to fucking say it.

"I –I," she broke off with a weak voice, "I love you, Keat."

Her brown eyes stared at my blue ones and I knew I had frozen. As we waited there in a deafening silence, her tender expression changed a bit. Her lips tightened and her chin went up a little. She was defiant.

I closed my eyes and took a breath. Chloe Dore. Chloe Dore. She danced behind my lids.

"I love you, too," I muttered and opened my eyes.

Harper breathed, "I was so nervous!"

I laughed as she kissed me and took off my tie. We moved to the bedroom and I knew that I loved her. I kissed her hair and I knew that I loved her. I heard her gasp and I knew that I loved her.

I was in love. Was being the key word here, Dear Reader.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Taking toffee with your Vicodin, something sweet to forget about him. If you go your own way, I can go my own way and we'll never speak of it again."

-The Pains of Being Pure at Heart