Cheated Hearts

comfort

I tapped my pen on my desk and started to wonder. My curiosity got the better of me and I logged into Harper Summers's account. $98.85

Fuck. There was no way she could have paid her rent with that. How had I not noticed this? How had I let Harper fall this low? It had been two weeks since she had moved in, which really meant that she just moved her entire wardrobe down to my room and slept in my bed every night. Rory and Reagan were so grateful that I took her in and immediately found another roommate to take up Harper's rent.

However, it still had been two weeks and Harper hadn't found a job. She would get dressed up every morning in heels and curl her red hair into elegant waves. She would look at herself in the mirror and whisper to herself as she did her makeup, "Today's the day, Harper Summers. Today's the day."

But it would never be the day. She'd return home late into the night and I'd be there, taking off my tie from Etson and looking up at her hopefully, but she'd just turn a humiliating shade of red and shake her head. "They're not hiring," she would whisper.

I felt my heart ache for her. That very morning she hadn't gotten up at all. She merely watched me as I got up at seven and took a shower. She sat up and followed me with her dark eyes as I ironed my pants and tied my tie. There was something in her look that I found unsettling. Envy.

"Don't look so glum," I had told her with a small smile, but she shook her head and then sunk back into bed only to pull the white sheets over her head in defeat.

"My life is a black hole. I am a nobody." Her voice was muffled from the sheets.

"Hey nobody's a nobody."

"Yeah. I'm that nobody."

"Harper... Just take it easy today, okay? You can start the job hunt tomorrow."

"Mm," she grunted and turned on her side, away from me.

I pulled out of my morning flashback and logged off her account to stare at the busy bank. People were milling about the line, making deposits and making small talk. Their lives went on, while I was stuck watching Harper's life on pause.

I smiled, grateful for the distraction, at the person who sat down in front of my desk. It was Chloe. She looked much better than the last time I'd seen her. I had been hurting to talk to her for the longest time and I couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief as she smiled a very, very weak smile in my direction. It had been weeks since I'd seen her.

Her blond hair was down and wavy and her eyes were lined again in the thick black that made her cerulean eyes stand out on her milky white skin. She seemed much too thin though and her black wool sweater hung off her frame in a sickening way.

"How are you?" she muttered.

I chuckled. "Shouldn't I be asking you that question? Because I'm fine," I murmured.

She shook her head vigorously. I wish she hadn't done that; her gaunt frame seemed so breakable. "I'm fine too," she said, her voice colored with a smidge of defiance.

I leaned over my desk and whispered, "Are you sure? You seem... unwell."

"Keaton. I'm fine. I am fine. Stop your worrying alright?" she said in clipped tones, "I had to bury my fiancée last month. Excuse me for not jumping back into the game so quickly."

I stared at her. She was such a nice girl; seeing her actually angry was a little refreshing.

"Okay. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you, Chloe," I murmured.

She sighed. "I'm sorry. I've just been super tired lately and... I'm sorry. I know it's because you're a good guy that you're worried," she muttered.

I laughed, "I am not a good guy. You're the good one here."

"No. I think you are," she whispered back. A little smile was making its way onto her chapped lips.

"Okay. We'll both settle on being good people," I said resolutely.

"Well," Chloe sighed with mock sadness, "I think I'm a little bit nicer than you."

"I can't argue with you there," I said seriously.

She laughed. The sound was soft and sweet. I wanted to hear it again.

"Listen. Do you want to hang out after I get off? Do you have time?" I asked.

She seemed taken aback and then nodded slowly.

"I'd like that," she whispered.

______________________________________________________________________________

Chloe shivered when I walked out of Etson and met her outside the coffee shop across the street. Christmas decorations hung in on the city lamps and people were out buying presents in the department stores. Chloe was silent as we walked down the bustling street, just watching everyone move with a peculiar expression on her face.

"Do you want to go out to dinner?" I asked her. I needed to see her eat.

She seemed a little put off by my suggestion and sighed, "Sure."

We moved farther down the street found a tiny Italian restaurant that didn't have too many people there. Chloe and I were seated in the back of the small restaurant. It was dimly lit with tea lights on the walls and the smell of bread made my stomach rumble. Chloe smiled at me brightly and raised her shoulders in a jerky movement as if to say, "This is nice."

A grin found its way onto my own lips but then I looked down to my coat pocket where my celphone vibrated with a message. "Excuse me," I muttered to Dore. She nodded kindly and I pushed the message open. It was from Harper.

Where are you?

I closed it and chose not to reply; I didn't want to be too rude to Chloe. When I lifted my head back up to the tiny blond in front of me, she gave me another bright smile. I was glad to see it.

The waitress came by and asked us what we wanted to drink. I asked for a coffee while Chloe politely ordered a beer.

"A beer?" I asked her as the waitress walked away.

"Yeah," Chloe said with a little smile, "I haven't had one in a long time."

"In that case..." I called the waitress over and ordered a glass of wine for myself.

______________________________________________________________________________

Chloe ate all of her ravioli, which made me very happy. When we had finished our dinner, we grabbed a taxi and I dropped her off at home.

"Thank you for taking me out tonight, Keaton. You're a very good friend," she murmured and gave me a hug as we parted.

When I returned home, I found Harper sleeping on the couch with an empty medium pizza box on the coffee table. Trying to hold back my laughter, I went over and picked her up to move her to bed. She wrapped her arms around my neck and murmured sleepily, "Where have you been?"

"I went to eat with someone from work," I whispered. Okay, so it wasn't the truth. But it wasn't a lie either.

"Oh. Well. You could have told me that," she yawned and I gently placed her in bed. She immediately fell asleep again.

I watched her as I took off my tie and undressed. Harper let out a small snort while she slept and I laughed.

"I love you," I whispered and kissed her lips before brushing my teeth and diving into bed beside her.
♠ ♠ ♠
"You know that I wouldn't say something I didn't mean. How many times can this be repeated before you believe that I do believe it?"

-We Are Scientists

Two updates in one day?
I'm a boss. Well, today anyway.
Feedback? Yeah?