Status: Writer's Block = Another indefinite hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. I do vow to finish this story one day.

Did We All Fall Down?

Too Good

*Ray's POV*

It felt like cockroaches were crawling in my stomach, forget butterflies. I had just realized something as we recorded "Blood": We would be going on tour again soon. The record was complete and it would soon be time to get back out on the road. Part of me was excited, I loved touring with the guys, but a bigger part was unwilling. And it all came down to one word.

Maria.

*Maria's POV*

I opened the door to see Ray's downcast face. "Geez, who died?" I asked. He laughed and sighed at the same time as he walked inside, into the living room and sat down on the couch.

"We finished recording the album." he said sadly.

"But... isn't that a good thing?" I asked, confused.

"Yes and no. It means we'll be leaving soon. And for the first time in... ever, I don't want to go." I slowly sat down next to him, realization hitting me like a brick upside the head.

"Oh..." was all I could say.

"It'll be out in three to four months and we'll be gone, driving and flying all over the world." Ray murmured.

"Oh..." I said again.

"It's like that's all we have left. Four months. And you can't come -- you have a family and a job. And I can't stay -- I made a commitment a long time ago to this band."

"Well, how long do you tour for?"

"Sometimes up to two years. And this is gonna our biggest record yet...." he trailed away miserably. I bit my lip and nodded.

"So... are - are we breaking up?" I asked, unsure of... everything.

"I don't want to. But I don't know how we can keep the relationship alive when I'm gone." Each word was seeped in misery. I couldn't help myself -- the smallest smile spread across my lips, he cared about me, really, really cared about me. Then the seriousness of the dilemma hit me again.

"I don't want to end it. I don't care what we have to do to stay together." I said firmly (and somewhat unrealistically). I saw his eyes light up at my words. I smiled and kissed him. Our first passionate kiss, up until now it had been little pecks. I wrapped my arms around him and parted my lips a bit, inviting him in. His hands wove their way through my hair as his tongue gently explored every corner of my mouth.

Alejandra's suggestive coughing broke us apart. My eyes widened as I realized she and Victoria had come home to find us glued together. I was mortified, I looked over at Ray and saw that he was too -- I didn't know it was possible to turn that deeply red in the span of five seconds.

Alejandra raised her eyebrows silently. Victoria giggled, she wasn't upset, she was happy. I burst out laughing and grabbed her in a hug. She giggled some more and then hopped into Ray's lap, throwing her tiny arms around his neck. He held her tight to him. Like a father would hold his daughter.

"We'll figure something out." I whispered. Ray nodded, smiling (the color finally beginning to fade from his cheeks).

He's too good to let go of without a fight.... I thought to myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments, people!
And thanks again to adora68, for her musings about the possible difficulties of the Ray/Maria relationship -- it saved me from writer's block.
~aep