Sell Your Soul

So I Thought

Cali looked out the window and sighed. She'd left her car at the apartment, and she needed someone to take her home. Charlie couldn't, obviously, and Matt was nowhere to be found. George came out of the kitchen and saw her.

"Need something, baby girl?" he said.

"Can you drive me home?" Cali asked.

"Home? Hun, this is your home," George replied.

"No, it's not," Cali said. "I need to go somewhere to be alone."

"Oh, well, I suppose I could drive you back to your apartment then."

He took his keys out of his pocket. Cali smiled at him gratefully, and he put an arm around her shoulders. She patted his arm, thankful she could get out of here.

For such a messy person, George kept his car fairly clean. Cali could sit down without any trash getting in the way, and she had no problem getting settled. She avoided saying anything, but she knew George would say something to her. And he did, quite promptly.

"Cali, I don't know how you're taking this," he said. "All I know is that Charlie isn't the same person. He's depressed, and he can't man up to the fact that he lost you."

"I know," Cali mumbled, looking straight ahead as George drove away from the house. It was silent a second before George continued.

"I know he's 100% in love with you because he's never been like this," he said. "With anyone."

Cali closed her eyes, focusing on the motion of the moving car.

"Don't say anything, then, but I know you still love him," George added.

Cali turned to him and said, "What if I do? What then, George? It's too late to change."

George shook his head and said, "It's never too late."

"I can't love someone who does that."

"But you do."

Cali crossed her arms and sunk back in the seat. So what if he was right? That didn't mean things couldn't change.

"Look, I'm sorry," George said. "I don't mean to intrude on your guys' personal lives, but Jordan is my best friend, and you're a great part of our lives. I want everyone to be happy."

Cali nodded, but she said nothing. He didn't either, and the car was silent until they pulled up to the apartments. Cali didn't get out right away.

"George?" she said.

"Yeah?" George replied.

"You'll let me know if anything changes, right?" she asked.

"I will," George confirmed.

"Thanks," Cali said. She opened the car door and stepped out. He waited until she got all the way inside before he drove away.

She flopped down, face first, on the couch. She lay there for awhile before her phone rang. She looked at the caller ID- Charlie.

Cali sighed and closed her eyes, but she opened her phone and said, "Hello?"

"Cali, I- hold on," he said.

There was some ruffling around on the other side, and Cali sat up.

"Okay, um, wanted you t'know that you were right," he mumbled, Cali barely hearing what he said. "I need help. But I also know I'm not gonna be the same."

"Okay-"

"I love you." And then he hung up.

Cali looked at her phone for a second before closing it. That was the shortest phone conversation she'd ever had, but it was also the worst. She shook any existing thoughts from her head, and she buried herself in the blanket on the couch.  
♠ ♠ ♠
This is weird- she still loves him? Whoa...

Comment!