Sell Your Soul

Nothing But A Ghost

Cali was barely out of the shower when there was a knock on the door. She sighed and wrapped the towel around her. Still soaking wet, she opened the door of her apartment. Aron was standing there, his hood drawn up. He turned to her when he heard the door open. He looked her up and down and smiled.

"Sorry, Cal," he said. "I interrupt?"

"Come on, Aron," Cali sighed. She stepped out of the way and let him in. "I'm gonna get dressed. You just make yourself comfy." She was about to leave him there when she added, "But not too comfy. I know how you Undead guys can be."

He smiled again as she left him in the living room. She shut the door to her room and sighed. She wandered to her closet in her bra and underwear, hoping Aron wouldn't be a creeper and walk in.

She pulled a black, long-sleeved OTEP shirt off a hanger and pulled it on over her shrinking body. She'd lost almost seven pounds since she and Charlie broke up, and her drinking didn't help her deteriorating health. She slipped her thumbs through the thumbholes and went back to her bed. She slipped her shorts on, and she left her room.

Aron was flipping through an old magazine when Cali rejoined him. He tossed the magazine on the table and sat back on the couch as Cali sat down across from him.

"So, whatcha here for?" Cali asked.

"I heard about you and Jordan," said Aron.

Cali nodded and mumbled, "Of course you did..."

"I'm sorry, did you not wanna talk about it?" Aron asked.

Cali thought for a moment, and Aron did not interrupt her silence. She opened her mouth, but she closed it.

Finally she said, "Aron, have you ever done something just because you were mad, and when you wanted to change it, you couldn't?"

"I can name a couple of times," Aron confirmed.

"I don't know what to do," Cali said, beginning to cry. "I still love him. I never stopped loving him."

Aron nodded. "I know he never stopped loving you. He called me the other day, drunk as fuck. But I knew he was telling the truth."

Cali drew her knees up to her chest and rested her head on her crossed arms. She felt a couple tears stroll down her cheeks. "I miss him, but I can't face him."

"Why not?"

"I don't know. Maybe it means I'd have to admit I was wrong. I never could do that."

"But, you already did."

Cali looked up at him. "What?"

"You just told me you were wrong. Why can't you tell him?"

Cali scooted closer to him and wrapped her arms around his middle. He rested his hand on her back, and she began to cry even harder.

"I don't know...I-I-I just...I can't look at h-him," she cried. "I did once but- but I don't know..."

"It's okay, I'm sure he's the same way," Aron said.

"Y-you think so?"

"I know so. He told me the only reason he stopped with the pills is because of you."

"M-me?"

"Because you told him to stop. And because he saw he was hurting you by hurting himself."

Cali looked up at him, and he wiped her tears away. He looked at his watch.

"Hey, Cal?" he said. "I promised Dillon I'd meet him for lunch. You wanna come with? Take your mind off things?"

Cali sat up and shook her head. "No, you go on. I have to do some stuff around here."

Aron stood up and so did she. They walked to the door, and Aron turned to look at her. He stood in the open doorway, and he smiled.

"By the way, I brought your sweatshirt from Matt," he said. "It's on the counter in the kitchen. He thought it would cheer you up."

Cali smiled and wiped her tears away. "Thanks."

"Nah, it's Matty you should thank-"

"Not for the sweatshirt."

Aron smiled and hugged her. "I know you'll do the right thing."

She nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw, look at Aron, being the little helper ^_^

Comment! There's not much of this story left, but you can read my other HU story called The Natives.