Status: Running Very Slowly

Testing the Water

Fifteen.

"Yeah, I guess." I spoke into the phone.
"I know something's up...kid..." He paused, "Otherwsie you wouldn't have called me."
"Well Jared, you know how Tyler didn't talk to me much when I was up in Sudbury with you?"
"Yeah..."
“Well guess why.” I heard my voice echo through the phone, and there was no answer, “Lydia.”
Jared’s voice was alert, “What?”
“He was too busy with Lydia…He cheated on me Jared!” The sadness was visable in my voice.
I heard his angry sigh on the other line, “I’m sorry he did that too you Nicki, I’m really sorry.”
I nodded despite the fact he couldn’t see me, “I know, but it just hurts. Luke and now Tyler…”
Jared was quiet, “You’ll find someone –don’t worry. Just because those guys are complete asses, doesn’t mean everyone will be.” He paused, “And sorry to cut this short, but I have to go, I have practice in ten.”
“Okay, thanks Jare,”
“Anytime, call me back later if you still want to talk okay?”
“Alright,” I replied.
We said our goodbyes, and then hung-up the phone.

I sat for several more minutes, just watching the TV halfheartedly. But I was soon pulled out of my aimless moping, by the doorbell. A confused look appeared on my face –no one would be here now, all of the boys have practice, and the girls wouldn’t come over unexpectedly. Nonetheless, I exited the bedroom, dressed in over-sized sweats, and made my way down the stairs. I glanced through the peephole, not really looking, and opened the door. After I did so, I just stood there wordlessly.

Finally, I broke the silence, “Why aren’t you at practice?”
“I had a rough night, and I needed to talk to you. It’ll only take a minute; please Nicki.” Tyler’s eyes pleaded.
“Fine. But only a minute.”

He followed me as I lead him into the living-room. We sat down on the couch.

"Nicki." He paused to take a deep breath. "I know I've been a jerk, okay. I know. But I have not cheated on you. I promise you." Tears welled up in his eyes. I nodded, for him to continue, "I did spend a lot of time with Lydia when you were gone -she had no one else. I still want to be with you, of course, but I want to keep Lydia as a friend. I know you tried to hook us up before, well we happened. And I'll admit, I had butterflies when I met her. But you know what? Those butterflies left quickly. With you, there's something else. It's not just measly little butterflies -there's really something there. I know we haven't dated for long Nicki -but I love you." He grabbed my hand gently. "So you know what? I'll respect whatever you choose; but I just wanted to tell you that." I closed my eyes for a long blink before opening them up, letting the tears spill over the edge. He wiped them away with his thumb on the hand that was still holding mine. His lips pressed to me cheek in a short kiss, before he let go of my hand and got up. He walked out of the room, and then the house.

I stayed where I was not moving –only thinking. What should I do?

*

I sighed sitting down in my regular seat. The guys were playing the Blackhawks tonight. Britt apparently had a relative from Montreal in town today, so she had different seats –leaving me sitting here alone. But soon enough, someone else came to occupy the seat.

“Hey Brooks.” I gave him a small smile.
He returned the gesture, “Hey.”
“Not back in the lineup yet?” I asked, and he shook his head.
“Soon.” Brooks nodded. “So do you know what’s up with Tyler?” He asked a few moments later.
“Yes –stuff happened between us. That’s all I’m going to really put out there.” He nodded telling me that was alright by him, “Why?”
“Since he wasn’t at practice the other day coach benched him.” My eyes widened, “Yeah, and he hasn’t been himself. But that explains it.”

Brooks sat beside me for the rest of the game. We shared a bit of light conversation, but nothing much.

The Penguins ended up winning 5-4.

After the boys were ready, we all headed over to our normal club.

Everyone was doing the regular; dancing, drinking, talking…

I was talking to Sidney over in a booth.
“So yeah. It wasn’t too long after I woke up and you left that he came.” This was my first chance to tell Sid about what happened that day he was at practice.
“What did he do? I could go and beat him up right now if you want me to, I don’t care if he’s on the team…” Sidney’s voice was rushed and completely serious.
“Sidney, calm down.” I replied, “He just talked to me –for a minute.” My voice sped up at this point, “He told me about Lydia, how he knows he was an asshole, that he loved me, and he’ll respect whatever I choose.”
“Wait, back up there. Did you say, he told you he loved you?!” I nodded. Sidney brought his hands up to his hair, running them through it. “Oh God. So what are you going to do?”
“Honestly, I have no idea…”

Our conversation was cut short when I saw Max wave us over. I raised my eyebrows but went over anyways, with Sidney right behind me. Max gave me a smile before motioning over to the bar.

I gave him a confused face, and then looked over. When I saw what was about to happen, my jaw dropped.

Kris fidgeted in his pocket before pulling a small box out. I looked beside me at Sidney, who’s face still appeared confused. Finally, when Kris got down on one knee, it clicked for Sid, and his jaw dropped as well. The club suddenly seemed quiet, and then Kris spoke.
“Brittany Talbot,” He paused, “I love you so much, and I want to be with you forever. Will you marry me?”
"Yes," She managed to say.
The box was opened, putting the silver band on her ring finger.

After a few cheers, and moments later, I made my way over to the newly engaged couple. All of my problems had left my mind, “Holy fuck.” I said simply. The both laughed. “Kris!” I gave him a tight hug, “Gratz. Oh, and just because you’re engaged now, that doesn’t make it okay to hurt her now –just reminding you.”
“Wouldn’t dream of it.” He replied smiling.
“Good,” I then turned my beaming face to Britt. “Britt!” I wrapped my arms around her in a bone-crushing hug, “Congrats! Now let me see the ring.”
She returned my smile, and when we broke away from the hug, she took the ring off of her finger slowly, so I could see it better.

The ring was a simple silver band with a large ruby in the center of it. I looked on the inside of it to see a simple quote engraved, ‘I won’t leave your side.

I let out a little squeal, before sharing a few more words with the two of them.

After that, I left them alone, and walked back over to the booth where Sidney was sitting, talking with Marc-Andre. Marc gave me a gentle smile, and I sat beside him, across from Sid. And the recent events were fresh in my mind once again.
♠ ♠ ♠
First off; I'm sorry it's taken so long for an update. I don't think it's very good -so sorry again.
Oh, and this chapter is for Britty713, :)

And, if you guys could please check out my contest entry and tell me what you think: Click Here
Thanks :)

I think that's all.
Comment please, and thanks (: