Status: Running Very Slowly

Testing the Water

Sixteen.

And soon, the days turned into weeks. Britt and Kris had been engaged for about two months now, and it was time for their party;;

“Sidney,” I spoke. “How’s this look?” I stood in front of him, with my hand on my hip. He took a quick up and down of my appearance –a short silver dress with matching shoes.
“You look gorgeous Nicki.” He smiled and pulled me in for a hug.

A few minutes later, the two of us were ready. We headed out to the car and drove towards our destination.

The party was going to be held at a local restaurant; it was a nice, semi-formal Italian place.

We entered the old-styled building.

“Under Letang.” Sidney spoke to the person at the door.
“Right this way please.” The two of us nodded and followed the man up to a separate –and quite large- part of the restaurant.

Sidney walked over to Geno and Flower, as I walked towards a large table.

“Taaaaalbot.” I yelled playfully. “Well or Letang, which do you prefer?” I asked as I saw Brittany.
She let out a small laugh, “Either’s fine,” Then she winked, “I think Letang sounds better, don’t you.” I laughed along with her. “Nice dress.” She added.
“Thanks,” I looked at hers, a bright red dress with black lace over the bottom half. “I have to say, yours is pretty gorgeous.” She smiled.

I sat down at the table, with Brittany, Kris, Max, Brooks, and Tyler.

Ah, back to Tyler. The past few months have been tense to say the least. The boys haven’t been playing as well as they should have been –and I blame myself for that, easily. Most of the guys are pretty pissed off at Tyler; the whole team thinks they know what went down. But honestly? I don’t think they do. I’m not even sure what I believe. It sure seemed like the obvious –he cheated, but I know he wouldn’t lie like that to me. I can’t say I’ve really talked much to him at all. I’ve been taking my time with things

Tyler shot me a nervous smile from across the table, which I then returned.

I tuned into the conversation around me, and spoke when I needed to. After most of us had ordered though, someone headed towards our section of the restaurant. Due to the lighting, it was hard to tell who was approaching. I looked over at Britt with a questioning look on my face; she just gave me a smile. I kept glancing at the person until it was clear to who they were. My face lit up, and I shot them a kind smile.

“Hey,” I said as he walked up to me.
“Hey,” He replied, “How’ve you been keeping?”
I nodded, “Alright. How about you?”
Before he got to reply, Britt rushed over to him and wrapped him in a hug, “Brayden!” She smiled. “Glad you could make it.”
He smiled back and shrugged, “I was around here anyways, so it worked out. Congratz by the way.”
“Thanks.” Britt answered.

The dinner went well. I shared some scattered chatter throughout the night.

Eventually though, the night was winding down. Just before people were going to leave though, I got a text,

Meet me outside?

I looked up, locked eyes and nodded. Moments later, I received another text;

You leave, then I’ll leave a minute later? Cuz you know how everyone is.”

Nodding again, I looked over at Britt. “Hey, I’m just gunna go outside for some fresh air –it’s getting a bit stuffy up here.”

She gave me a small smile, “Alright.”

I got up from the crowded area and walked towards the door of the restaurant. I opted to sitting down on the curb to wait. When I heard the door open beside me though, I looked up.

“Hey,” He spoke sitting beside me.
“Hey.” My voice was simple.

The wind swept over the silence.

“You know don’t you?” His voice whispered.
“Know what?” I questioned, though I already knew the answer.
“That I didn’t do that.” I nodded. “Then why are we like this?” He gestured his hands in a motion of explanation.

We both took to our feet.

“Tyler,” I heard myself whisper through the wind chilled night. He looked at me waiting, “I can’t say I have feelings for you anymore.” A few stray tears slid down my cheeks, and he wrapped me into a hug, “I’m sorry. I’m so so sorry. I love you, but as a best friend –can we go back to being that? To being best friends?” My voice grew weaker as I spoke.

I looked up from his chest and he gave me a small nod. “I’ll always be your best friend Nicki, always.” He pulled me into a tighter hug and my arms tightened around him as well. As we pulled apart he looked at me; right in the eyes. “One last time?” I nodded slowly.

He pushed the stay hair out of my face and leaned in. Moments later, I closed the gap. Our lips moved together in sync, with a passion. It was out of miss of each other; even if this was the last time this would be happening.

Once we separated he looked at me again. “You coming inside?”
“No,” I shook my head, “I wanna stay outside for a few more minutes.”
“Alright.” Tyler sent me a kind smile which I returned, and he reentered the building.

I stayed outside, and chose to sit back down on the curb. I put my head in my hands and let out a sigh.

I did the right thing, right?
I know I didn’t feel that way towards him, but it hurt. It hurt for me to hurt him. I’m glad we could go back to being best friends again though.

I was broken out of my thoughts by a voice, “Hey, are you alright?”
I looked up at Brayden, through blurry eyes; I must have been crying without realizing it. “Yeah. I’m fine.” I didn’t lie –I was fine, just a little overwhelmed.
“Okay if you say so.” But nonetheless, he sat down beside me.
“So...” I sighed, “Long time no speak, eh?”
He nodded, “Yeah it has been a while. So how’ve you been keeping up?”
“Not bad I guess. How about you?”
“Same here; not too bad.” He shrugged, “The team’s been doing good, so I’ve been doing good.”
“And your brother?” This was the first time I’ve asked about Luke.
“He’s been okay. But I’m going to be blunt here, he feels really bad about what he did to you, and I think you should talk to him Nicole.”
“Brayden, I really don’t know...” My voice trailed off.
“Trust me,” He spoke reassuringly, “I know he was an asshole, and know I know he’s truly sorry. By no means am I telling you to go out with him again, Hell I think he even has a girlfriend –I’m just telling you to let him explain himself. Sound good?”
I nodded, “I’ll think about it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry -updates have been slow, and not good at all.

Tell me what you think though? I haven't been getting nearly any feedback.

Lastly, can you check this out? It's my summer series, and I'm really liking it.

Kay, I think that's all :)