Status: Running Very Slowly

Testing the Water

Eighteen.

I slowly drifted into consciousness. Me, not being a morning person, kept my eyes tightly glued together. I reached towards my nose as I realized it was a bit itchy. When my hand flew towards my nose though...

Splat.

My face was covered in shaving cream.

Hell, I don’t care if I’m not a morning person. Those guys were going to get it.

I jumped out of bed, and ran out of my bedroom; following the sounds of feet running. I bolted down the hallway and into Marc’s room.

“Marc Staal!” I screamed, standing at the feet of the bed, which I presume the guilty were under.
“Huh?” A muffled voice spoke from under the covers.

I noticed that Marc was not the one who had pulled the prank, he’d been set up by...

“Jordan, get your ass outta my face.” A whisper sounded.
“Jared! Jordan!” Cue the yelling, “You idiots!”

The two laughed and crawled out from under the bed. Giving me a small wave before booking it out the door.

“You guys!” I chased them down the stairs.

Just as I reached the main floor, our front door flew open.

“Good morning!” Tayna’s voice rang through our house.
“Tayna!” I was temporarily distracted from the shaving cream on my face, and my brothers running around my house.
She let out a small laugh when she saw my face covered in shaving cream. “Crazy morning already?”
I nodded.

Tayna and I decided today was a good day as any for our, said, girl time. She was all ready, so I got myself ready, and I came down the stairs once again; looking more reasonable this time than last.

We made our way into her car. And she drove us to this small country diner.

Then again, we were in Thunder Bay, so small and country were commonly heard words.

The two of us sat down in a side booth and picked up our menus, scanning through them.

“So, what’s up with this love life I’ve heard about?” Tayna bluntly stated, her eyes not scaning the menu anymore.
I laughed, “Nothing right now. I imagine you know all the stuff about Luke Schenn?” She nodded, “And since then, I dated Tyler...” My voice faded.
“Kennedy?!” Tayna’s mouth made a complete “O” shape.
A small chuckled escaped my lips, “Yes Kennedy. Well there was a misunderstanding, which helped me to realize we’re better off as friends.”
She nodded, “Left him heartbroken?”
There was a pause before a small pout appeared on my lips, “I was really hoping to avoid that. He’s one of my best friends, I don’t want to lose him.” I decided a change of subject was best, “So, you and my brother...” I cringed, “I still don’t get what you see in him...he’s a jerk, utterly dumb at points, annoying.”
My listing continued for a few more moments before Tayna cut in, “I get it, I get it Nicole.” I laughed. “Things are going good.” She smiled.
I nodded, “Well that’s good. At least it makes you practically my sister. And then when you guys get married well be in-laws!”
“Nicki,” She shook her head smiling, “Don’t get ahead of yourself.”

The waitress attended our table so we ordered, temporarily pausing our conversation.

“We’ve only been dating for...” Tayna paused, counting on her fingers, “Seven and a half months, give or take.”
“Psssh.” My voice replied. “You’ve been and are around our place more than anywhere else. Might as well send you off to get married right now.”
He let out a laugh and shook her head.

Our conversation continued for a few more minutes before our food arrived.

Talking was put aside as we shoved food into our mouths.

“This is so,” I took another bite, “good.”
Tayna laughed and nodded along.

Quickly, as expected, we finished our food. We spilt the bill and made our way out of the diner.

From there we got back into Tayna’s car. She slipped into the driver’s side, and I went shotgun.

“So where to?” I asked.
“Hmmm.” Her finger was placed on her chin in a typical thinking notion. “How about shopping?”
I laughed at her shrill voice and nodded. “Sounds good!” I really was in need for a day like this. “And then we could go for ice cream!”
She nodded eagerly as she turned out of the parking spot and we left the small lot.

I hung my arm out the window and took a breath of the smooth country air. Tayna looked over and smiled. She took one hand off the steering wheel and spun the radio dial, changing the station from classical music to an old rock station and then to some country tunes.

I hummed along to one as she continued to drive for a few more minutes. Soon though, we reached our destination.

I jumped out of the car and followed Tayna into the tiny mall. Sure, it may not be the Eaton Center but for around here? It was rad.

We walked slowly through the halls of the mall, window shopping. Eventually though, we found a store we liked.

“Tayna stop walking. Bikini Village. We’re going in.” I spoke.
She stopped walking and glanced in. “I second that.”

We linked arms and skipped in.

I turned in all directions, taking in the colours and styles. I brushed against a zebra print one, picked it up and a raised my eyebrows. I contemplated it before setting it back.

In a few minutes though, Tayna and I both had our hands full with possible purchases. We made our way to the change rooms in the back of the store and tried on each of them in turn.

I decided on a bright yellow bikini with darker yellow polka dots on it, while Tayna picked a black one.

We walked up to the cashier and both pulled out our credit cards.

Well, it didn’t take us too long to spend a nice bit of cash.

On our way back into town, we stopped at an ice cream parlour, as it was mid-afternoon. We licked at our cones as we jokes and made our way back to the Staal household.

“We’re hooome!” My voice sung as we walked into the doorway.

I heard a chorus of, “Hi honey” –courtesy of my mother,- “Oh great,” –Marc,- “Aw man,” –Jordan,- and a few other mumbled replies.

“Hi mom! And shut up you jerks.” I smiled.

A tiny sounding of footsteps made it’s way towards us. “Is Tayna he-” Eric stopped speaking as he saw her standing beside me in the doorway. “Hey babe.” He pressed his lips gently to hers.

“Wanna see what I got?!” She spoke excitedly as they broke apart.

Tayna reached into her bag and pulled out the bikini. “Damn.” Eric spoke.
“Ahem,” I cut in, “I got something too.” I repeated Tayna’s actions.

Eric cringed, “Don’t wear it.” He replied, “You’re not wearing that. You can wear like a turtleneck and jeans to the beach, I don’t want any creeps hitting on my little sister.” He beamed me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders and Tayna’s in turn.

How I'd miss this.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this is very long overdue. I'm sorry, I've been busy and had a case of writer's block.

Thanks times a hundred to Britty713 for the help with this and the constant support.

Also, check this out. It's a new story and I'm really liking it so far.

Lastly, can anyone who's reading this, please comment. I've been getting next to know comments and I really don't think anyone's reading anymore. So even if you leave me a simple, "I've been reading this" or something to that extent. It would mean a lot.

Thanks again everyone.

PS. Some big stuff should be happening pretty soon with this story.