Status: Running Very Slowly

Testing the Water

Twenty.

As I woke up, I rubbed at my eyes. I glanced over to my nightstand and picked up my phone; the clock on it informed me that it was 10:30 already.

The Staal household held a party last night. It was a typical house party; music, dancing, drinking, the norm, but man, was I tired this morning.

Shrugging off the fact, I got out of bed and walked out of my room. As I walked down the hall I checked to see if anyone else was still up here. It seemed that everyone had gone downstairs aside from me and Jared. He was sitting on his bed flipping through TV channels.

“Hey,” I smiled, standing in the doorway.
“Hey Nicki.” Jared returned my smile and patted the empty spot next to him on the bed.

I walked over and plopped down beside him.

There was a small peaceful silence before I spoke, “I don’t wanna go back to Pittsburgh.”
A small sign escaped his lips as he turned his attention away from the TV and looked at me. “Don’t say that, Nicole. I know you love Pittsburgh. Sure, right now you might say that since everyone’s finally all together again up here, but you love the Burgh. You won’t even miss us when you go back.” He sent me a sad smile, “Plus, you know all of us are coming down to visit in a few weeks for your friend’s wedding.”
I looked down and crossed my arms over my chest, “I still don’t want to leave Thunder Bay.”
“You’ll be back soon though.” Jared spoke, “And who’ll help your friend find a wedding dress unless you go down?”
“Veronique can help her.” I said; stubbornness clear in my voice.
“Come on Nicki,” Jared pulled me into a hug. “We’re all coming to visit soon and then everyone’s coming back up here before pre-season.”

I returned Jared’s actions and gave him a tight hug before nodding my head.

After a moment we pulled apart.

“Now let’s go downstairs for some breakfast. You have to leave in a couple hours.” He spoke.

I just nodded in response.

I was heading back to Pittsburgh today to help Brittany find a wedding dress. Her wedding was drawing closer and closer yet she still hasn’t found the perfect dress. So I was going to the Burgh until after the wedding to help her out with her dress and wedding in general. The rest of my family was heading down a couple days before the wedding. Don’t ask me why Britt invited my whole dysfunctional family.

Jared turned off the TV and we made our way downstairs. Our mom was putting together breakfast in the kitchen, while dad was likely in the barn working. Jordan, Marc and Eric were in the living room tuning into some episode of “Off the Record.” I sat down in a chair while Jared went over to an empty spot on the couch. We continued to watch the show until mom let us know that breakfast was ready. As soon as she said that we all ran over to the table trying to get some food before the others ate it all.

As expected, we all finished our meal quickly. I headed up to my room to do some packing as the others continued watching TSN downstairs.

I was upstairs for about twenty minutes before I was getting close to being finished. I was sitting on the floor, folding my favourite pair of jeans to pack, when I heard a set of footsteps. I spun around, jeans in hand, to see Jordan standing in my doorway.

“Come in,” I said.

He walked over and sat on my bed, “You excited to go back to Pittsburgh?”
I looked up at him with a blank expression, “What do you think?”
“Come on! Why not? You love Pittsburgh! And you get to see Britt again, along with a few of the guys that are around.”
“I don’t want to leave Thunder Bay.”
Jordan let out a sigh, just as Jared had done earlier. “We’ll be down in a few weeks and then we’re all coming up here again. You’ll have lots of fun in Pittsburgh, Nicki.”
“I hope so.” I sighed as I packed my final item into my suitcase.

Not too long later I was standing by the doorway of our home; carry-on over my shoulder and all. I went around and gave each person in my family as well as Tayna and Anna –who had came over- hugs.

“Bye guys,” I gave them a sad smile, “I’ll see you all in a few weeks.”

I went to pick up my suitcase when Jared snatched it up. “I’ve got it.” He said.

Jared was the one driving me to the local airport. No way was I driving all the way back to Pittsburgh.

I gave everyone a wave as Jared and I left the house.

We walked over to the car and Jared threw my suitcase into the backseat before he got in the driver’s seat. I went shotgun.

The drive to the airport was short, maybe only fifteen minutes.

Jared parked the car in an open parking spot and hoped out along with me. He got my suitcase and handed it to me as we walked up to the airport doors. We stopped walking once we got there and I let go of my suitcase.

“I’m going to miss you Jared.” I said, hugging him.
He hugged me as well, “I’m going to miss you too Nicki.” We pulled apart, “Call me once you get to Pittsburgh, okay?”
“Will do!” I gave him a sad smile as I turned and picked up my suitcase, “Bye Jared!”
“Bye!” Jared shouted as I walked into the airport.

I pulled my luggage along as I went to the front desk at the airport. I gave them my suitcase and then headed over to get checked by security. Once I was cleared, I headed into the “actual” airport, per say.

The first thing I did was head over to the small cafeteria and grab a coffee. I had about a half an hour yet to wait so I went and sat down. I pulled out a book from my carry-on and read through a few pages, before deciding to text instead.

I sent a quick text to Britt reminding her to pick me up once I got into Pittsburgh. I then sent a text to a couple of the guys on the team asking how their summers’ have gone so far. My text conversations continued for a few more minutes before my flight was called.

I headed over to the desk and handed them my ticket before making my way down the tunnel to the plane. Once I was on it, I sided to take a window seat about halfway up the aisle.

The trip to Pittsburgh was pretty uneventful. I had to switch planes in Toronto, but that wasn’t too much of a hassle.

By the time I got to Pittsburgh it was about 9:30pm. As I got my luggage, I gave Jared a quick call to let him know I was safe and sound in the Burgh. I then headed outside of the airport.

Thankfully Brittany was already there.

I smiled as I walked over to her car. I put my suitcase in her backseat and I jumped into the passenger seat.

“Britt!” I screamed, “I haven’t seen you in forever!”
She laughed a she pulled away from the ‘pickup zone.’ “I know! I’ve missed you too!” Brittany glanced away from the road and beamed over at me.
“So I need all the gossip on everything that’s happened since I’ve been gone,” I said of my three month absence from Pittsburgh. “Who’s even around?”
“Don’t worry! I’ll fill you in on all the gossip,” She laughed. “And not many people are around; Brooks, and Kris are really the only ones around right now. A few of the other guys like Cooke and Max have popped by from time to time though.”

I nodded. It was sad that barely anyone was around, but I expected it.

“So anyways,” Britt continued, “Where are you headed tonight?”

Heck, I never thought about that. Jordan was fine with me staying in his –our, old- apartment, while I had the choice of staying in mine and Sid’s place. Britt even said I could stay with her if I wanted.

I thought for a moment before replying, “Sid’s place please.” No matter how long I’ve lived there, it would always be ‘Sid’s’ place to me.

“Alright, sounds good.” She nodded, “Want to meet up tomorrow morning then? We can go out for some breakfast before dress shopping? And of course we’ll have some much needed girl and gossip time in there.”
“Sounds perfect!” I grinned.

Brittany turned up the radio and we sung along to some of our favourite tunes until we got to Sidney’s house.

“Thanks for the drive Britt!” I smiled as I jumped out of the car and got my suitcase out as well. “I’ll meet you at that diner downtown at 10:30 tomorrow morning.”
“No problem! And yeah, see you then!”

We exchanged goodbyes before I made my way up to the front door of the house. It took me an extra minute to find the house key as it’s been merely a decoration on my keychain over the past few months. Finally, I found it.

I slipped the key into the door and opened it up.

The house was cool for it being mid-June, and as expected it was almost completely dark.

I let out a sigh as I walked into the house and turned on the occasional light. I dragged my suitcase up to my room and threw it onto the floor. I pulled out a pair of pyjamas and quickly got changed. I was overly tired so I decided to just head to bed.

I slipped under the covers of my bed and squeezed them tight to my body. S small sign escaped from my lips.

Who would’ve guessed such a homey place could be so lonely?
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's been a while guys. Again, things have been busy and I've really just not been into writing this story. At least this update is long; so I hope you guys' enjoy that.

Please remember to comment! I love hearing back from my readers.