Status: Active (:

All I Wanted Was You, John O'Callaghan.

Chapter Twelve

“Are you sure you want to go?” Garrett asked me for the billionth time.

I nodded. “I have to, Gare, it’s…” I sneaked a look at John, who was a little ways off, talking to a pretty cashier of the Starbucks they had at the airport in Denver. “Difficult with the current… situation.”

“Don’t leave just because of John.” Pat piped up. “He’s just being an ass. He’ll get over it.”

I shook my head. “I’m sorry guys.” I gave them a sad smile.

“Fine, if you have to go, you have to call everyday!” Kennedy demanded.

“And we want constant updates on how school is going.” Jared added, crossing his arms over his chest.

I nodded. “Will do, boys.” I went one by one to give them a hug. First Jared, then Pat, Garrett—who held on for a long time and kissed me on the cheek—and then finally, Kennedy. I think he was the saddest to see me go, but he sucked it up and hugged me super tight, and then kissed me twice on the cheek.

“Don’t get into any trouble!” Garrett called as I grabbed my backpack and headed to the airport security.

I waved back at them and turned around one last time, just to catch a glimpse of my favorite people in the whole world—people I called my family. All I could see, though, was John leaning in and whispering in the cashier’s ear, making her giggle. It seems like a lifetime ago, I was the one he made giggle.

I never actually thought people changed. To me, people had the power to change, but they never did because of their lack of will power. I thought it was just a myth when people claimed, that after they did something bad, they had ‘changed’ and ‘learned their lesson.’ I guess I finally now believe them.

When I first touched down in Arizona, all I could think was, I wish John was here. He plagued my every thought, my every memory, and everything else. When I looked out the window and saw the city, Tempe, I saw John smiling or laughing or just there, content. It was like watching a flash back from the past.

All the places we hung out, the places where we shared secret kisses, giggled secrets to each other because we only trusted each other. These places were both a happy and painful place to me.

I sighed and focused on the road in front of me, tucking a strand of my dirty blonde hair behind my ear. I focused on the cracked pavement and its’ potholes and uneven lanes. I concentrated on the way the yellow line in between lanes hypnotized you if you stared long enough.

“Jenny?” my friend, Roxanne, asked. “Are you still there?” she joked.

I snapped out of whatever reality I was in and turned to look at her, trying to do my best to smile. “I’m here, I’m here. Are we almost home?”

“I see how it is.” She mocked hurt.

I laughed in earnest now. “It’s nothing personal, babe, it’s just…I need to go home, you know?”

The look on her face softened. “I know, I know. And listen, if you ever need to talk, just tell me, okay? I know that things might not have ended in the best of terms with John but…there’s still hope. “

I bit my tongue to keep from saying what I really wanted to say; there was no hope for John and I. The second I stepped on to that plane and flew here, I made a choice to run away from the mess I made. I didn’t help the situation, but what I did was signing its death.

Roxanne parked the car at my parent’s driveway, turning off the engine and then getting out of the car. I got out as well, heading to the trunk of the car to get my bags. I grabbed them in my hand when Roxanne opened the trunk and then made my way to the front door.

We let ourselves in, walking through the hallway until we reached the living room where my parents were face to face, looking angry.

“Mom? Dad?” I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

They snapped out of whatever they had been in and looked at me. My mother broke into a smile and walked towards me, enveloping me in her arms.

“Oh, sweetheart!” she exclaimed. “I missed you!”

I laughed and hugged her back. “I missed you too, Mom.”

“Nice to see I don’t get a hug.” Roxanne mumbled, sitting down on the couch with a smile on her face.

“Hello Roxii; It’s been such a long time—four days.” Mom said dryly.

Roxii rolled her eyes. “I missed you too, Grace.” She turned toward my Dad, “And you, Mr. Benson.”

“You know you’re always welcome here Roxanne.” My Dad grinned at her then walked over to me, hugging me tightly as well.

“Hey Dad.” I whispered, smiling.

“It’s nice to see you back! We missed you here,” He sat down on the couch across from Roxanne. “How’s good ol’ John doing?”

I stiffened at the sound of his name. What was I supposed to say? John and I broke up because I cheated on him? My parents would be so disappointed.

“He’s…good.” I managed to blurt out.

Dad didn’t notice my pause, just nodded. “That’s great. I always liked that boy; plus, he got my daughter back home to me.”

I faked a smile and walked over to the kitchen, aware that Roxanne was following me. As soon as we were alone and out of my parent’s view, she shot me a look.

I shrugged, biting my lip. For how long could I pretend that everything was alright?
♠ ♠ ♠
I am SO, SO sorry I took so longggg!
I'll post again tomorrow (:
Commentt--Subscribe!
I love you all <333