The Damage You've Inflicted Temporary Wounds

FINAL

Gerard pov

I walked to the cemetery. There were rows and rows of graves, but the one I was looking for was towards the gate. I hadn’t been at the funeral; it would have caused too much emotion. I could see myself there, as they lowered the coffin, I would jump in too, getting buried alive and enjoying it. I hadn’t gone though.

I saw a small headstone almost unnoticeable among the others. I walked over. It was plain in comparison to all, but that in itself made it unique. I was crying; this was really the first time it hit me that she was dead and gone. I cleared off the snow and thrust the ring as deep into the frozen ground as I could, then walked away.

She had my heart forever; I wanted to put those thoughts that felt so empty into something solid. I slipped the other ring around my own finger. My head started exploding in new concepts. I wanted to join her. I wanted to die. In wanting to die, I realized I no longer feared death. Once you want it, you can never go back to before; it felt strange being on the other side. I had crossed some invisible line in my head, the kind that you never know about until it’s too late to turn back.

I reflected on my life so far. It hadn’t been pleasant. I don’t know why, but I would keep on going; I wasn’t ready to surrender. A new thought: Kelly had hurt me. She had broken my heart, but I still loved her, and she still wanted something of me. It had all been an accident; she hadn’t known. I would go to the ends of the universe for her. She had given me a job; I would fulfill it. I would defy Death. I didn’t fear it, so I would fight it. Death wanted me to follow her; she had warned me against doing so. Death had damaged me once, but I could keep on living. I would steal people back from Death, and fulfill the only directive I had left: save lives.
♠ ♠ ♠
I kind of forgot about this story, but it's over now, so I can't complain about not getting any readers on it. For anyone who does happen to read this, I do not consider it to be very good, as it was my first, but I do like the ending. I'm not going to do the alternative ending because no one gives a shit. Oh well.