Our Happiest Christmas

Chapter 1/1

I knocked on the door of my boyfriend’s house. The snow was beginning to fall lightly around me as the air grew colder. I shivered and pulled my coat closer around me. He answered the door with a tired look on his face. His brown hair was disheveled, and his eyes had a sleepy look to them. When he saw me standing there, his chocolate eyes lit up and he smiled, all looks of tiredness leaving his face.

“Patrick! Hey!” he said, grabbing my arm and pulling me into the warmth of his house. He placed a small kiss on my lips as he closed the door behind me. I took off my boots, coat and gloves and handed him a wrapped box.

“Merry Christmas, Jonny,” I said. He smiled as he led me into the living room. There was a fire going in his fireplace, and he was watching the local news channel. “Looks like I got here just in time, huh?” I said, motioning toward the television.

“Yeah, looks like it,” he said. They were telling of a huge storm that was supposed to be hitting soon. “I got you something, too, Patty,” He said, holding out a wrapped box.

“Thanks, Jonny,” I said, kissing his cheek. “Should we open our gifts?” I asked. He nodded, and we sat on the couch. “Oh, Jon, you shouldn’t have!” I exclaimed, pulling out a framed picture of my idol, Dave Andreychuk. Jon smiled at me.

“Well, you know, you said you always liked him growing up so I figured I would…” He cut off after opening his gift. I had gotten him a ring with a band of entwined gold and silver and a sapphire in the center cut in the shape of a heart. He turned it to read the inscription inside. “’Dear Jon, I hope this ring signifies all that you mean to me. Love, Pat’. Patty,” He glanced up at me, “This is too much!” I pulled him into a hug.

“Nothing’s too much for you,” I said, kissing him softly. The wind was beginning to pick up, and the lights flickered.

“I’m going to make us hot chocolate before we lose power,” Jon said, getting up and going to the kitchen. I turned over the picture in my hands to see a note taped to the back. It read:

To: Patrick Kane

Your friend Jon tells me you’re a big fan of mine. It’s good to hear someone say that again. My kids are fans of yours. I want to tell you how much of an honor it is to sign something for one of the NHL’s biggest young stars. Keep up the good playing, and I hope you have an eventful career.

From: Dave Andreychuk


I gaped at the letter. Jon laughed as he walked back into the room, carrying two mugs of hot chocolate.

“I see you found the other part of the gift,” he said, setting the hot chocolate on the table in front of us.

“Jon, this is the best gift you could have given me!” I said, hugging him tightly. He wrapped his arms around me and we lay on the couch. The lights went off suddenly.

“Aw crap. Let me see if I can find some candles,” Jon said. I let him go as he started to stand. He found enough candles to light the living room, and he pulled out a pillow and some extra blankets before putting more logs into the fireplace. We sat back on the couch and drank out hot chocolate.

“So, what do we do now?” I asked. He looked at me for a minute before responding.

“I love how your face glows in this light,” he said softly. I leaned toward him and we kissed softly. We pulled more blankets over us and slowly fell asleep.

---

Jon and I woke up the next morning to glowing embers in the fireplace and a ton of bright lights. We looked at each other and smiled.

“We should clean this place up,” I said. He nodded and we picked up our things and turned some of the lights off. It had stopped snowing, but there was a ton of it on the ground. “Feel like a snowball fight?” I asked. He grinned.

“I though you’d never ask,” he said. We got on our coats, gloves and boots and headed outside. We each made a fort on opposite sides of his backyard and prepared ammo for the war. We spent at least an hour outside yelling random war cries and pelting each other with snowballs. By the time we were done, we were both soaking wet and half frozen from all the snow. We laughed and headed inside to spend our happiest Christmas together.