His Treasure

Meeting Family

As they entered the house a woman came and hugged Cherise. Zacky looked on as Cherise rolled her eyes, hugging the woman.

“You’re back!” she shouted, her face filled with happiness, her eyes, identical to Cherise’s, shining brightly. Her fine blonde hair was cropped short and she wore a light green top and form fitting blue jeans.

“Tabby, you saw me just three hours ago.”

“And what a long three hours it was!” she said dramatically.

Cherise shook her head and turned to Zacky. “Zacky, this is Tabitha, my big sister. Tabby, meet Zacky.”

Tabitha hugged Zacky. “Welcome Zacky! Now let’s go into the living room, everyone else is there.”

Cherise was in the kitchen, overlooking the living room, with her mother, Annette, Tabitha and her sister-in-law, Amanda.

“Girl, quit staring at the man,” Amanda whispered to her.

Cherise blinked. She hadn’t realized she was staring. Shrugging it off, she continued chopping the carrots on the island, in the middle of the kitchen. Suddenly she was sandwiched between Amanda and Tabitha.

“What you think of Cherise’s man?” Tabitha asked softly.

Cherise whacked her with an unsliced carrot. “He is not my man!” she whispered furiously.

“Really? Then why are you blushing?” Amanda asked.

Oh God was she?

“Well he’s definitely keeps to himself,” Tabitha said and walked to the sink.

Keeps to himself? Cherise looked at Zacky. He was sitting on the couch, pretty distant from everyone else. It was weird; she hadn’t realized how quiet he is. Then again, he never acted so anti-social around her.

Zacky sat on the couch, alone. He felt awkward and hated how he’s become. Before he’d never be so…unsocial.

He watched on as he saw Cherise’s niece and three nephews playing. If he remembered correctly, the girl and one of the boys were Tabitha’s and the twin boys were Cherise’s oldest brother. Suddenly, the boys pushed the little girl away from the group and ran away. Zacky watched as she dropped her head, on the verge of tears.

Quickly he walked to where she was and stooped down. “Hello, my name is Zacky,” he said softly. The little girl’s bottom lip quivered and she clutched a dirty white stuffed rabbit.

“I’m Melanie.”

“So Melanie, why are you so sad?”

“Mark, Todd and Nick don’t want to play wif a girl,” she said, tears trailing down her rosy cheeks. Zacky wiped away her tears with his jersey.

“Don’t cry, I’d love to play with you,” he said and watched as the little girl’s eyes lit up.

“You will?” she asked, smiling. Zacky nodded. She stretched her hand, shoving her stuffed animal in his face. “This is Mr. Waffles, he says hi.”

Zacky smiled and looked at the rabbit eyes. It was obvious one of the eyes had fallen off and was replaced by a light pink button. “Hi Mr. Waffles,” he said.

Melanie held Mr. Waffles tightly to her chest and bit her lower lip. “Mr. Waffles and I really like you.”

For some reason when she said that, Zacky felt a tug in his heart. He and Gena could’ve had this if she hadn’t aborted the baby without his permission. He remembered how excited he was to find out she was pregnant and how it pained him when he came home one day and she told him she had an abortion.

Gena really did know just how to break him.