His Treasure

Lucky?

The night’s cool breeze hit Zacky as he came out of Cherise’s car. Hands in his jeans pockets, he waited on the front porch as Cherise followed him. He looked at the sky and back to her.

Hands on her hips, she asked, “Well, you gonna invite me in?”

A flush crept up his neck while he pulled out keys and opened the front door.

“So,” Cherise started as she sat on his couch, “admit it, you love my family.” She smiled mischievously.

Zacky laughed. “Yeah, your brothers are not too bad once they got off the whole ‘I’ll murder you if you piss me off’ vibes.”

Cherise laughed. “Yeah, they tend to do that. I have no reason why though considering Devereaux has got a wife and Nick has been getting laid every night with a different girl. And I see my little niece has taken a liking to you.”

“She’s adorable,” he said, slowly smiling.

“Yeah, but I noticed you were pretty quiet most of the time.”

Zacky swallowed. “I know. Lately, I’ve been pretty depressed.”

“Hence the drinking.”

“Hence the drinking,” he repeated nodding.

Cherise looked at Zacky’s troubled green eyes. “But I don’t understand. Why aren’t you like that with me?”

Zacky’s eyes met hers. “’Cause when I’m with you, I don’t feel like a screw up. I don’t feel depressed and worthless. Somehow, you’ve become my cure.”

She didn’t know how long they were just looking at each other but it was so easy to get lost in his eyes. Quickly, she snapped out of it, feeling wrong for thinking of Zacky like this. He was her friend.

Zacky felt disappointed. She looked so beautiful. Her hair was tied up but still tendrils of her curly, dark hair escaped, framing her flushed face. Her blue eyes had darkened, intensified. It was hard not to kiss her; hard not to touch her.

But it was something he couldn't do.

He couldn't get involved with someone. Especially not with a crazy, people hugging, random dancing, beautiful...perfect person. She didn't deserve a screw up. Hell, even her family didn't deserve to be associated with a scumbag like him.

Clearing his throat, he attempted a smile at Cherise. And failed miserably. "Maybe we should just go to bed," he said.

She took a while to respond but then finally said, "Oh! Alright then, I guess I'll be going."

He stood up and started walking to the front door, Cherise following. Before they could reach the door, Cherise stopped Zacky in front of the stairs.

"Wha--?" he started but Cherise lips cut him off. He pulled away quickly. "You don't want to do this."

Cherise looked at him, her jaw set stubbornly. "You're trying to tell me what I want and don't want to do?"

Zacky couldn't reply for she grabbed the back of his head and pulled his mouth close, kissing him once again. The kiss was hot and passionate. She kissed him with a need, a fire, that seemed to match his owns. He couldn't believe she was doing this. Should he be doing this? Should he stop her once again and tell her to don't waste herself on him? Should--

He couldn't think anymore. His thoughts were in disarray and he didn't make an effort to keep a stable mind. All that was in his head was now. Him. Her. Their kissing.

Cherise stopped kissing abruptly.

Zacky figured she didn’t want to kiss him anymore. He felt hurt. Was it that she wanted him out of her system and figured if she kissed him whatever she felt would gradually fade away?

“What are you doing?” he heard and his head snapped to Cherise’s direction and saw her on the stairs.

“Didn’t—didn’t you stop?” he asked confused. Her laughter filled him and he watched as she removed her top and flung it to the ground. He couldn’t breathe as her nimble fingers went to her back and her bra dropped abruptly to the ground. He could only stare. Holy shit. “Oh.”

“Oh?” she asked amused, her smile lighting all the way to her eyes. She walked down to him. She placed her hands over his larger ones and kissed him slowly. She looked at him and all he saw was blue like the sea. "C'mon Zacky," she said, her voice soft.

She pulled him up the stairs.

He stopped and she turned to face him. "Are you sure?" he asked. He waited for her response but she smiled. She smiled that Cherise smile. The one that made you want to do whatever she asked. The one that made you want to smile too.

"I've never been so sure in my life."