His Treasure

A turn in Life

Zacky shut the phone angrily. His heart pounding against his rib cage, he turned to Cherise, who was sitting on the couch, waiting patiently for the news. She looked so beautiful in his t-shirt with her dark hair mussed and lips swollen from their kissing. He sighed. Why is it that when life turns out pretty damn well for him, something has to happen to fuck it up?

Cherise knew something was wrong. After she told Zacky to call back Gena, she sat and tried to look calm and collected when all she wanted to do was kill that stupid Gena for causing Zacky so much pain and interrupting one of the best days ever.

“You’re quiet,” Cherise said softly. Zacky swallowed and nodded, sitting down next to her. Cherise saw the worry in his eyes and could practically feel the guilt that was gnawing in Zacky. She kissed him softly and felt him relax beside her. She placed her hands on his cheeks. “Now you want to tell me what happened?”

“Cherise, Gena’s back in Huntington and,” he paused. “She’s pregnant,” Zacky said finally.

Cherise felt like someone punched her in the gut.

Pregnant?

She swallowed and looked at Zacky levelly. “Okay.”

“Okay?” he asked incredulously. Cherise shrugged.

“I’m not going to fight with you right now. I—,” have no idea what to do, she thought. She breathed out. “What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know.”

“Is she even pregnant with your baby?”

Silence met her question.

Cherise sighed. “Zacky you need to sort out your life. Not just by running away—.”

“I was not running away.” The look Cherise sent Zacky made him stay quiet.

“You bought a house in a small town no one has ever heard of. You ran away. But you got to go back to Huntington. Settle everything.”

Zacky swallowed and avoided her gaze. Go back to Huntington? That was the last thing he wanted to do. But Cherise was right. And if Gena was pregnant with his child, he had to do the noble thing and marry her.

He looked at Cherise. She’s amazing, too good to be true. But would she understand him marrying Gena? Would she take it well? And what will happen if he does leave to Huntington Beach? Cherise isn’t someone he wants to give up but…

“I have to go back to Huntington Beach,” Zacky said, feeling as if he already lost her. Cherise nodded solemnly.

“I’m coming with you.”

God what was she thinking? I’m coming with you? Cherise scowled. She wanted to be there for Zacky because he will need her. Okay, so she also wanted to be there to see Zacky’s ex. If this Gena could bone both Zacky and Jimmy then she could damn well try and pull a move on Zacky. And what if this whole pregnancy thing is just some ploy?

Cherise sighed and grabbed her suitcase from her bed and smiled as she saw her mom in the kitchen with Tabitha, Satara and Reesa. Her mom was, of course, trying to fatten up Satara and Reesa who never seem to gain weight (damn them). Satara’s hair was streaked with blue and purple and it was clipped up as she slowly ate her sandwich. It was pretty ironic, that the badass twin had perfect manners whereas Reesa, the angelic looking blondie, was scarfing down her food as if she was in a race.

Tabitha was the first one to spot Cherise. With her hands on her hips, Tabby said,
“You sure you know what you’re doing?” Was she? Cherise didn’t even know, but she nodded anyways.

Their mom looked at Tabitha and whacked her with a spoon. “Leave her alone. It’s her decision. And decisions—.”

“Shape the rest of your life,” Satara finished.

“That’s right, thank you Satara.”

“No probs momma,” she said and grinned. Kiss-ass. Annette was the perfect mother figure and the twins regarded her as their second mom, the one who feeds them.

“Since you know all this Sati, you’ll know perfectly well that if anything goes wrong in my house I will beat your ass,” Cherise threatened. Satara smiled innocently.

“What have I ever done wrong?”

“I recall a time when Julian asked you to house sit and you ended up throwing his dog out the window,” Reesa said.

“Yeah but that dog was demonic! I did Julian a favour by removing him the burden of that Chihuahua. Besides, Cherise has no pets.”

“Oh God,” Cherise groaned, “Reesa make sure you watch over my house!”

Cherise heard knocking on her door and looked at everyone worriedly. It had to be Zacky.

“Don’t worry honey, whatever happens, you can handle it. Zacky will make sure nothing happens to you,” Annette said to her last daughter, her baby. Cherise nodded and hugged everyone; anxiety building up despite their words.

She grabbed her suitcase and opened the door. Zacky’s green eyes greeted her.

“You’re ready?”

No. “Yes.”