Status: Complete. Real or not real? Real =)

Another Tribute

Numbers...

"So, here's how it's going to work," Link Magoo says into his microphone, his voice echoing around the stadium. My nervousness and determination subside for a moment as curiousity takes over - what do I have to do to save Eli?

"Two contestants at a time will fight eachother, to the death. Each of you will get a weapon of your choice for each battle. By the end of the day, our victor will be crowned!" he exclaims, getting cheers from the eager Capitol crowd. I hate them so much; for their excitement and their ignorance. But I suppose that's not all their fault.

"How do we decide the match ups? It's all quite simple really. In my hand I hold a glass bowl with small pieces of paper in it, and each one has a number on it. One through five," he explains, looking more and more excited by the second. Clearly he's been anticipating this announcement.

"Each of you will pull a number from this jar, and that will determine the order. The one who picks number one will have to fight number two. Whoever wins that battle will have to fight number three, and so on. The one who picks number five is lucky, because they will only have to fight one other contestant. This challenge shows that no matter what you in the districts do, you have little control over your fate. You must take what the Capitol has been generous enough to give you and fight to keep your life!" Link Magoo yells, but there is only silence after his explanation. And for the first time, I realize something very important. Something that I hadn't thought of before.

I might have to fight Eli.

I'll just have to kill myself, problem solved. But I can't help him against the other contestants. We all are alone in the end, and I guess that's how the Capitol planned it - we enter alone and die alone. I look over to Dianca and dread takes a hold of my heart; what if Eli has to fight her? What if I have to fight her? What if both of us do? All I know is that if she is my opponent at any point, I need to kill her. No fear of her will ever stop me from reaching my goal - ever.

"So, with all that being said, let's begin!" Link Magoo says, walking over to Dianca with the bowl.

"Four...I can work with that," she says, grinning at Link and the crowd. I see a couple of Capitol people look extra excited - the must have some money bet on her. I don't really blame them, she's a formidible opponent. The next one to pick is Dianca's ally. He reaches into the bowl and picks out a three. This leads to little excitement in the crowd, but I begin to worry - what numbers will Eli and I get?

"You pick next, Breanna," Link says, holding the bowl out to the impossible to read district nine girl. She pull out a slip of paper from the bottom of the bowl and holds it up so everyone can see.

"Two," she murmers, her voice steady. She seems like she could care less and nods her head - she's accepted her number. That leaves Eli and I to pick. As Link walks towards Eli instead of straight to me next door, the dread comes back again.

Either Eli will pick a five or a one. And whichever he doesn't pick is left for me. Since I can't see him, I look up to the huge screen on the north side of the arena. He looks pained, eyes closed tightly and he reaches into the unknown. I see his lips moving silently, and I think I make out the word he is saying over and over again - 'one'. His hand grabs a slip of paper, and my heart beats a million times a minute. My heart beats so violently that I fear it will burst right out of my chest. As he pulls out the paper and reads it, his face immediately shows his fear. For a moment, I think that he pulled the slip of paper with a one on it, as he wished. But Link Magoo announces otherwise.

"Five! A lucky man!" Link says as he walks over to me. Speechless, I reach into the bowl and grab the last slip of paper. I feel emotionless as I read the number, and I try to keep the fear at bay in my mind. A one. I will have to fight every last opponent to the death. Including Dianca. And including Eli.

"Auden!" Eli screams out, begging me to listen. It's a good thing I can't see his face, because I might falter. Instead of answering back, I look to the crowd and put on my best look of intimidation. I may not have the odds in my favor, but when I request a sword I know I'll be stronger. I have to be. I need to make it to Eli in the final match. If I don't succeed, he may not succeed. And I need him to win. I need it more than anything. It's my last wish, my final stand in these games. I am not afraid of death anymore, I am only afraid of living without him.

As I am lead out into the stadium, head held high, I feel nothing. Without the emptiness, I will never be able to do what I have to do.

Be a killer.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I know this is a short chapter. I really didn't want to start the battles until I could write a nice, long chapter on it :) Keep reading, a couple more chapters to go!
~Carly