Status: Complete. Real or not real? Real =)

Another Tribute

Stars

That night I can't sleep, so I get up and stroll the corridors.

Will I die tomorrow?

Are my mom and dad ok?

How's Thisbe?

What's going to happen?

These thoughts and more go through my mind as I walk back and forth down the hall. I decide pacing is useless, so I explore around the building. I find out that I've actually been all the places that I have access to. That is, until I see a staircase. I wonder if I should try it, when I realize I've got nothing to lose.

"Can't sleep either?" Eli asks at the top of the steps. I'm suprised to see him.

"Uhm..yeah," I say to him. Eli goes and sits on the edge of the building, and I follow him.

"I wonder what will happen tomorrow?" Eli ponders outloud.

"I was thinking about the same thing," I reply even though I'm not sure if it was a question.

"I know you're going to be mad at me, but I have to say what I'm thinking. I really don't trust Nico," Eli says, looking at me.

"We have to trust him, we agreed upon an alliance."

"Alliances are always broken during the Hunger Games."

"Eli stop being jelous and just deal with it. We're a team, and teams work together," I say angrily. Eli looks taken back. I'm not quite sure about my wording here.

"I just thought I'd be honest..."

"No Eli, you're annoying me. Good night," I say, going back the way I came. Eli doesn't try to follow me, and I'm quite happy about it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I go to bed and get a restless night of sleep. I kind of wish I'd been able to get more sleep, because I have a feeling I'll need it. When I get up, Eli is sitting at the table eating breakfast.

"Let's put last night behind us, we really need to be together out there in the arena," he says, looking glum. I wonder why, but I'm just relieved he thinks that way.

"Ok, that's for the best," I reply. That's about all the talking we do. I don't know why he isn't saying much, but for me I know it's because I'm getting really nervous.

"Eli Leone and Auden Kwell?" a young looking woman asks as she enters the room.

"The only ones I know of," Eli says to her, smirking. I laugh at his goofiness. She looks slightly amused too.

"Time to go."

"Alright then, lead the way," I say to her. She smiles kindly and leads us out onto the roof. Instead of being barren like last night there's a helicopter waiting.

"Wow this is so cool!" Eli says, forgetting that this ride will take us to our deaths. The woman laughs.

"I'm glad you're enjoying it," she says, looking genuinely suprised and happy. We all get in and the pilot begins to have us take off.

"Aww, come on. I'm going to die and I don't even get to enjoy the ride there?" Eli says as the woman ties a blindfold on him. I want to slap him for talking back to her, but she laughs good naturedly.

"Tell you what? I'll let you watch us take off," she says, untieing our blindfolds. I'm amazed.

"Isn't this just the coolest? I've always wanted to ride in a helicopter!" Eli exclaims, looking joyful for a moment. He doesn't even become solemn as the blindfolds go back on.

"Eli Leone, you are the most lovely tribute I've ever had the honor to accompany," she says, sighing. I suddenly wonder if she's tired of bringing the tributes to their doom. Especially young and carefree boys like Eli.

"Isn't he just a charmer?" I tell her, putting my arm around Eli even though I can't see a thing. He tenses up, but then relaxes. He's probably confused about my idea...even I'm confused about it.

"Aw well aren't you two cute."

"Yep, the best of friends. We'll stick together no matter what," Eli says, catching on. He laughs and I follow along. The passenger cabin suddenly gets very silent, and I can tell the woman is upset when I hear a sniffle. I've noticed Capitol people are very sensitive.

"I'd never tell anyone this, but this is truly a terrible job. I hate it," the woman says. Score.

"I don't think I'd like it either," I say, hoping this isn't over the top.

"It's a lot easier when the tributes are all sullen and angry looking, but when they're so hopeful like you guys..."

"Sorry. We're just trying to be optimistic," Eli says to her. I hear her start to cry softly. Wow.

"I know, dears. It's just a little sad that's all. Don't worry though, you two will surely do well with such great attitudes!" she says, trying to make herself feel better more than us.

"I just hope lots of sponsors decide to help us, then maybe we'll stand a chance!" Eli says. This seems really over the top, but the woman doesn't seem to think so.

"Oh, me too. You both are just so cute!" Eli tightens his grip on my shoulders and I know he wants to get information out of her as much as I do. Who knows how helpful it will be? She seems like she might work closely with the Gamemakers if she's here to guard us. I don't know how to really touch this woman though.

"Thanks," I say, almost showing how frustrated I am.

"Oh, we're here," the woman says, taking off our blindfolds. I see the frustration in his eyes that I know I'm mirroring. All that for nothing. Then suddenly, I remember something that's worked in the past for some of the contestants, and I take a chance before it's too late.

I lean in an kiss Eli gently on the lips. Nothing serious, just enough to make the woman upset again. She looks so suprised you would have thought I was a duck kissing a squirrel.

"Let's go, together," I say looking at Eli intently. He looks a little muddled, but manages a nod. The woman starts to get upset again, and Eli suddenly gets it. He grabs my hand for extra measure.

"Together," he says, looking at me in a way that would have convinced any broadway actor. The woman looks close to tears.

"Oh I knew it! Just they way you were! Oh my this is quite tragic," she says. We both nod in agreement about the tragic part.

"Well, thanks for the escort. Come on Auden," Eli says, pulling me to go meet the security guard who came to meet us. Suddenly, the woman reaches out and touches me on the arm. I turn around to she her looking determinedly at the pair of us.

"Don't use the underground passages in the arena unless they're marked with a star," she says in a whisper. Eli and I both nod, excited that our plan worked.

"Thank you," Eli says letting go of my hand to shake hers. She reluctantly accepts it, but looks happier.

"Now go, before the guard suspects anything," she says, shooing us around and putting on her best annoyed face. She's pretty good at that one.

"Score," I say to him. He smiles and grabs my hand again.

"She's still watching us," Eli says to explain the grabbing.

"Oh, right," I say trying to ingore that he's holding my hand with his warm, comforting grasp. With all the information we've gotten, I feel like we might be better off that I first expected as the guard leads us into a building and takes us down in an evevator. Maybe it's not game over yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Check out the characters, I added the inspiration for Auden's interview dress. I think I may have already said this, but just wanted to remind you it's there. Also, thanks for reading! Love all my readers :)
~Carly