Status: Complete. Real or not real? Real =)

Another Tribute

Trust me.

"Wake up!" I hear Eli say as he shakes me awake. How rude. I was just having a wonderful dream about me and Nico...

"Where's the fire Mr. Rudely-Woke-Me-Up?" I ask laughing. He doesn't mirror any of my cheer.

"I just saw the careers walk by. They almost came in here, but then decided to check it on their way back from somewhere. I couldn't hear where, but I don't think we have much time," he says, pulling me up. I stumble after him out of the hole carrying one of the packs. Eli takes the other.

"Hey, wait. Where's Nico?" I ask, smiling at the mention of his name. First crushes are supposed to be like this I think. Or atleast that's what I've heard back home.

"I have no idea, he left early this morning and said he 'Wanted some time to think'. We can't wait for him, we'll find him later," Eli says, rushing into the trees.

"We can't leave without him," I say, planting my feet firmly at the entrance to the underground hideout.

"What are you talking about? He left! We have to go right now," Eli says, trying to pull me away. I stay put.

"I won't leave!" I say quietly, but with determination. Eli looks extremely agitated and confused all at once. He stares at me for a moment, and then realizes what's going on.

"You don't...like Nico do you?"

"Of course I do, he's our ally."

"Not like that. You know, the other way," he says, looking even more agitated.

"Well after we kissed last night..."

"Oh great, you were hooking up last night. Go figure."

"It wasn't like that!" I say in defense. But as I think about this, it sort of could be considered hooking up.

"Look, Nico is a big boy. He can take care of himself."

"We all need to stick together!" I yell at him. He makes a motion for me to be quieter, but he looks more sympathetic.

"Ellie, we will find him. But now we need to focus on staying alive," Eli says, looking me intently. I snap out of my fantasy and realize he's right. This is still a deadly game, despite anything that has happened.

"Right. Sorry. Where are we going?" I ask him. Suddenly, we hear a rustle from not far off. Eli looks panicked.

"Let's go up this tree," he says, climbing up to a low branch. He then takes my hand and helps me climb up too. I'm glad for the help because I'm not too good at climbing quickly. Just as we both get under the cover of leaves, the career group appears. As well as a familiar face...

"Look, we'll get it done Dianca," Nico says to a strong looking girl. She nods.

"We'd better get it done, Nico. If your plan doesn't work, time's up. I'll masacre everyone myself!" she says, leading the rest of the group away. It looks to be a combination of districts one, two, three, and four. However, they only have six people in their group because Nico is our ally and the other tribute from Nico's district was killed.

"Don't worry Dianca. I've got it covered," he says as she and her group walk away. When they're out of sight, Nico looks straight at Eli and me even though I thought we were well hidden. Eli chooses this moment to drop down to the ground and face Nico.

"What was that? Are you working with the career group?" Eli asks him viciously.

"No you moron. They think I'm working for them, but I'm with you guys."

"Didn't sound like it, Nico."

"You dare question my loyalty?"

"It looks like I should!"

"Guys!" I interupt. They both look at me as if they expect my support. I hesitate for a moment, but then I speak up.

"Nico is on our side. He promised," I say, looking at Eli. Eli looks annoyed, but he doesn't comment back.

"See? The girl's got wits," Nico says, draping his arm around my shoulders. I laugh nervously.

"So she wasn't lying. You guys did hook up," Eli says bluntly.

"What can I say? She's just amazing," Nico says, smiling at me. I feel like I might melt from the heat that rises in my cheeks. I know I'm blushing bright red. Eli notices too and glares at me disaprovingly.

"Alright, whatever. So, what's our plan of action?" Eli asks Nico.

"Our plan is to avoid contact and enjoy ourselves. We'll let the career group do all the killing, and then we'll swoop in when they're weak and knock them out," Nico says as if he's already decided that's his plan.

"What kind of idea is that? We need a real plan," Eli argues.

"I actually kind of like Nico's plan," I say, bashfully looking at him. He grins at me and I feel my heart skip a beat. He's just so...handsome.

"Well then, two to one. It's decided, my plan rules!" Nico says, grabbing my hand and pulling me somewhere. I look back at Eli to see a perplexed look cross his face, but I'm too excited to really think about anything.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"So, your friend Thisbe has a bum leg?" Nico asks as I tell him about back home. We're sitting on a flat stone by a babbling brook and the sun is shining brightly on us. I couldn't be more content.

"Yeah. That's why I volunteered for her. I couldn't stand the thought of watching her be defeated because of he disabilaty. Not that she's dumb, because she so smart. It's just that..." I ramble. Nico plants a kiss of my mouth and I immediately stop talking. Stunned for a moment until he moves away.

"Anyways, I'm glad you did," he says, smiling that beautiful smile of his. Everything in the world seems to be just as perfect.

That is until a slender red haired girl jumps on top of me from a branch above.

"Hey!" I manage to mumble from under her. She smiles a devious smile, and I know what she's going for.

"Hey yourself," she says. Nico looks stunned.

"Who are you?" he asks, staying a safe distance away from me. This confuses me. Isn't he in love with me or something?

"Not important. The point is, I'm making my first kill, and I'm doing you a favor, Nico. I heard what the others were saying, and I'd like to lend a hand," she says grinning at him. Nico smirks, but then looks back to me misreably.

"Why don't I remember you?" he asks.

"I tend to blend in. Which happens to work in my favor," she says, pulling a slim sword out of her belt loop. I begin to panick.

"Nico! Help!" I say, unable to push her off of me. She may look weak, but she has suprising strength.

"I..."

"Nico!" I yell, confused by his antics. Why won't he just over take this girl already? The red haired girl continues to grin at Nico as she holds up her sword, ready to strike. Nico reaches into his pocket for his sheathed knife, but as it turns out he doesn't have to use it.

"Need a hand?" Eli says as he pushes through the brush. I realize that I'm free, and that the red haired girl is slumped at my feet.

"Eli...how did you know?" I ask.

"I heard your call for help."

"Oh."

"Eli, that was a good idea. Knock her out while she was distracted! Good job, buddy," Nico says to Eli, refering to how he threw a decent sized rock at the red haired girl's head, which is why she's laying in front me now.

"Humph," is Eli's only response as he glares at Nico.

"Could you stop doing that? I feel like you're trying to kill me with that look," Nico says. Eli shrugs.

"Come on guys, lets leave before the girl wakes up," I say, walking off. Eli follows me, but Nico hesitates.

"Let's kill her now, while we have the chance," Nico says, pulling the sheath off his knife.

"Let's not. She seems to be a strong and intelligent opponent. Worthy of a heroic death. I think that's what she'd want," Eli says. I'm suprised at this, because the Hunger Games are all about being despicable. I can't help but agree with him. Besides, I don't want someone's death on my hands quite yet. Nico looks confused, but he puts away his knife, warily eyeing Eli.

"Well, come on. Let's get out of here!" I say again, walking off. This time both of my allies follow me.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"So, can we please agree now that we need a plan?" Eli asks as we sit around our feeble fire. My stomach growls as I take some dried fruit out of one of our packs.

"We do have a plan, we just got a little nonchalant," Nico replies.

"A little? More like a lot!" Eli argues.

"Guys, we messed up. It won't happen again," I say, trying to smooth things over.

"Fine," Eli mutters.

"Exactly," Nico says cheerily. I get rewarded with another dashing smile.

"So, where will we be sleeping tonight?" I ask. Night has fallen around us, and I begin to worry about our accomodations as owls begin to hoot and who knows what howls in the night.

"We're going to have to return to our hideout. It's all we know," Eli says.

"I think he's right," Nico replies. I'm suprised they both agree, and I can see they don't like it all that much.

"Ok, let's go then," I say, letting the fire grow. Better to lead someone here than to let them explore and find us. Nico, Eli, and I trek back to our hideout, which was suprisingly easy to find. Eli confirms that it's uninhabited, and we all clamor inside.

"Who's taking watch?" Nico asks, yawning.

"I will," I say to them. Nico and Eli both look reluctant, but nod.

"Alrighty the, see ya!" Nico says, sliding into the darkness.

"Night Auden," Eli says to me.

"Goodnight guys," I say as Eli also slips away. This leaves me alone with my thoughts, and all the noises of the night.

Needless to say, the noises of the night do nothing to comfort me, so I build a very small fire. And by small, I mean truly the tiniest fire in creation. It's not really so much for warmth as it is for a feeling of security. There's something about fire that just says warm and content.

"Hey pretty lady," I hear Nico say quietly from behind me. I turn around and probably grin like an idiot.

"Hi Nico."

"Couldn't sleep thinking about you all alone out here," he says, putting his arm around me. I feel myself lean into him. I never thought I'd fall so quickly for someone. But he's just so...adorable.

"Aw...uhm...thanks," I say.

"Sure."

"Nico why didn't you save me today?" I ask him. I'm suprised I even asked this, but it was on my mind.

"What do you mean? I was getting my knife out."

"Well...it kind of seemed like you weren't going to save me," I admit. He looks hurt.

"I was just shocked. Of course I was going to save you. Don't you trust me?" he asks looking at me with that pretty face of his. I realized that I truly did.

"I really do."

"Good," he says, looking very excited about this information.

"Why don't you go get some shut eye, I'll take watch," Nico says. This idea is so tempting that I take it. As I ease my way into the hideout, I notice Eli sleeping. He looks so peaceful, almost angelic. I think I fall asleep easily because of that look. It's weirdly comforting.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, how was that? I'll update soon! Comment!
~Carly