Status: new story. wish me luck. comments? and subscrisptions are always nice :)

I Could be a Good Scene in a Bad Dream

1

The first semester of my second year at University of Alaska Anchorage started September 14th so I flew out September 10th, I didn’t want to go the 11th because of obvious reasons and I didn’t want to wait because I wanted to explore the campus and town before starting classes.
On September 10th, when my plane landed at 11:27 Anchorage time (3:27 Jersey time), I was more than ready to get going. I hadn’t signed up in time for a dorm so I’d be staying in an apartment just down the street from the university. When I got to baggage claim there was a swarm of paparazzi off towards the door and moving rapidly through the airport as the spectacles made their way to the baggage claim as well. I tried to keep my distance but as the celebrity moved towards me so did the cameras and soon they were right next to me and yelling could be heard throughout as people got glimpses of the group. I just rolled my eyes and hitched my laptop case higher up on my arm and turned my phone back on. There were no new messages and no missed calls. I stared at the baggage claim reel in front of me and waited for it to croak to life and start spinning luggage around.
I spotted one of my bags coming towards me and just as I went to reach for it the cameras started popping next to me like crazy. I almost lost my balance and fell on my butt if I hadn’t steadied myself on the metal siding. I reached for the bag, my fingers just barely out of reach and I was going to give up right until someone reached out and grabbed the bag for me and set in next to my feet.
I looked next to me to see a man clad in camouflage like he’d just come from Iraq or something. I smiled and blushed, he didn’t look like he couldn’t be older than his early twenty’s.
“Thank you,” I say and he smiles back at me.
“Just doing my job,” he replies.
“Yeah, I’m sure your job entitles waiting for women in the airport who’s arms are too short and get their bags for them,” I remark sarcastically.
“Exactly,” the guys says.
“I’m Holly,” I say and stretch out my hand.
“Track,” he says and grabs my hand but doesn’t shake like I’d expected but instead kisses it gently.
Shivers shoot up my spine and I blush like a school girl. Butterfly’s swarm in my stomach as he lets go of my hand and winks at me, heading right into the paparazzi. He’s embraced by a woman standing with a baby and than another woman with another baby hugs him, she doesn’t look too much younger than him but they look like bother and sister by the friendly hug and smile and than he lifts the baby right from her arms and over his other shoulder he slings his duffle. I sigh, he is gorgeous. I rolled my bags outside into crisp weather and hail a cab.

****

I unpacked into my new apartment. It wasn’t really an apartment, more like a studio apartment. It was like one big open space but it cozy and warm and home for the next ten months. Once everything was put away I changed out of my sweats and T-shirt and into a dark blue v-neck sweater and skinny jeans. I slipped on the pair of plain black Converses I’d been wearing on the plane and grabbed my keys off the counter. I locked up behind myself and waved at a person going into the apartment next to mine. Since my apartment was right in town I really didn’t need a car -- well until it was really winter. I skipped down the steps and out the door in front of the stairs.
I walked out onto the sidewalk and the chilly air bit at my cheeks and nose but it wasn’t that bad. I wrapped my arms around myself to keep warm and observed my surroundings. Sure, I had went to the same college last year but I mostly hung out in the town over where all the clubs were. It was the conventional small/old town. Signs hung off the buildings that were all rustic, with actual names on them, like, Joe’s Barber Shop, or Lesley’s Salon, or Max’s Coffee Shop. It was so old timey and nice. I saw a store coming up, Norman’s Books, I decided to take a look inside. When I got there and was inside and just starting to warm up I realized they forgot to add the part about it being adult books only. I felt like a perv for even touching the door. I couldn’t get out that door fast enough. I smiled kindly at an elderly couple walking in the opposite direction of me, pretending I hadn’t just weirded myself out.
Another book store came up, Karen’s Selections. I walked slowly past the front window of the store to subtly see if this was an adult book store as well. When I discovered it was, in fact, not a porn shop, I pulled open the door and allowed myself to get comfortable in the warmth. I walked up and down the aisles of books. There weren’t a lot of selections, and most of the college appropriate books I’d already read. Off to the left of the store was a lone table of books and behind the was a large fireplace that was roaring and a black leather coach directly in front of it, a leopard print loveseat to the right of it and to the right was a white chair. The loveseat and chair were filled and people were reading books. I scanned over the books on the table and found on of my old favorites, The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. I was actually quite surprised I even found it. I picked up the book and felt the weight of it in my hands. I looked at the front cover artwork, what first drew me in. It looked like a thriller and the synopsis on the inside flap was actually quite suspenseful. After debating for a good thirty seconds in my head I decided I should at least read the first chapter for old times sake. The only spot left was on the leather couch that upon second glance looked welcoming and worn in. I sat beside a guy who was bald but didn’t look much older than me, if any older at all.
“Do you mind if I sit here?” I asked.
The guy looked up from his book, “What? Oh, no problem.”
I couldn’t shake the feeling that he looked familiar. I had to have seen him somewhere else. I opened to the first page of the first chapter and tried to read the words. I couldn’t concentrate. I sideways glanced at him and tried to place him. I was going crazy. I looked back at my page than back towards him, I caught him looking at me. I blushed and he smiled. That smile!
“Airport?” he asked.
I smiled and nodded. “That would be me.”
“I knew you looked familiar,” he said.
“I know, I was going crazy trying to place you.”
“Shh,” on person on the loveseat shushed curtly.
“Listen, do you want to go someplace for a cup of coffee?” the boy I remembered now as Track asked, now whispering.
“That’d be cool,” I said and smiled.
He stands up and I close my book before following suit. I place the book on the table as we walk towards the front door which is maybe only twenty-five feet.
He holds the door open for me. “Holly, right?”
“Yeah,” I reply. “Track.”
He smiles and nods.
♠ ♠ ♠
first chapter out

the set for Holly's outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/action_is_anecdote/set?id=14568240

does anyone know how to make it go right there without the copy and paste crap?

Love,
Lindsey Rose