Status: working on it

Something Went Wrong

the game

“Where are you going?” Justin asked as he saw Damien rush down from the meeting and running down to his car, throwing the black leather suitcase in and sitting in the car, starting it immediately “It’s Saturday, Aren’t you coming with us now?”

“I have somewhere to go, I’ll be at yours in a while” he said with a reassuring smile that mixed with a grin as he drove away with his Mustang in a rush.

“Do you know what this is about?” Mike asked coming down after them with Tyler following

“Not exactly, but I have a pretty good idea” Justin smiled “I haven’t seen him like this for a while. He’s like this only around us”

“Let me guess. Sam?” Tyler smiled. They looked at each other and got in the black BMW with a smile driving away with a smile.

…… We were already in the third quarter. Our fear became bigger and bigger with the second. The team that we played with last year became a really good one. Not as good as us, but a really good one. I remember last year there was only one player that could play properly, the others barely knew what to do. The girl who knew how to truly play was the team captain, number 8. She was a good player, the only problem was, that she was aggressive. Too aggressive. When she got the ball it was impossible to stop her, and she didn’t play it clear. She punched a few noses with her elbow and tried to make it look like an accident.

The referee blew the whistle as Dawn threw the ball and scored 3 points. We went to gather around coach at a bleacher reaching for the water bottles as he started to instruct us about how we have to straighten our defense when nr 8 attacks. Rock and Roll Queen from The Subways was blasted from the speakers.

“Dawn, when we’re in offence watch out. You have to go round and throw the ball from the left side, or the chances drop. If something happens and you can’t get under the basket, throw the ball to Sam.” He said looking around “We can’t risk to throw it every time from line 3 but we can’t risk to lose the ball either, so if you’re in trouble send it outside the third and try to clear the place so Sam can score” I nodded and took a bottle drinking from it. We were all panting. “Sam you will cover nr 8 from now on” I groaned but nodded. That girl was pain in the butt. She already elbowed me about 6 times, and I wasn’t even in her range. Whenever I got to throw the ball she just came after me like a footballer and just pushed me away making me slide back a couple of steps. Thank god I played football with Jimmy and the others all summer, or else I would have been flying back as Melissa, a girl on our team. “okay girls, drink and then let’s go kick some butt” We got a few bottles drinking after each other. As I took a sip before handing it to Melissa who was sitting on the bleacher next to the others, I glanced trough the crowd when I noticed a very familiar face in the crowd. I just wanted to turn back to take a better look when I heard coach “Okay team come on” He said as the others finished drinking and came around as we put our hands on coach’s and yelled “East high!” I just stepped on the field as I got a better glance.

“What the…” I muttered as I watched Damien near the entrance dressed in his all black suit, shirt and white tie. I didn’t have time to wonder too much though, because the referee blew the whistle again and as the game started I put my head in it.

It seems that nr 8 wasn’t too happy that I was the one that had to block her. I managed to trick her, and get the ball out of her hands and score 3 and pass it 2 times before she pulled up her elbow and punched me in the face. We got a time out as my nose started bleeding. I just held it while I closed my eyes tightly. It hurt like hell. Dawn got me out of the field and set me down on the bleacher. I groaned as I pulled my head back to stop the bleeding. I literally saw the stars in front of my eyes.

“Stay still. Stay still” she said “Coach. We need another player…”

“Oh hell no! I yelled as I felt the bleeding stop. I slowly looked forward and looked at Dawn “Now way you’re making me sit while she hasn’t got what she deserves”

“Sam I won’t let you get a foul because she can’t play in a civilized way” coach said looking sternly. I got up and took a watered napkin wiping the blood from my face “Are you really okay?” he said looking at my determined face.

“Oh yeah” I smirked as I walked to Dawn and Chelsea, putting my arms around their neck and explaining to them about the little trick we could use.

“We won’t even get in trouble like this” Chelsea laughed

“I always knew why not to be enemies with you” Dawn laughed as we went back on the field. We got back in the game and soon I got what I wanted. Nr 8 still didn’t want to lose to me, so he ran after me whenever I got a chance to get a pass, but this earned her a little surprise. As I got to the 3 pint line I winked at Chelsea who held the ball on my left. I rushed in front of nr 8 and as I saw Chelsea move to throw the ball, I didn’t extend my hand to get it, but crouched down and let the ball hit the aggressive little blond straight in the nose. There was loud screaming and crying as she fell down and held her nose and just cried. There was a loud round of cheering trough the crowd. We smiled as we high fived each other on the team. She slowly got up while Glaring at me. I just smirked and waited to continue.

Unfortunately they got the ball and she immediately dashed to score, but I didn’t wait either and managed to get the ball away again, throwing it to Dawn as she ran to the front with it, I dashed after her as nr 8 caught my shirt pulling on it so hart that it tore at the bottom and side.

“What the…” I yelled along with others from the outside. The referee played dirty too, he acted like he didn’t see a thing and continued. I just smiled. This is what I needed. As soon as I passed the middle line I winked at Dawn and she pulled the same trick as Chelsea. The girl got this straight in the face again and poor her. Her nose was bleeding hard and she sobbed like a baby. She looked awful. She must’ve broken it… well whoops, what a pity. We just smiled to ourselves, but as she got up she grabbed my shirt again to pull me back, I turned in her grip in a way that the shirt was dangerously lifted and twisted on me while I twisted her hand back “You got a problem, bitch” I hissed in her ear. She just started to cry and whine again. I got a foul but still got to play. This was only my third so far so it wasn’t that big of a problem

“Interesting way to deal with her” coach said “good job, he whispered, but don’t do it too often” he smiled patting my back. The other team got a backup player while they escorted the girl out to the nurse’s office.

In the end we won the game with 86-57. At the end we our defense got unreachable to them and they couldn’t get through it. It’s a pity that nr 8 didn’t play in a team. Even though she was supposed to, she was a loner, and even though she managed to teach the basics she forgot the important part. To play. I started the volley team like her. I was the only one who knew to really play. I taught the few who wanted to play and we had games every afternoon, but we were playing, and we had fun doing it, even if it was sweat and tears in the start, it was worth it.

As we finished we shook hands with the players and the other coach. We cheered as we used to and we waited to get the little diploma we always get when coach announced the prizes.

“And now the most tactic player title goes to…” he glanced at the little piece of paper in his hand and smiled “Dawn Simmons and Chelsea Monroe” he said handing them the little diploma. “And this game’s 3 point queen is…” the smile went bigger as he read the name and glanced at me “Samantha Rose Hale” he said. I went to take the little diploma and went back down, as I went to the others I saw Dawn smile. Not the usual ‘We won the game’ kind of smile, it was the one where when tears were swimming in her eyes but her smile was from ear to ear.

“What?” I said looking confused and concerned.

“You remember the surprise I was talking about last weekend?” she said looking extremely happy.

“Surprise” I heard a low voice from behind me. I turned around to see the oh so familiar figure standing about 6 feet away with a beautiful crimson rose in his hand and that well known lopsided smile I loved since I was a little kid, but haven’t seen for months. Tears came to my eyes as I watched him then just ran to him jumping in his arms squeezing him, as it was just a dream. Squeezing him as a kid does with it’s favorite teddy bear, not letting go. Holding on as if my life depended on it

“Lucas” I whispered while he just laughed and hugged me back so hard my body hurt….