Status: Hiatus, for a while.

Shining Through the Shadow of a Star

Zacky's POV

Mary was not answering my pleads and I didn’t know what to do. "Mary, baby please answer me." I tried one last time. "I love you.." I could hear the thunder roaring and the rain drops popping but no sign of her angelic voice anymore.

I hung up the phone and slid to the floor, crying. I haven't done that for years; the only girl that I have cried for, besides Mary, is Gena. But now that I think of it, she wasn’t even close to being worth it.

"Come on, Baker. She'll be okay, trust me." Brian stood by me, placing a hand on my shoulder to comfort me.

"Is she?" I snapped. "do you hear what you're saying Brian!? Are you out of your mind?? She's gone!"

"No, no he's not. But you are. You know better than to let people drive in this weather, especially her." Johnny shouted. Him being wise… Now that's a first.

"Shut up, short shit!" I growled. But he was right. She's not allowed to drive for long distance, even if it's not raining.

"You know I'm right." He knew better than to tease me.

I lunged at him but Matt was immediately by my side, holding me back. I could feel the goose bumps forming on my arms and my body shaking slightly. "What can I do?" I asked more to myself than anyone.

It was five in the afternoon now. Gena had long gone as soon as Mary stepped out of the house. I can't believe how dumb I was to have trusted her in. Look what it cost me. Times like this are the ones that make me want to give up everything because I don’t see a use for any of it all. Time has passed very fast and everyone was still seated in the same seat ever since Mary started the car almost six hours ago. I had lost hope, even if it's not my thing. After the last phone call, the reception wasn’t working, making it seem as if the phone was shut. I heard some tune play and looked towards where it had come from; Brian's phone. For a fragment of seconds I thought that she was okay and that she had decided to call Brian because she was mad at me until I heard him say his girlfriend's name. I zoned out again after that, not caring about the drama she's starting now.

Fifty six minutes, counted second by agonizing second, passed. After I had been brought out of my thoughts by his obnoxious ringtone, I couldn’t go back to not thinking of the situation we were in. How people could do that amazed me. For once I wished I had ADHD. "Go to bed Zachary." Matt instructed. "We'll wake you if there are any news."

"Yeah man, you look dead." Johnny added in.

I got up reluctantly, feeling as if my muscles were about to give up on me and my body. I rubbed my runny nose with my right sleeve; the shirt would be washed by the end of the day, won't it? It won't hurt me if I do as they said and sit in my bed. Passing by the mirror, I could see how right they were; my eyeliner smudged all over my red cheeks and nose, my eyes bloodshot and my whole self just looked like a zombie. The minute I reached my nightstand I heard what seemed to be my phone. I had left it downstairs. Energy shot through me and I ran faster than light speed. It was her. "Hello? Mary, baby where are you?" She was so getting a hell of a lesson to never do this again.

"Sir, this isn’t who you are asking for." Some guy's voice came as a respond. "Your number was the last call made from and to this phone. The holder of the phone has been in a severe accident and is now being taken to the town's hospital."

I didn’t know quite what to say so I passed the phone to Matt who immediately knew what had happened. "Alright, we'll be there." He said. He hung up the phone and turned to me. "What hospital is she in?"

"The town's." I sobbed followed by a new set of tears.

We all rushed out of the house and into Brian's Jeep. Soon, we were at the hospital and asking for her. "She's still in the operation room. Are you from her family?"

"I'm her fiancé." I replied. Brian, Johnny and Matt looked at me with their eyes bulging out. She told us what way to go and where to wait even though we knew. Sitting in the waiting room, I decided it'd be better if I call her friend, Claire, not knowing who else to call. I held my phone out and started going through the contacts. The phone clock showed that it was now seven. She must be having dinner now. "Claire…"

"Zack? What's wrong?" She was obviously worried because we hardly ever talk and I never called her before.

"Claire, I'm sorry to bother you at this time but… Mary," I took a breath, holding back the sob. "Claire, she has been in an accident and she's not okay…" I couldn’t take it anymore.

"Zachary, where are you guys? Town's hospital?" I nodded, even though it's really stupid seeing as she can't see me. "I'm coming." I hung up the phone and threw it on the floor.

It took Claire a long time to arrive even though her house is closer to town than ours. When she arrived, she was followed by someone that looked familiar. "I'm sorry I was late, it's just that my car wouldn’t turn on and Jordin had to be at the studio which is in the other direction and couldn’t bring me here. So I went with her there, and Joe here offered to drive me." She said all in one breath. So the guy with her is Joe Jonas; her sister kind of works with them.

"Yeah, I couldn’t bear myself to leave her the way she was especially if someone's hurt." He said with a smile. He already annoyed me. No offence to his fans but I'm not really in a funny situation.

"How did it happen?" Claire asked.

I was about to answer when a doctor came towards us. "Mary Lucian's Family? I'm sorry to tell you this but she is not responding. Any idea how the accident happened? Seeing how the car was, it was as if she lost control on it or she wasn’t seeing in front of her."

"She tends to have this case of blacking out…" I started.

"Something like fainting, except she can always hear and see what's going on around her but she can't do anything about her. The doctors who have seen her before blame it on her clumsiness." Johnny continued saying.

"Well, it's mostly believable because she hadn’t had the accident with another car; it was a tree." The doctor informed.

All of us looked at each other, probably wanting to ask the same question but we were stopped when we heard a beeping sound coming from the room the doctor had just gotten out of…
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait lovelies! :D

I donno if you're confused because i kind of am =p