Hello My Name Is...

Life Evermore

Later that same day at first period...

Everyone was staring at him, he could feel their eyes on him. He knew his already tarnished reputation was going to be even more so after yesterdays events. He was surprised they had let him out of the hospital so soon. He actually wished he could have gotten out of school a little longer, but the doctors insisted that nothing was wrong with him. He got forty-three stitches to his left hand, a blood transfusion, and that was that.

His hand was wrapped in a cumbersome bandage. It drew unwanted attention, and soon the school was buzzing with his 'attempted suicide' in class. If he wanted to kill himself, he'd have gone for the wrist instead.

His friends thought he was hardcore for it, especially Jack. His group of friends kept bugging him and asking him questions. They practically worshiped him.

"I almost died!" he said when they asked him what it was like.

The only responses he got after that were, "Cool!", "Hardcore man!", and "Lucky!".
Davey started to really really hate his 'friends'.
He had walked away from them in disgust and headed to his first class.

Alice was sitting there, looking rather glum. That was an unusual expression and emotion for her kind. He gave her two seconds of his stare, before moving on. Clay was sitting in his usual spot, only now he was casting Davey a deadly stare.

"You better hope I don't get off these crutches early punk!" Clay said angrily.

Davey stopped, tempted to say something to the cripple, but thought better of it, and took his seat. He felt tired and ill, but ignored it as best he could. He happened to look Alice's way, and she happened to look his. She smiled warmly at him, but he didn't return the favor.

Clay saw this and wasn't too happy. He balled up a sheet of paper and chucked it at Davey, laughing when it hit him in the head.

"Leave him alone Clay!" Alice said, casting him an angry eye.

"C'mon Alice! The guys a freak and a loser! He ain't worth your time!" Clay said laughing.

"Well, while one of your jock buddies ran off like a little bitch, Davey was dying!" Alice shot back, getting up from her seat.

"Yeah, and you had to come along and keep him from finishing the job! The best thing that asshole can do for any of us here...is just fucking die!" Clay said, sitting up and staring Alice in the face.

"Hell yeah Clay, that's right, you tell them!" some random prep said, giving Clay a high five.

"Shut up Larry, no one asked for your opinion!" Alice shouted at the student, who looked away in embarrassment.

"What is your problem Alice?! Since when did you stick up for their kind?!" Clay shouted, pounding the desk with his fist.

All eyes on the room kept shooting from Clay, to Alice, to Davey. Davey just sat there, his head in his hands, tired and weak. He knew Alice had 'saved' his life, and it was something he'd never forget. But regardless, little would most likely change from it. After a couple weeks, when it all died down, it would go back to normal. Alice would ignore him all over again, Clay would do what he did best, and Davey would contemplate suicide.

After class, Alice caught up to Davey at his locker. He felt just as awkward, having this girl of a higher caliber and standing, talking to him.

"Look, I know the rumors aren't true, and I know that what happened yesterday must have been really scary for you. It scared me too, and I just wanted-"

David cut her off with a cold stare, "You look, thanks for saving me, but I didn't ask to be saved did I? What do you want, a medal or something?!"

Alice stared at him in disbelief, as if he had just sucker punched her in the gut.

"Well excuse me, but you looked like you needed it! Just like in class-."

He silenced her again with the slamming of his locker door, "I didn't as for it. And I don't need your bleeding heart sympathy or anything got it?!"

She stood there, shocked and on the verge of tears.

He pushed past her and hissed in her ear, "You should have just left me to die.."

He didn't bother to stick around to get a response, he didn't care anymore. He knew he was too much of a pussy to kill himself, but he just wanted to end it all. He didn't know what compelled him, but yesterday could have been the day of days. He wanted to be angry at her, and hate her for fucking it up. But yet, he was grateful for her, and it took every ounce of dignity to not break down and thank the enemy, a 'prep' for saving his life.

He turned back to face her one last time, and saw her making her way to the bathroom, her face in her hands, her shoulders shaking as she cried. He bit his lip, turned and kept walking.

He felt it, the sudden shudder and heavy buildup in his body. He knew what it was, and he hated it, he hated himself for it. With his sleeve, he wiped away a sorrow born tear and said under his breath, "Thank you Alice.."

He kept walking.