Hello My Name Is...

Why Bother With The Chore Called "Life"?

Last period that same day....

"I've been thinking about it...for real this time though."

Davey rolled his eyes and sighed. Ricky was going to ramble about how he was going to kill himself for real this time. Day in and day out, that was all that Ricky seemed to think and talk about. It was getting old fast.

"Dude, this is getting old. You always say you're gonna do it. If you were really going to do it, you'd have been dead Freshman year," Davey said with a yawn.

"This shit is serious man! I got issues that you couldn't even begin to understand!" Ricky replied back, quieting his voice as the teacher began the lesson.

They ignored the teacher as they continued to talk in a hushed tone.

"Oh really? Like what?" Davey asked, casting his friend a bored glance.

"Like how girls don't want to date me, how if I want something, my parents never get it for me! I'm sick of my older and younger sister getting all the attention, my dog died, I'm failing school, the entire school hates me..."

Davey drowned out his pointless whining with the voice of the teacher. At this point, even the teacher had more interesting things to say than this guy.

"Hey, are you even listening man?" Ricky asked, poking Davey in the arm.

"Yeah, sure.." Davey replied with a bored voice.

"Fuck you man, this is serious! I'm going to kill myself if you don't help me!"

That annoyed Davey. Who was he to compare his trivial issues to his? Who was he to try to get sympathy and attention by feigning self destruction?! Hell, Alice had more pertinent issues than Ricky!

"Save it! If you're gonna kill yourself, go and do it! I'm tired of you trying to milk this over and over. I don't care anymore, honestly!" Davey said in a hushed voice.

Ricky turned away, "Fine, I just might do it now, no thanks to you! You've changed man, ever since you fucked up killing yourself the other day..."

"I told you for the thousandth fucking time! It was an accident!" Davey hissed.

"Sure it was, you were just too much of a pussy to go through with it is all.."

Davey grabbed Ricky's shoulder, forcefully turning the boy around to face him, "Pussy?! Pussy?! I might be afraid to kill myself, but at least I'm not afraid to keep living my life!"

"Quiet back there!" the teacher said, staring at the two boys.

"Get your hands off me! Fine, fuck you Davey! Ever since you went and got all fucked up the other day you've been a total asshole. Fuck you!" Ricky said angrily and turned away.

"Fine by me anyway. I could have more meaningful conversations with Alice anyway!" Davey retorted.

"That bitch?! What are you doing talking to her kind?! You sell out!"

Davey pushed Ricky hard, "Don't ever call her that again! You hear me?! You don't know shit about her or what she's been through!"

Ricky shoved Davey back, "Like what? Breaking one of her perfect pretty pink nails?! Oh, tragedy!"

Davey wasn't sure why he did it. He stood up and proceeded to repeatedly punch Ricky in the face. He felt his stitches tearing as his fist made brutal impact with the boys face and jaw. It took two students, jocks, to pull Davey off of his friend, who now lay crumpled on the floor in the fetal position. He was whimpering and covering his cut and bruised face, cowering in fear.

"Get him off me! Get him off me!" Ricky shrieked.

"Fuck you you son of a bitch! If you ever talk to me or her like that again, I'll slit your fucking throat!" Davey screamed as he desperately tried to free himself from the jock's crushing embrace.

"Go to the office, now!" shouted the teacher.

Davey was literally thrown out of the classroom as the teacher paged the office to notify them of his arrival.

"Someone get Ricky to the nurses office now!"

One of the band geeks volunteered, and she helped him down the hall to the waiting nurse.

Davey walked angrily to the office. He smiled to himself though, it seemed the nurse was getting a hell of a lot of visitors lately. He opened the office door and took a seat next to a thug. The thug didn't pay him any mind.

Davey sat there, bored and impatient. The thug looked the same too, he was lounging in his chair looking just as bored.

"Sup?" Davey said sheepishly.

The thug gave him a confused look, as if to question his reasoning to the sudden social statement.

"Sup.." the thug said simply, casting Davey an expressionless glance.

"What are you in for?" Davey said, smiling at the stereotypical 'jail' question.

The thug shrugged, "Beating some muthafucka's ass. You?"

"Beating some motherfuckers ass," Davey answered, trying to keep a straight face.

"Sheeit...alot of that going on around here. What'd that asshole do to piss you off?" the thug asked, looking around the office.

"Called me and a person I know, a pussy."

The thug chuckled, "Musta been some important person for you to hand out an ass beating huh?"

Davey thought about it, just why did he beat one of his friends over her of all people? Alice was nothing to him right? She wasn't a friend, but wasn't really an enemy, the same thoughts and feelings he had felt before.

"How bout you, what's your story?" Davey said, leaning back in his chair.

"Sheeit man, some white mother fucker...no offense, was calling me a 'Nigger' and trying to score some shit in the process. I mean, you gotta be a stupid muthafucka to try to pull dat shit!"

Davey and the thug laughed.

"I'm Davey, the schools punching bag," Davey said, offering a hand.

"Sheeit man, I'm William, your local hustler," the thug said, giving the extended hand daps.

Davey looked at his hand, not quite sure what had just happened. Was that a handshake or something? He shrugged and sighed, still waiting.

"Listen man, I don't mean to sound rude and all...but izzit true you guys all drink blood and worship the devil? Cause I've been hearin dat shit since day one," William said, leaning in close so not to be heard by anyone else.

Davey laughed out loud, causing the receptionist to frown and shake her head at them.

Davey leaned forward to give his hushed response to William, "No man, you're thinking of the goths! But they don't do that either, at least, as far as I'm concerned."

William leaned back in his seat, "Aight, I thought so. One of those stupid ass stereotypes?"

Davey nodded, "Yeah, like how because I'm labeled an 'emo' I'm automatically suicidal and a self loather."

William smiled, "Mmhmm, yeah I've heard dat one! Or how bout us niggas lovin cornbread and collar greens. Man, I fuckin hate cornbread and collar greens!"

Davey and the thug laughed, causing the receptionist to shush them with a finger to her lips.

"Mr. William, step into my office and shut the door behind you!" called the principles voice from within his office.

William rose to his feet, "Aight dawg, it's been real. You be good aight?"

He offered a hand to Davey, who shook it, saying, "Take it easy dude, don't let 'The Man' bring you down!"

It was Williams turn to look quizzically at his hand, having expected to receive daps and not a handshake.

William nodded as he trudged into the principle's office.

"Yo, you miss me already?" William blurted out as he closed the door behind him.

Davey sat back in his chair, he couldn't believe he had jus spoken to a thug...and survived the experience.