Hello My Name Is...

The Angry Red

PRESENT DAY, WILLIAMS FRONT PORCH....

"It ain't yo fault William," Pugs said sadly, "Some muthafuckas out there are sick twisted people is all. Don mean a thing aight?"

William wanted to believe his friend, but he just couldn't. He wasn't able to keep Bobby safe. He knew he wasn't the only one hurting, but pain was pain. He just crawled inside of himself, stopping those thoughts and pains with drugs and booze.

"I know you're hurtin bro, but dis ain't the way to heal it. I'm hurtin too, my lil bro is dead by some gun toting white boy with a chip on his shoulder. Da fuckin cops shoulda killed his ass when they had da chance," Pugs said bitterly, spitting onto the sidewalk.

"Sheeit, better than doing nothing," William said as he took another swig from the bottle.

"You need to put that shit down man, you already got yourself in trouble at school for it." Pugs said, looking down at his hands.

"So? What is the point of school?! All that happens, is I walk down those stained hallways, and I see dem. I see Bobby, I hear the screams of the others, those guns shots. Fuck man..." William said as he angrily tossed the half empty bottle into the street, shattering it.

"You tried to teach Bobby some important shit, about how to be a man. You took care of him when I was out makin bread to feed da family. You were just as much of a brother to him as I was, if not more. You taught him a lot of things, what good was it to try to teach him that if you aren't gonna follow your own advise dawg?! Pugs said, giving William a long hard look.

"Sheeit, it don't matter none now. I just wish Sloop and Dag had gotten it instead of Bobby," William said with a scowl.

"Don say dat shit man, dat ain't right. I know you and dem ain't cool no mo, but no one deserves to be shot down in cold blood. But regardless, you steer clear of them niggas, the only reason they haven't stomped yo ass, is cause of me and Bobby. But once dis shit cools down a lil longer, they'll be around," Pugs warned.

"What are dos muthafuckas gonna do? Beat me down? Pulla drive by on me?!"

Pugs shrugged and shook his head, "I'm jus sayin dawg, be careful out der. Bad blood runs deep in da hood. Sloops cousin has some sick connects aight? You jus stick to school, take care of your grandma, and pay back Mars. Dat nigga been askin around for you."

William nodded, he knew what Pugs was talking about. Mars wanted his money now, no later, but now. If William didn't come forth and pay up, he was in debt with one of the biggest hustlers of their area. William knew he had to pay him back somehow, someway.

"Aight, I'm out dawg. You just remember what I just told you aight?" Pugs said, standing up and giving William daps.

William remained seated. He watched the kids at play outside, the other neighbors outside, talking and arguing. A black car drove by slowly, as if it was checking out the area. William knew what it meant, he immediately got to his feet and went inside. He waited for the hail of bullets, but none came. The car drove off without incident.

William stayed in doors for the rest of the day, occassionally checking up on his grandmother. She was still sleeping on the couch, as always, oblivious to the world around her. He wanted to talk to her about his feelings, his thoughts, but he knew she was going senile and wouldn't be of much use to him.

He looked out of his window, watching the children outside playing. He found it ironic, how a person his age was afraid to step outside of his front door. Yet, little children went about as if a few moments of terror was a myth. His grandmother called for him, he sighed and moved back downstairs to tend to her.