Hello My Name Is...

That Ever Present Sting

AT SCHOOL....

People had finally stopped blaming Davey for it all. They kept to themselves now, now that he was back in school with more scars before he had left. Some blamed him for Clay's shooting spree, which pissed off a number of people. Whenever an outcast did a killing spring, movies, video games, and music was blamed, never the bullies and cruel tongues. But when a person with repute went and did the same horrendous act, goths, emos, punks, and other social outcasts were blamed for breaking them. Some ignorant people even said that Clay had done the school a favor by trying to clean out the filth and garbage.

People stared at Davey now, he walked with a limp from that maiming bullet that struck his leg. He had to get surgery done, putting pins and screws to replace the gaping whole that once was his kneecap. His left ear was disfigured, ruined by the 'Almost' bullet. He was now partially deaf in his left ear as well, the destroyed ear drum only partially healed. Whenever he entered a classroom, the place would go silent. He was a shambling reminder of a 'Perfect' persons breaking point.

An investigation had gone underway, the motive and reasoning for Clay's downward spiral into homicidal tendencies. He had stolen the weapons from his domineering fathers trophy room, a room full of mounted animal heads, antlers, and of course...guns. His future was shattered like his foot, and his father was disappointed in him. It was go to Duke or go to hell. Feeling rejected, alone, and a failure, Clay did the extreme. He felt he could assuage his anger and hurt pride by killing those who hurt it in the first place. Davey, William, and Seth were his targets. Anyone caught in the crossfire would be chump change. Clay was to go to trial sometime soon, he was most likely going to get the death penalty.

Davey walked up to Alice, who was waiting for him as always. She reached out and hugged him to her, holding him close. He closed his eyes, and returned her embrace, his hand gently caressing her shoulder. Everyday, she'd hug him like this, as if to reassure herself that his boy in front of her was alive and safe.

"How are you doing today? she asked, still clinging to him.

"I'm fine, better than yesterday at least, " Davey said with a faint smile.

"Are people still giving you trouble? You know we can tell the Principle and-,"

Davey silenced her with a gentle finger to her lips, "Shh..it's okay now. It's okay, really."

She nodded and sighed, "You're right. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, c'mon, let's go to class alright? he said, giving her one last squeeze before taking her hand in his.

They walked down the hall, holding hands like boyfriend and girlfriend. They weren't an item, but one could say they had become the best of friends from all of this. People may have looked and judged, but the two of them didn't care. They knew who they were and what anyone else said or thought didn't matter now.

"You know what Davey?" Alice said, turning to face him as they walked hand in hand.

"Mm..what's that?" Davey said, looking at her.

"I'm glad I finally got to know you, the real you."

Davey smiled, "Ditto sweetie, ditto."

But as they walked into class, James passed them, an angry expression marking his face.
He hated them both. He wanted them to suffer, but didn't know how to go about doing it, not yet at least...