Hello My Name Is...

Dancers In The Dark

SATURDAY AT SETH'S HOUSE....

"I'll be home later with dinner! You can reach me on my cell if you need me!"

Seth's mother walked out the door, she was going to go job hunting with a friend. He wished her luck and headed to his usual hangout, his room. He made sure the room was relatively dark, taking his usual place on the bed. He laid there, staring off into the void of his ceiling. He looked over at Elle's portrait, unfinished and still.

"There's a dance happening next weekend...I'm not gonna go, cause my date is dead."

Elle stared at him, her charcoal eyes adjudging and pleasant. He closed his eyes and focused on her, softly repeating her name over and over under his breath.

"Hi, you're back I see!"

Seth smiled to himself, he loved hearing her voice. He couldn't see her, but he could hear her perfectly.

"Hey, yeah. I'm back. Miss me?" he said.

"Of course Seth! I always miss you from where I'm at. So tell me more about this dance hm?"

Seth shrugged, "I dunno, I'm not gonna go. There's not point to it really."

"I disagree. I think it'd be fun and a great way for you to help yourself," Elle argued.

"How? By going to it alone? I'm not going unless I can go with you, and..that's not possible anymore," Seth said bitterly.

"Ask someone else, it's okay Seth. I don't mind. I just want you to be happy."

Seth shook his head, "No, it's fine. I'm happy like this, just you and me, y'know?"

"Have I ever told you, I know how to ballroom dance?" Elle asked, changing the subject.

"No, you never told me. I'd have loved to have seen you, or even try it with you," Seth said sadly.

"We still can! Close your eyes Seth.." Elle said excitedly.

Seth did as he was asked, closing his eyes tight, and focusing on Elle's face and body.
All that there was, was blackness, but after a few moments of concentrating, she'd appear in front of him. She came out of the darkness in a beautiful ballroom gown. She smiled and waved at him.

"You ready?" she asked, offering him her hand.

"Sure, I don't know the first thing about ballroom dance, but I'll catch on," Seth said, taking her hand in his.

Some music started up, the darkness felt like silk as they moved together, her leading, him following as best as he could.

"You're pretty good!" Elle said, smiling as he twirled her.

"You too!" Seth said, smiling broadly.

The darkness melted away, giving way to a brilliantly lit ballroom with highly shined wooden floors. A large chandelier hung above them, and candle light filled the room.

"Wow..." Seth gasped, awestruck.

"I know, isn't it wonderful?" Elle asked, resting her head on his shoulder.

"It seems so real..." Seth said softly.

"It's nothing compared to the real thing. You should go to that dance Seth. I want you to."

Seth sighed in annoyance, "I don't know, I don't think I'm ready yet.."

The music ended, they discontinued the dance. The darkness came back, as they stood there. Elle reached out and touched his face with a warm hand.

"You'll never know if you're ready unless you try. Please, do it, for me?" Elle pleaded.

Seth sighed and nodded reluctantly,"Okay, for you. You know I can't refuse you."

Elle smiled, "Thanks, I know you'll have a good time."

"I doubt that, but I'll try." Seth said, turning away.

"Hey, trying is what matters right?" Elle said, touching his shoulder, "Oh Seth..?"

Seth turned to face her, he saw her looking over his shoulder at something, he turned to see what she was looking at, and saw his mother staring at him.

He opened his eyes, to find his mother standing over him. She had a concerned look on her face, but it soon faded when he focused in on her.

"Oh thank God, I've been calling for you for the past couple of minutes! It's four in the afternoon, why aren't you out of bed?" his mother said, opening a curtain and pulling up the shades. Pale daylight shone in, illuminating the room. A ray of light shone on Elle's skateboard.

"What are your plans for the rest of the day?" his mother asked as she picked up some clothes off of his floor.

Seth smiled to himself and shrugged, "I think I'm gonna go skateboarding."

She tossed the clothes into a basket, "With who?"

Seth got out of bed and grabbed the skateboard, "With Elle."